Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sika for sale

• 23-03-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

just spotted on done deal, one year old sika deer for sale in waterford, sorry if this has already been pointed out! time to re-stock maybe?!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/goats/3128140

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There is a farm down near kill (i think it was) somewhere. I remember passing it and seen them all fenced in. Could be them although I think it was fallow they had. Dont remember seen sika

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

garv123 wrote: »
    There is a farm down near kill (i think it was) somewhere. I remember passing it and seen them all fenced in. Could be them although I think it was fallow they had. Dont remember seen sika

Yeh I know the person in Kill that breed the Deer very nice person but not the same name as in that DoneDeal Ad have not seen him in a few years don't know if he still has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

€300 for a hind and €100 for a stag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 groundskeeper willie

rang him today, 200 for females 100 for males all last years calves. doesnt sound too expensive to me, what would you lads think?

• Advertisement

rang him today, 200 for females 100 for males all last years calves. doesnt sound too expensive to me, what would you lads think?

what would you do with one? You could fork out for one, release it and you might never see it again.
    Im also not sure farmers or caoilte would be too happy with people releasing deer on their land. caoilte had a ingenious idea of charging the highest bidder to cull animals for them that do serious damage to their trees so I don't think they would be happy with people increasing the numbers.
    Same goes for farmers who find deer on their land a nuisance. That's why a lot of them don't care about poachers as long as the numbers of deer on their land drops
    i know if i released rabbits, deer or foxes on permissions i have for my own shooting fun I wouldnt be long losing the permissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 groundskeeper willie

no was thinking bout sticking a few in a paddock at home, what would you think of the price?

no was thinking bout sticking a few in a paddock at home, what would you think of the price?

Having 12 ft fences to keep them from jumping over them would be the biggest expense then:D
    considering what a stag is worth dead that price seems fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

Having 12 ft fences to keep them from jumping over them would be the biggest expense then:D
    considering what a stag is worth dead that price seems fair though.[/Quote]

Ya have to remember they are only year olds not fully grown stags

marcp wrote: »
    considering what a stag is worth dead that price seems fair though.

Ya have to remember they are only year olds not fully grown stags[/QUOTE]

They'll be well able to jump too and they will grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

300 euro is too deer ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZi3WJvhs6t41agBXPuZcVwCEZRleOiwlAjiAbF2nRJRRWmpulsOAHrVgS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Might sound weird but why in gods name would you buy deer ??? Farmers don't want them that's why there letting people shoot them. Just a question

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Might sound weird but why in gods name would you buy deer ??? Farmers don't want them that's why there letting people shoot them. Just a question
    Spunk, there is quite a market for deer meat. So farmers may decide to keep them on large pens. And treat as dry stock cattle, ie fatten up and sell on to slaughter. Also other unscrupulous persons could decide to break the law and buy some to release in their area. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

just spotted on done deal, one year old sika deer for sale in waterford, sorry if this has already been pointed out! time to re-stock maybe?!!

Is this a joke? I seriously hope so. :eek:

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun'), for our own native Irish deer species? :confused:

Worth noting I am against bloodsports. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

muckyhands wrote: »

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun'), for our own native Irish deer species? :confused:

How are a few pen reared sika going to do any harm?

What has blood sports got to do with hunting? we aren't in the
    colosseum :rolleyes:

Sika deer are in ireland with a population of over 20,000 now since the early 1800's, if the land owners in a area agree to let deer on their land its their choice.

How are a few pen reared sika going to do any harm?

A few 'penned' or caged grey squirrel= what exactly?

The near loss at this stage of our own native Red squirrel. :(

Accidents happen- they get- and got- released.

Educate yourself about Sika deer and the damage caused to Irish Forestry and Agriculture, and the danger of interbreeding/ hybrids and its result.

Accidents happen- they get- and got- released.

Educate yourself about Sika deer and the damage caused to Irish Forestry and Agriculture, and the danger of interbreeding/ hybrids and its result.

But yet they have more protection than the native fox?

whats the danger hybrids cause? :confused:

What has blood sports got to do with hunting? we aren't in the
    colosseum :rolleyes:

Sika deer are in ireland with a population of over 20,000 now since the early 1800's, if the land owners in a area agree to let deer on their land its their choice.

Just because Lord Powerscourt in the 1800' s fancied a few 'exotic' deer- makes it no more acceptable or okay than whoever it was in Co. Longford who fancied a few 'exotic' grey squirrels. :rolleyes:

Would we all like to see the extinction and/ or loss of genetic purity of native Irish species of mammals- just because some fella, way back when, wanted to 'show off' what he could get?

• Advertisement

But yet they have more protection than the native fox?

whats the danger hybrids cause? :confused:

Cross Red deer with Sika, what do you get? A hybrid/ a cross of two distinct species-

they are not Sika/ they are not Red deer so this = loss of genetically pure species of Sika and Red deer alike. No longer Sika and no longer Red Deer=

A HYBRID- NOT GOOD FOR A NATIVE IRISH MAMMAL (ie the Red Deer).

Sika are not native.

Who knows, maybe if a lord had of introduced a 'Great Pink Fox' to Ireland, way back when, our Irish Red Fox might be given more protection now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just because Lord Powerscourt in the 1800' s fancied a few 'exotic' deer- makes it no more acceptable or okay than whoever it was in Co. Longford who fancied a few 'exotic' grey squirrels. :rolleyes:

Would we all like to see the extinction and/ or loss of genetic purity of native Irish species of mammals- just because some fella, way back when, wanted to 'show off' what he could get?

The laws are now very strict on the introduction of non-native animals(and plants), and such actions that occured in the past would not now be legal - but we are where we are as regards the deer population in this country and its make up. Whether farmed deer are bought or sold on donedeal or anywhere else is not going to make much of a difference in that respect.

In any case given the availiablity of wild deer in most of the country, I don't know why anyone would bother buying and releasing deer into the wild in Ireland in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

So against 'bloodsports'? Why click into a thread which is in the hunting forum? Simple, if you don't like don't look/read!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    So against 'bloodsports'? Why click into a thread which is in the hunting forum? Simple, if you don't like don't look/read!

Alan...you know yourself they cant help themselves:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Seeing that this happened well over a century ago as did the introduction of various other critters into our eco system,like pike,rainbow trout,fallow deer,magpies and pheasents.Should we massacre all those as well as they werent native either??Seeing that they are well established into our countryside and have protection ,I doubt you could argue that they are invasive now.aS well as that we have a
    good pouplation of reds West of the Shannon,which acts as a natural barrier to the grey.
    Accidents happen- they get- and got- released

Yeah..Usually by anti bloodsport animal libber types!Seeing that ALF claimed that they sabotaged the grey squirrel traps around some Dublin university a few years back.

Is the view good from that very high horse you rode on in here???
    Think you 'll find there are people who have forgotton more than you'll ever learn on Sika,Fallow ,Red ,and Muntjac on this board!!
    So I dont think we need to be told to educate ourselves by an anti of all people!:P

Hmm doesnt this go as well against done deals smug scantimonious policy of not allowing wild animals to be sold on their website???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

It wasnt anyone here that has the ad up so who do you think you are coming on preaching to us? "Anti bloodsports" . . . . . f*cking gaul with nothing else to bother you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭German pointer

I hate to be answering the gob****e but it be best if we ignore him as he is only doing it wind us up. Ignore him and his likes and he will go away and we can have the hunting boards back for hunters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement