Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to put in my calculator make on the exam paper

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yeh ours didn't even mention it.
    It's my own stupid fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

I know you get all paranoid and scared but after going through a hundred papers they really won't be looking for the calculator model. Deep breath and calm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

gemxpink wrote: »

I thought the max you could go in late was 30 minutes though!? :confused:

Pretty sure it's 20
    Sure, if you write it on your paper 2 they'll know anyway. Don't worry about it.

Good point. Both papers are marked by the same person so you'll be fine.
    Besides I'm pretty sure the calculator type is jut required for if they suspected you were cheating and wanted to look deeper into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Victoria. wrote: »
    So does the same examiner correct both of our papers then?

Maths paper 1 and 2 are marked by different examiners.

The marks are submitted separately, and they only get added by the computer that spits out your grade.

In English and Irish the same examiner marks both papers.

But I wouldn't worry about forgetting to write your calculator model. I used to correct LC maths and it was never a big deal unless something strange was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

:eek: damn

=[

• Advertisement

• Victoria. wrote: »
    :eek: damn

=[

He just said he used to correct exams and it's not a problem. Deep breaths :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

The marks are submitted separately, and they only get added by the computer that spits out your grade.

So this notion that if you are close to a pass the examiner will go back over your paper to try and give you an extra mark or two is fairytale stuff as far as maths is concerned. A student could get 24% on paper 1 and 50% on paper 2 giving them an average mark of 37%, 1% off the pass mark in maths which is 38% according to john brennan of countdown to 906. But neither examiner would doublecheck your paper because the paper 2 guy would think you had passed no prob and the paper 1 guy would say there's no point looking back over a 24% paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sazdestar

My examinar reminded us but he jst said it was to make sure that the calculater wasnt holding any info and answers so i wouldnt worry urself.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

SirDarren wrote: »
    I thought that too, but sure couldn't you just bring in a super-calculator and still write down the model of a normal calculator?
    I think in theory the superintendent checks that the model matches your calculator as they collect your paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yeah, they don't check. the whole calculator thing is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

My examiner won't let us take home the paper if we leave early.
    Is she allowed do that?

Yes, as BarnHall Bull said,
    Not only is she allowed, she is required to take the paper if you're leaving early....

And it's in the Candidate Information Booklet:
    http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/LC_Candidate_EV_2010.pdf
    "59. A candidate who leaves the examination hall before the expiration of any
    period of examination must surrender his/her examination paper and answer
    book to the Superintendent."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Of course it won't make a difference! Jebus I know it's the leaving but the things some people get panic attacks over!:rolleyes:

Maybe they'll think you didn't use one and that your a genius!! A1 for you dude! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

emanresu wrote: »
    A candidate who leaves the examination hall before the expiration of any
    [/FONT]
    period of examination must surrender

surprised they don't have a guy in the car park with a megaphone 'come out with your hands up'

pathway33 wrote: »
    So this notion that if you are close to a pass the examiner will go back over your paper to try and give you an extra mark or two is fairytale stuff as far as maths is concerned. A student could get 24% on paper 1 and 50% on paper 2 giving them an average mark of 37%, 1% off the pass mark in maths which is 38% according to john brennan of countdown to 906. But neither examiner would doublecheck your paper because the paper 2 guy would think you had passed no prob and the paper 1 guy would say there's no point looking back over a 24% paper.

Correct. And even if you're close to a boundary on one paper, there's no point in an examiner looking back over it, because he or she knows that it's unlikely that your combined mark is close to a boundary.

Apply the scheme, record the marks, move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thay really do take it all Sooooo seriously. Thats the only scary thing about the leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

They only need the make of the calculator if you have gotten an answer correct with no work shown. They get suspicious cause there is special calculators than can do quadratics for you and things to that effect therefore considering you didn't cheat with a calculator you'll be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

Correct. And even if you're close to a boundary on one paper, there's no point in an examiner looking back over it, because he or she knows that it's unlikely that your combined mark is close to a boundary.

Apply the scheme, record the marks, move on!

WRONG.. Paper 1 and 2 are corrected by same examiner one after the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

It doesn't matter our examiner said...word for word "you don't have too but your corrector will just think you're lazy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barry_boi

It's just to make sure you don't use a programmable one.
    My examiner won't let us take home the paper if we leave early.
    Is she allowed do that?

yeah our examiner is doin the same, but the students in the other exam centres are allowed bring their papers out, i guess its just up to the examiner

• Advertisement

Heaso77 wrote: »
    WRONG.. Paper 1 and 2 are corrected by same examiner one after the other..

So, all those years I spent marking paper 2 only, there was nobody at all marking the poor students' paper 1s - what a travesty. Call for an enquiry immediately! Thousands of people are due upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Annalee Cuddly Poplin

So, all those years I spent marking paper 2 only, there was nobody at all marking the poor students' paper 1s - what a travesty. Call for an enquiry immediately! Thousands of people are due upgrades.

I was told the same thing, by a teacher who does mark papers...

holden_spraypaint.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

barry_boi wrote: »
    yeah our examiner is doin the same, but the students in the other exam centres are allowed bring their papers out, i guess its just up to the examiner

They're not supposed to be let out to the public until the exam is finished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 darren64228

did you lose marks do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 darren64228

Am I doomed? Will I lose marks? I'm so worried....:(
    did you lose marks do you know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't drag up old threads.
    The OP hasn't been online since last year. I'm sure they were fine.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement