Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin CD recruitment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

Headquarters is Roscrea, and funded by local authority civic funds, absolutely nothing to do with the army whatsoever

that is wrong civil defence is also overseen by the dept of defence,
    The Civil Defence Board was established by Order of the Minister for Defence in May 2003, when the Board took over the responsibility of managing and developing the Civil Defence organisation at national level from the Department of Defence. this has however changed again and the dept has taken responsibility again

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Headquarters is Roscrea, and funded by local authority civic funds, absolutely nothing to do with the army whatsoever

that is wrong civil defence is also overseen by the dept of defence,
    The Civil Defence Board was established by Order of the Minister for Defence in May 2003, when the Board took over the responsibility of managing and developing the Civil Defence organisation at national level from the Department of Defence. this has however changed again and the dept has taken responsibility again

It's not lads, contact your local CDO or city manager etc for clarification... If anything they're making moves to put it under the Dept of the Environment...

The word defence doesn't automatically mean army. Nor does Dept of Defence. The role of Civil Defence has nothing whatsoever to do with the PDF, RDF or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Because Civil Defence is run by the army (defence forces). Allot of people.. in dublin anyway, the older generation are aware that cd is also (hmmm what wording to use..) alongside the army..

The Department of Defence and the Army are not one and the same. CD has nothing to do with the army or the defence forces. It's not run by the army, alongside the army or anything else of that nature.

I have to wonder at how little some members seem to know about their own organisation. I say this as one of the "older generation" of CD members, as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The CD is going back into the department of defence if you read the CDs own website you will see that

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056327463

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Which part?? the army part??? Because Civil Defence is run by the army (defence forces). Allot of people.. in dublin anyway, the older generation are aware that cd is also (hmmm what wording to use..) alongside the army..

CD used to be part of the Dept of Defence and the CDO used to be ex army, but this is no longer the case.
    I have never had contact with the army through the CD.

• Advertisement

The CD is going back into the department of defence if you read the CDs own website you will see that

Yes indeed, I'm aware of this and have been for some time.

The key point here is that being under the remit of the DoD (and CD always was, even when the board was in place - incidentally, the board will be around for another year or so, until the new CD bill goes through the oireachtas) in no way means that CD is part of the army, defence forces, or anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

lads im positive the defence forces are taking care of cd.. it was always the case but they left the board in charge to take care of nitter natter... the act was put in place again to have the defence force take care o it again.. note why people arent sure of the cd role now arising into cd duties and also dublin cdo is due up soon and people arent sure whether the forces will put an ex-army officer in place or if the role be advertised to be filled by another person.. check with the unnofficial cd site for the admin to clear it up.. but to my awareness this is the case..

They do also part fund cd..

Arent defence forces the army?? to my knowledge i thought they were??

lads im positive the defence forces are taking care of cd.. it was always the case but they left the board in charge to take care of nitter natter... the act was put in place again to have the defence force take care o it again.. note why people arent sure of the cd role now arising into cd duties and also dublin cdo is due up soon and people arent sure whether the forces will put an ex-army officer in place or if the role be advertised to be filled by another person.. check with the unnofficial cd site for the admin to clear it up.. but to my awareness this is the case..

They do also part fund cd..

Good stuff... Check an unofficial site to get facts ;)

The CDO role in Dublin was filled by ex defence forces staff true but EX defence forces hardly means it's under the remit of the army. Someone can retire from the Gardai and get a job in insurance or similar it does not mean the Gardai are running the insurance company...

It's not under the army, in the army, part of the army or beside the army. Please move on from that fact :(

Check out www.civildefence.ie (that's an official site btw) which will clarify that it used to be under the remit of the DoD (not army) but was placed under it's own board of governance for all decisions, not just "nitter natter"

I don't see why the Irish army of all organisations should be thought of being in charge of an organisation that actually does a job...

Man, i really think you are getting the facts wrong.. the unofficial site has way more activity than the OFFICIAL FORUM, and the unofficial site members are cd vols and officers so if you are looking for answers, why not go there, its likely to be answered by officers who actually know what they're talking about...

With regards ex garda being in insurance not being run by the gards, these are two complete different examples, the facts are, because cd was under dod, the forces placed the acdo there, they have that authority because they have the control... Are you even a member of cd?? because these facts you are bringing up dont even equate.. seriously like.. Ps saying because its an unofficial site it doesn have to mean whats said is wrong.. boards.ie isnt official yet you are on this to check info.. if you want a question on insurance (hint hint) you would go on this to get it checked, to see what the members say.. your argument is weak (in my opinion)

• Advertisement

Dublinrescuer, I'm a CD instructor / vol officer etc etc.

Trust me the army or defence ofrces aren't involved in any way shape or form.

End of.

Hmmm apparently im mistaken so.. sorry lads... lol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

you are expected to perform at your best as you represent not just the emergency services, but the army too

ok so the army comment is explained but how can you say that CD represents the emergency services. I'm sure they wouldn't see it in the same light

God end my pain lol.. The cd to the emergency services is their backup... we are a valued service and known ... we represent the emergency services when out on duty and on call... simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

God end my pain lol.. The cd to the emergency services is their backup... we are a valued service and known ... we represent the emergency services when out on duty and on call... simple as

You represent the organisation, you are VOLUNTEERING with not the emergency services.
    Im sorry but it's that kind of attitude that often portrays the vols in a bad way with frontline staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

d3exile wrote: »
    Check out www.civildefence.ie (that's an official site btw) which will clarify that it used to be under the remit of the DoD (not army) but was placed under it's own board of governance for all decisions, not just "nitter natter"

I don't see why the Irish army of all organisations should be thought of being in charge of an organisation that actually does a job...

feel free to correct me here but didnt Alan Shatter announce in July that the CD was now under the Dept of Defence again and thus dissolved the old board and created a new one pretty much filled with DOD staff?

indeed the CD as does IRC, OMAC & St Johns. While the former are statutory the latter are also mobilised just as much.

The old board was at the end of its term, and was being changed anyway. The current board will be in place until legislation passes to repeal the necessary parts of the Civil Defence Act (around a year apparently). I will be very surprised if the new DoD arrangements do not include some form of consultative committee with the volunteers, CDOs and external agencies like the board did.

The new board is made up of the same categories of people as previous ones, the DoD always had representation on the Board. Even with the Board in place, the DoD retained responsibilty for and oversight over CD all along.

Going by the names of the new board, some of the new DoD nominees were involved with CD as instructors in the past, so in many ways would be more suitable that some previous nominees who had no other involvement with CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

You represent the organisation, you are VOLUNTEERING with not the emergency services.
    Im sorry but it's that kind of attitude that often portrays the vols in a bad way with frontline staff.

+1

Thought i'd give him a shot at digging up.....unfortunately not

ps just wondeing how often is CD in dublin 'on call representing the frontline services'. Are you referring to being on duty?

+1

Thought i'd give him a shot at digging up.....unfortunately not

ps just wondeing how often is CD in dublin 'on call representing the frontline services'. Are you referring to being on duty?

yes. some people get carried away with the whole thing. I believe Pat short parodied it with his CD sketch.
    I have been on frontline duty with the emergency services doing a job, that a monkey could do. I was given orders to do one thing, while security and the guards, with whom I was directly working, were doing the opposite. apparently everyone was given a different briefing but supposed to be working together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Are the CD having another recruitment drive soon?

Like so many others, I want to join the DFB when they start recruiting again, so was hoping the AFS would be good experience for that!

However if the AFS is impossible to get into then I'm open to doing other stuff.

Where do I apply?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Are the CD having another recruitment drive soon?

Like so many others, I want to join the DFB when they start recruiting again, so was hoping the AFS would be good experience for that!

However if the AFS is impossible to get into then I'm open to doing other stuff.

Where do I apply?

Thanks

Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?

Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?

That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

f97fc19c.jpg

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

f97fc19c.jpg

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...

They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??

f97fc19c.jpg

They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??

They are so long as chin straps aren't attached. That's according to the DFB Swift Water Rescue crews that qualified the DCD crews to 'Water Awareness' level, anyway... and the same opinion would be held by DCD's own SRT's as well.

Anything else??? :)

Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics

apparently everyone wants to join the AFS to get into DFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i completed a occupational first aid course last week and hope to keep my skills fresh as well as offer them for use in a crisis situation. as well as expanding my skill set. i was looking into volintering with the civil defense. i filled in a short form asking me my email and tel number last week.

is there a backlog of applications or do they just process them on a certin time of year?

i have alot of questions about the commitments needed to be a member as i work mainly on weekends i am wondering would this rule me out? its not that i could not get the occasional one off but not every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Fuinseog wrote: »
    are CD search and Rescue units highly trained in things like mountain rescue or in the case of a call out, just another body?
    Mountain & cave rescue is handled by a separate set of voluntary organisations (see www.mountainrescue.ie).

The MR teams from time to time do work with CD, e.g Reek Sunday on Croagh Patrick.

• Advertisement

i completed a occupational first aid course last week and hope to keep my skills fresh as well as offer them for use in a crisis situation. as well as expanding my skill set. i was looking into volintering with the civil defense. i filled in a short form asking me my email and tel number last week.

is there a backlog of applications or do they just process them on a certin time of year?

i have alot of questions about the commitments needed to be a member as i work mainly on weekends i am wondering would this rule me out? its not that i could not get the occasional one off but not every week.

Doubt it would rule you out, call DCD HQ on 01-6772699 and ask there whats the story with your application, as far as I know rules have slackened slightly and now a lot of people are starting directly with their chosen units...

Ask for a meeting or talk on the phone with the CDO or assistant if you have any queries about your availability they will be able to say whether it would work or not

Advertisement