Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Family Income Supplement

• 27-02-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all, I am hoping that somebody can help point me in the right direction.
    My situation is basically this.
    I am a divorced mother of two, have always worked, and was made redundant last July. I am lucky in that I only signed on for two weeks, before getting a new job, and this is where the problem starts.
    I now work part-time ( still looking for full time work, applied to every suitable job online, even got interviews).
    I have a 20 hour a week contract, and work 4 hrs per day, 5 days per week , early mornings. As I work over 5 days, I am not entitled to JSB.
    I applied in September for Family Income Supplement, and after numerous telephone calls, have been informed that I have been refused, on the basis that I haven't worked enough hours.
    Apparently if I was paid by the week, I would have to prove 19 hrs worked, If I get paid bi-weekly I would have to prove 38 hrs worked, but because I get paid by the month, the maths changes, they calculate as follows;
    19 hrs x 52 weeks = 988 hrs , this is then divided by 12 months which is equal to 82.33 hours.
    According to all the qualifying criteria you have to be working 19 hrs per week, which in a given 4 week period means that a person on weekly pay has to prove 76 hrs paid employment, but I am being asked to prove 82.33 hrs!
    On a 20hr contract, I cannot make up 82.33 hours in a four week period, which is mostly how I get paid. (per calendar month)
    How is this fair? I have worked at least the required 76 hrs in the four week period, but been turned down.
    I am trying to stay in employment, but at this stage I am actually financially less well off than if I didn't work at all
    I understand how they have come up with this figure, and if I was on a salaried position rather than hourly paid , this would work, but I am not, and my pay schedule is worked out over a calendar month, not a 12th of a year.
    Has anybody else had this problem, and if so , how do I get sorted?
    We are in dire straits at the moment, and the very nice lady and gentlemen in the Citizens Information Centre couldn't get their heads around this either . Any help or advice would be sincerely and gratefully received.
    Thank you for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

You are being asked to prove at least 82.33 hours worked in a calendar month, so your payslip for January should suffice.

From what you said, in January you would have worked:
    2nd - 6th = 5 x 4hrs.
    9th - 13th = 5 x 4hrs.
    16th - 20th = 5 x 4hrs.
    23rd - 27th = 5 x 4hrs.
    30th & 31st = 2 x 4hrs.

totalling 88 hours in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

They need more than one month, and as I will only meet this criteria 4 times in a year , they have turned me down, it's the unfairness of it that kills me.
    I will have to appeal, so after almost 6 months waiting for this decision, I have to start again to argue my case

• Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

This should work for at least 7 months out of 12.

The only months for which it will not work are February, and any 30 day month beginning on a Saturday.

So, it will always work for the majority of months in a year.
    Perhaps that would help your argument.

Although, I think it would be very unfair for the denial of your claim to be based on something so trivial.

Very best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Thanks, I think I am going to have a fight on my hands though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What dose your P60 show for last year ie- hours payed for, over how many days per month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are my entitled to fis I work 33 hours and am a parent to 2 children

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Zombie thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement