Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked iPhone 4 on 48- No service

• 21-02-2012 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey guys,
    I've got a factory unlocked iPhone 4 currently running iOS 5.0.1 that I bought online from Apple in February of last year. Used it on Vodafone, Meteor and Three without issue. I switched to 48 last weekend however, and the phone is not activating. Both iTunes and the phone display this message:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card."

The strange thing is, I tried the sim in unlocked Nokia and Blackberry phones and it works. When I tried the sim in another unlocked iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 I got the same message.
    I've tried everything- restoring and updating from DFU mode, jail breaking and installing SAMprefs, even activating using other sims from O2 and Vodafone and then trying to hacktivate the phone using the 48 sim through jailbreak by installing a custom profile containing 48's APN settings- pretty much anything that Google has come up with I've done, and nothing has worked.

I emailed 48 support on saturday, twice they just suggested googling for a solution as there are a lot of similar iPhone cases around the world, and they linked me to suggested solutions they thought might work- no joy, but at least they were fast replying and tried to help.

I called Apple later that day, they said it could be to do with the software on the phone or that the network is so new- however an unlocked iPhone 3GS' I have seen on the 48 network does not have this problem. I've yet to hear anything back from apple regarding the matter.

Is there anybody else out there with the same kind of problem? Is it possible 48 have to submit iPhone carrier setting to Apple to have make their sim cards supported or something? Feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall at the moment, so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

engizmo wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I've got a factory unlocked iPhone 4 currently running iOS 5.0.1 that I bought online from Apple in February of last year. Used it on Vodafone, Meteor and Three without issue. I switched to 48 last weekend however, and the phone is not activating. Both iTunes and the phone display this message:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card."

The strange thing is, I tried the sim in unlocked Nokia and Blackberry phones and it works. When I tried the sim in another unlocked iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 I got the same message.
    I've tried everything- restoring and updating from DFU mode, jail breaking and installing SAMprefs, even activating using other sims from O2 and Vodafone and then trying to hacktivate the phone using the 48 sim through jailbreak by installing a custom profile containing 48's APN settings- pretty much anything that Google has come up with I've done, and nothing has worked.

I emailed 48 support on saturday, twice they just suggested googling for a solution as there are a lot of similar iPhone cases around the world, and they linked me to suggested solutions they thought might work- no joy, but at least they were fast replying and tried to help.

I called Apple later that day, they said it could be to do with the software on the phone or that the network is so new- however an unlocked iPhone 3GS' I have seen on the 48 network does not have this problem. I've yet to hear anything back from apple regarding the matter.

Is there anybody else out there with the same kind of problem? Is it possible 48 have to submit iPhone carrier setting to Apple to have make their sim cards supported or something? Feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall at the moment, so any help would be appreciated!
    I have a similar prob on 3
    No fix found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Try and use a Vodafone or O2 sim card to activate the phone then put the 48 sim in and it should work fine.

48 wouldn't be an offical iPhone carrier yet so I'd say thats what is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I had that problem with my 4s when i first inserted the 48 sim i toggled airplane mode on off and it worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 engizmo

48 got back to me eventually guys- turned out it was the sim, and they had that exact problem when they troubleshooted it on a 3GS they had- using a new sim with the same number on it seemed to solve the problem for them.

Awaiting the arrival of the replacement sim now, fingers crossed it'll work this time

• Registered Users Posts: 8 prety

I would not recommend this 48 months network. Got mine few days ago and topup 10euro. I can not make any phone call to any network except freecall to 1800xxxxxx. Be careful, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bazilbush

Similar story here. Finally got a 48 sim. Ordered several micro-sim's but none came after 4 weeks of waiting. Ordered a normal sim and it came instantly. Cut the sim down to micro size and now get "No Service" on my unlocked iphone 4 with it. Also get "Restricted Network" errors...the sim is detected by the phone though as I've to put the new pin in.

Tried it then on an unlocked nokia, and nothing either.

Faulty sim???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I have an i phone 4 on 48 and have no issues whatsoever, working perfectly. I cut my sim down to micro sim with a special cutter.

How did you cut your sim?

Scissors with the micro-sim size marked out making sure I dont wreck the important part of the chip.

I've done it before and pretty sure its not the problem....seeing as I can enter the pin I'm confident its working

Must be a sim issue if it won't work in a nokia either.

All sorted now. Think I just had to be patient!

• Advertisement

What solved it?

Think the 48 site was just down for a bit....not sure really. But its all good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommy_mck

how long did you have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eh?

..waiting nearly 3 weeks now with a 4s (μsim). My number doesn't seem to be fully ported over - 'we have not managed to complete your number transfer yet. It seems like it has got stuck somewhere along the way'. I can recieve calls only from other 48 customers, but can't topup coz its the original sim card on on my 48 profile. Bounced between 4-5 48 'support' people, assured that the 'techies' will be fixing it / in work soon. Right.

How'd your experience fare out engizmo? I'm thinking of trying another sim as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddysca

HI.

I received a micro sim from 48 yesterday and it works perfectly in a blackberry via an adapter and then when i try to activate my iphone 4 using my new micro sim i get this sim card is no supported by the carrier only supported carriers can be used when activating this phone, so then i i activated the phone using a vodafone sim card and the i put in my 48 sim card hoping it would work and all i got was this is a locked sim card so i unlocked the sim card and it displayed no service on the top left corner so i turned on and off the airplane mode a few time to see if that would work and the it displayed invalid sim in the top corner.

The phone is definately open to all networks because i tried it with meteor sim. o2 sim and a vodafone sim.

A friend of mine has an iphone 4 and it is also fully unlocked and he just put his 48 micro sim into it and it worked perfectly without have to do any thing!!!

Any suggestions ???

Thanks for reading:

Thats very strange. Has the sim has gotten damaged somehow?? If your iphone is 100% defo factory unlocked and will take other sims, then I've no idea.

For what its worth, I found the data terrible with 48 and switched to 3 instead. Could never pick up 3G and was lucky to get EDGE. Total ****e. The free calls didnt make up for it.

Hope you get your phone sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddysca

thanks for the reply no the sim is perfect aswell because i am currently using it in my blackberry without a bother !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone tried using 48months on an iPhone with Sky Go (over 3G or Wifi)? Does it work ok?

Advertisement