Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Remember to milk your fingers, get rid of the first drop, don't take from the very tip of the finger, might make a difference, use alcohol wipes first as well.

Sounds like alot and to be honest i don't do half of those things anymore but they are all meant to improve the accuracy.

Meters can vary quite a bit but so can your sugars, so the +/- 7% is a very conservative view, I'd be more of the opinion(not fact) of 1 or 2mmol/L variance on your actual levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for asking so many questions, seeing as getting medical advice is 2 years away :)

Today checked bloods around 10am and got 12.7, which was nuts considering I had done nothing out of the ordinary. Tested again and got 5.7. Question, If you delay turning on the tester and getting blood onto the strip, or have trouble with the strip, can it give false readings. I had the same issue in the afternoon, delayed the blood onto the strip, then it read 2.5 !!! I knew I was fine, checked again and was 6.3 or something
    I suppose my only thought is, the +/-7% how real is that?

Also as I was told there was a waiting list for two years in the Waterford clinic, I did not do anymore on this. What way do you apply to go on the waiting list?

You should contact your local Health Promotion Service and get yourself a place on their next Structure Patient Education Course (Xpert). This is a free 6 week course that should bring you well up to speed on looking after yourself and your diabetes.
    http://www.indi.ie/docs/1479_X-PERT_Flyer_for_Pt_recruitment.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Nice one Teacosy, Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

teacosy wrote: »
    You should contact your local Health Promotion Service and get yourself a place on their next Structure Patient Education Course (Xpert). This is a free 6 week course that should bring you well up to speed on looking after yourself and your diabetes.
    http://www.indi.ie/docs/1479_X-PERT_Flyer_for_Pt_recruitment.pdf
    They'll just tell you they don't have enough people to run a course at the minute and they'll get back to you when they do.

Of course you'll hear nothing and have to ring them again, where they will feed you the same bullshit....6 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭PopTarts

This might be a stupid question. :)

How easy is it to be tested for diabetes?

Recently I've been having that tingling / numbness in my toes. I know this is a symptom.

Could this be just from a general overload of sugar in my system?

I was tested a year ago and there was no concerns but in the last 3 months my diet has been sh*t and has involved a load of sugar (I'm cutting down now).

Can diabetes develop in a number of months?

I know I need to go to Dr to be tested but just a tad worried :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

PopTarts wrote: »

Recently I've been having that tingling / numbness in my toes. I know this is a symptom.

I was tested a year ago and there was no concerns but in the last 3 months my diet has been sh*t and has involved a load of sugar (I'm cutting down now).

it's very easy. It takes literally 10 seconds. It can develop in a number of months. Your tingling could be any number of things, and you should definitely follow up with your doctor, but I've never heard of a case where tinging and numbness was the only symptom - generally a huge thirst and constant peeing are the tell-tale signs. If you don't have those, the tingling could be a warning sign that you could get diabetes if you don't sort yourself out (I assume we're talking type 2 here - are you overweight?)

Listen, there's no point in putting off going to your doctor because you're worried. I understand the logic behind that, believe me, but the doc is there to help. If you *do* have diabetes, you need to start treatment asap. If not, you need to stop worrying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PopTarts wrote: »

One of the things about Type 1 Diabetes is that it can come on very quickly, like a matter of weeks. Generally, the doctor will do a blood test initially, and if the blood glucose levels are high(should be a fasting test) you'd be referred in for more tests then.

Hypos suck! I'm currently at 2.8mmol, shaking like a leaf, dizzy, and stuffing jolly ranchers and Hershey's kisses into me.:):eek::(:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Hypos suck! I'm currently at 2.8mmol, shaking like a leaf, dizzy, and stuffing jolly ranchers and Hershey's kisses into me.:):eek::(:o
    2.8 - I was 1.7 earlier:P! I find toffee is better for lows, higher GI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

my bloods all over the place this week, had a cold, nearly gone now, so hopefully back to normal after weekend. They were highish last Saturday and went to a family do and said fe ck it, and eat desert at the meal, which I have not done in a long time, took an extra tablet to combat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Have had a nice evening with a curry and a couple of drinks. Once again reminded what a pain in the arse it is trying to work out an accurate dose of a potentially fatal drug when slightly inebriated.

I can relate - I tend to eat safer in the evening and eat what I want within reason at lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nothing to say really, just didnt want the thread going to page 3 because i might forget where to find it:P

Bumping, tut tut, now what did i come hear to say again ;)

Losing my good control lately (well the last week) so tired from work that I can't tell when my bloods are high or low, feel horrific. Started when I dislocated my patella last week and haven't had any excercise sine.

Hopefully back out on the bike tomorrow to get going again, put on half a stone in a week, not good.

Hope that you feel better soon!

Easter coming up - looking forward to chocolate overload.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My numbers have been particularly messed up in the mornings recently with numbers in the mid teens...except for today when I got a reading of 6.4 on getting out of bed. Wish I knew what was going on different. :confused:

Have you ruled out the usual suspects (temperature of your insulin/stress/illness?) Otherwise just keep a close eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Here's an update from http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=20535 on the free GP care for people on long term illness.

Sounds like it's held up by buerocracy (I didn't spell that right-did I?). Sometimes I think this country is all about "the gimme's". :rolleyes:

robinph wrote: »
    My numbers have been particularly messed up in the mornings recently with numbers in the mid teens...except for today when I got a reading of 6.4 on getting out of bed. Wish I knew what was going on different. :confused:
    Could the hour going forward, good weather combo be throwing you out? My readings are all elevated this week too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Could the hour going forward, good weather combo be throwing you out? My readings are all elevated this week too
    Phew. Thought it was just me:o. My routine is pretty much the same as last week when i could barely raise above 6 and now struggle to get it below 6:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thought it may have been down to me only just getting properly back into training regularly again so my activity levels properly matching my pump settings...but then this morning was another 13. :(

More overnight basal testing needed by the looks of it, the daytime numbers are all pretty much right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I've had three hypos this week, I'm putting it down to the weather. Temperature can have an effect on insulin sensitivity

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hope that you feel better soon!

Easter coming up - looking forward to chocolate overload.

Got out on the bike last night, knee is a bit sore/stiff but spins fine.

Hypo'd this morning in the middle of a lecture, first time and not pleasant. I did get to use it to show them less obvious symptoms of hypoglycaemia eg confusion, tiredness, paleness, lack of focus, sweating.

To which one student shouted up "so no change there then" :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I've had three hypos this week, I'm putting it down to the weather. Temperature can have an effect on insulin sensitivity

Me too!!! Everyone else is basking in the sun and I'm shivering with the cold like its the bloody Artic.
    Relief to know its not just me.

CramCycle wrote: »

Hypo'd this morning in the middle of a lecture, first time and not pleasant. I did get to use it to show them less obvious symptoms of hypoglycaemia eg confusion, tiredness, paleness, lack of focus, sweating.

I have nightmares about this happening . One minute it's all discoursing knowledgeably on the Reformation next it's me speaking gibberish, sweating, squinting at the screen and generally staggering around the place in front of 300 or so students. :eek:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have nightmares about this happening . One minute it's all discoursing knowledgeably on the Reformation next it's me speaking gibberish, sweating, squinting at the screen and generally staggering around the place in front of 300 or so students. :eek:

Good test to see whos paying attention :p

Back in my undergrad days I remember a guy from the year below me running upto me on an introduction day, grabbing me and dragging me into a hall where a lecturer was siezing. He had seen an insulin pen and realised what was happening. Sent him running to the pharmacy to get a glucagon injection under my name and explain I needed it. Nurses came over but didn't know what to do, and started to give out that I had no clue what I was at. Head of Department came in and warned me about doing anything as I could be in alot of trouble. Told him I didn't really care in less polite tones. Got a small bit of lucozade into him when he had periods of apparent lucidness, bloods came back up, and then he sat up and told me that he was trying to tell me that there was a glucagon shot in his bag (I heard none of it).

It was awesome (for me, felt like a doctor/paramedic out of E.R., not for him).

Difficult to answer survey question to fill in this morning, was to do with sports research. Can't quite remember the exact wording...but anyway:

"Do you have any disabilities that effect you doing stuff?
    No
    Yes a little
    Yes a lot

If yes what type of disability?
    a)physical
    b)something
    c)illness such as asthma, diabetes, etc, etc
    d)something"

It did actually let me select both the "No" option as well as the type of disability option. I expect they will think I'm an idiot and cannot fill in forms correctly though in their anaysis of the results.

I can't sensibly fill in something claiming that I have a disability though, I don't count the mere fact of needing drugs to stay alive as disabling me from doing anything.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    CramCycle wrote: »

I hypoed one day at work - working the public office front desk... I was talking some gibberish for a while, before I realised I was talking crap!

My husband is the first aider where we work, thankfully...

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My husband is the first aider where we work, thankfully...

I'm the first aider in my little group of offices....:eek:

Thankfully, all the people who share my little building are disgustingly healthy and, being kind folk, drop into my office periodically with offerings of fruit juice - just in case. I have a lot of fruit juice...

Advertisement