Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Is there any effect on flavour after putting the foam in? Probably more likely to flood the coil rather than leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Just a small suggestion for this thread.
    It's ok for those of us that know what it is but for anyone else coming onto the forum they won't have a clue what we are talking about.

At least post an introduction to the RDA.
    What is it?
    Where do you buy one & cost?
    How do you repair?
    Materials.
    Pics.
    Videos.

Mewso would probably edit the first post if someone wrote something up and sent it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

The homepage of the guy who makes the RDA with all the information you need about it:

http://clockworks-cornwall.co.uk/

How to replace and make a new coil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAzcF3eaWVE&feature=player_embedded

http://ukvapers.com/topic/9253-clockworks-rta-and-rda-fitting-a-wick/

derra wrote: »
    Just a small suggestion for this thread.
    It's ok for those of us that know what it is but for anyone else coming onto the forum they won't have a clue what we are talking about.

At least post an introduction to the RDA.
    What is it?
    Where do you buy one & cost?
    How do you repair?
    Materials.
    Pics.
    Videos.

Mewso would probably edit the first post if someone wrote something up and sent it to him.

I posted a few links but I'm useless with text...maybe someone else would like to try

Is there any effect on flavour after putting the foam in? Probably more likely to flood the coil rather than leaking?

I'd say the flavour is better if anything. I used a piece of blue foam about the same height as the posts and the width of the distance between them and held it in place while putting the cover on. If you have any old cartridges lying about you could cut a strip of the filling or if you're near a pet store I think you can use the fluval that's used in aquariums. You can get the blue foam from Paradise Vape or Cloud 9 (that I know of) and it's very cheap and a rinse under the tap and dry with kitchen paper and it's good to go again.

• Advertisement

Got some wire from this guy today. Haven't tried it yet but his prices seem fairly good:

http://stores.ebay.ie/bestwireshop

Bubba9 wrote: »
    I posted a few links but I'm useless with text...maybe someone else would like to try

Just copy & paste those links into the first post maybe, ya can't edit after a day or so which means a moderator would have to do it.

Bubba9 wrote: »
    Got some wire from this guy today. Haven't tried it yet but his prices seem fairly good:

http://stores.ebay.ie/bestwireshop

I do buy my .20 wire from him.

It's not wrapped around in a spool so ya have to be careful when taking a piece off it.

or

wires.co.uk has a lifetime supply available in a spool.

125g 0.2mm Nickel Chrome Wire

Ref: NC0200-125

Price: £13.05 (~€16.31) (Excluding VAT at 20%)

0.200mm 36 SWG Bare Nickel Chrome Wire (also known as Nichrome Wire / Hot Wire Cutter / Foam Cutter / Heater Wire / Element Wire)

Data: approx 34.4 ohms per metre, 125 gram = approx 478 metres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im getting very conused by my RDAs atm

i have the 2.5ohm coils, they are vaping great at higher voltages.. but I have to push them to 5.7-5.8v to get a decent vape out of them

the voltage under load is 5.7V on the throathit readout and with the multimeter says 5.5 but i've pushed 3 ohm boge cartomisers at 5.5v before and this is nothing like that.. it's almost like a boge carto at 4.5-4.6V.

im still getting a great vape it's just confusing me how I can be pushing a 2.5ohm coil at this voltage and not tearing the throat off myself... maybe the wick is so thick that the coil is just constantly being saturated so even though the voltage is that high it is having trouble heating up?

Have mine on a normal eGo battery at the moment which is 3.3v and 1.7 coil and i'm getting a very decent vape out of that using 6mg juice.

Getting a very smooth draw, the TH hits me a bit harsh which is the bit i don't like about it, decent amount of vapour.

Gonna do another one now with .15 Nichrome, 5 turns which should get me around the 2.4 Ohm mark.

Can't imagine i be hitting it at 5.7 v tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Aaaaaagh....I'm reading all yer chat about coils and wicks and ohms and voltages and so on and I have nothing to make one for and would really like to.

The postman better bring the RTA tomorrow or I am going to have a terribly long non coil and wick making weekend! Sorry for butting in I just had to get that off my chest :D

yeah, it should be around 12 watts but.. no way is this 12 watts

like.. the vape im getting at 5.7 is roundabout the vape I want, but i should be getting it around 4-7-5v, the fact that I have to push it so high is real strange

newmark wrote: »
    Aaaaaagh....I'm reading all yer chat about coils and wicks and ohms and voltages and so on and I have nothing to make one for and would really like to.

The postman better bring the RTA tomorrow or I am going to have a terribly long non coil and wick making weekend! Sorry for butting in I just had to get that off my chest :D

you're gona be fiddling with mesh wicks, whole other world of pain :)

It's kind of addictive. Trying small differences in resistance, longer or shorter wicks, different wick materials, different wire and on and on and on..........and only costs cents!!

It's kind of addictive. Trying small differences in resistance, longer or shorter wicks, different wick materials, different wire and on and on and on..........and only costs cents!!

yeah one of these days i'm going to go longer than a day without tearing it all apart and starting all over again...

SDCC Sounds to me that the mod is struggling to heat up too much juice with the 4 wicks as its gonna take twice the power to heat up the amount of juice that's in 4. did you try it out on the lavatube as well at 5.8volts to see if its the same?

yeah, it should be around 12 watts but.. no way is this 12 watts

like.. the vape im getting at 5.7 is roundabout the vape I want, but i should be getting it around 4-7-5v, the fact that I have to push it so high is real strange

Done a 5 turn coil with .15 Nichrome which came out at 2.2 Ohms, 4.2 on the twist and i still get that little harshness of a TH.

No matter what way i do it i get that so will just accept that's what it is for now with the RDA.

I'll send you the a2 on Tuesday set up and ready to use.
    Not risking it being lost in some sorting office over the long weekend :D

Maybe it's that you just need to try another repairable, something to compare with. I don't know tbh.

newmark wrote: »
    SDCC Sounds to me that the mod is struggling to heat up too much juice with the 4 wicks as its gonna take twice the power to heat up the amount of juice that's in 4. did you try it out on the lavatube as well at 5.8volts to see if its the same?

no, LT batts aren't charged and i cba waiting five hours for them to charge :)

I tested the voltage under load with the meter though so it's definitely hitting the voltage it says it is, or near enough to it anyway. reads 5.7v is hitting 5.5v according to meter

derra wrote: »
    Done a 5 turn coil with .15 Nichrome which came out at 2.2 Ohms, 4.2 on the twist and i still get that little harshness of a TH.

No matter what way i do it i get that so will just accept that's what it is for now with the RDA.

I'll send you the a2 on Tuesday set up and ready to use.
    Not risking it being lost in some sorting office over the long weekend :D

Maybe it's that you just need to try another repairable, something to compare with. I don't know tbh.

i know what you mean about the harshness, i was getting that too wheni was hitting the 2ish ohm coils around 3.7v and i was loving it :) great little bite at the back of the throat on the inhale, especially with the PG liqua tobaccos

it's the warmth more than anything I think that's puzzling me about this.. 2.5ohm coild at 5.7V should be uncomfortably warm and the flavour should be sickeningly overpowering or even burnt... it must be the 4 strands of wick keeping it too cool

I'd say it will never be 'hot' though because of the chamber volume? Massive volume of air in there compared to a carto for instance. That volume probably acts like a 'buffer'.

• Advertisement

aye, possibly.. the coil is still pretty damn close to your lips though, so the vapour doesnt have an awful lot of room to cool down

i know what you mean about the harshness, i was getting that too wheni was hitting the 2ish ohm coils around 3.7v and i was loving it :)great little bite at the back of the throat on the inhale, especially with the PG liqua tobaccos

it's the warmth more than anything I think that's puzzling me about this.. 2.5ohm coild at 5.7V should be uncomfortably warm and the flavour should be sickeningly overpowering or even burnt... it must be the 4 strands of wick keeping it too cool

I'd prefer to have that bite a little softer, smoother transition betwen the inhale and exhale. Thinking about making the air hole a little bigger for a more airy draw.

Could be the 4 strands, but no matter what i have done, 2,3 or 4 i always get a warm vape around 8 watts.

let me know how you do with the airhole.. the draw on one of my rdas is kinda uncomfortably tight sometimes. feel like i'm having to work at the vape.. maybe I'll pm clockworks for a replacement ally tube and fiddle with the airhole on that one so I dont break anything

you're gona be fiddling with mesh wicks, whole other world of pain :)

Yes but they are fun making them, one of the lads in UKvapers forum sent me some instructions by pm down to the exact size etc on how to do the U mesh wick for the rta so I'm looking forward to trying it out. He uses the particular setup he gave me and reckons it works better than the hellfire mini so hopefully I'll get it right.

let me know how you do with the airhole.. the draw on one of my rdas is kinda uncomfortably tight sometimes. feel like i'm having to work at the vape.. maybe I'll pm clockworks for a replacement ally tube and fiddle with the airhole on that one so I dont break anything

Switch the case first and see if still the same making sure air hole is in same position from the one that is working ok.

yeah ill give it a shot tomorrow

anyone else notice their airhole moving slightly?

if I plop it on at whatever spot when I first make the coil, half an hour later it has moved slightly to the right so I'm having to guess how far its going to move and then when i'm fitting it the first time put it on in the wrong place.. hoping it'll adjust itsdelf to the right place when it moves itself

yeah ill give it a shot tomorrow

anyone else notice their airhole moving slightly?

if I plop it on at whatever spot when I first make the coil, half an hour later it has moved slightly to the right so I'm having to guess how far its going to move and then when i'm fitting it the first time put it on in the wrong place.. hoping it'll adjust itsdelf to the right place when it moves itself

Don't think that should be happening at all :confused: and if it is then the performance changes as you use it.
    Hole should be in same position all the time.

Put a mark on the base directly underneath the airhole to make sure that it is.

The hole doesn't move on mine either.

On another note, I overfilled mine this morning so I put in another piece of wick to soak up the extra juice. It was a bit of a disaster though cos I got burnt taste pretty quickly. Looks like the wicks may have been competing for juice or something and the loose wick soaked up the juice while the other kinda dried out - even though they were both touching.

Quick wash and threw out the second wick and its back to normal again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I haven't had the air hole move, in fact I've tried moving it to experiment with positioning and found it very hard to do.

I have noticed juice coming out the hole sometimes, like was mentioned in the Bulli thread though.

Also, has anyone figured out an easy way to transport them when not in use? I wrapped it in a ton of tissue, even though I thought it was pretty much empty, but it still soaked right through (luckily not in my pocket).

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    I haven't had the air hole move, in fact I've tried moving it to experiment with positioning and found it very hard to do.

I have noticed juice coming out the hole sometimes, like was mentioned in the Bulli thread though.

Also, has anyone figured out an easy way to transport them when not in use? I wrapped it in a ton of tissue, even though I thought it was pretty much empty, but it still soaked right through (luckily not in my pocket).

If juice comes out the air hole it probably means you've flooded it. A few stiff blows through the drip tip should sort it out.

Mine doesn't leave the house but I'd say you won't go wrong with a ziplock bag...those small ones you get from vendors...and maybe some cotton wool stuffed down the top.

Advertisement