Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC for 2014?

• 27-08-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there had been no discussion here regarding Galway United's future

There was a public meeting on Monday about this? I am away at the moment and am interested to hear what happened. My understanding is a 'new' club will emerge next year which will have an input from Salthill Devon and Mervue United.
    I miss my Friday evenings in Terryland and Galway deserves to be represented in the League.

Wil we have Galway United FC or Galway Divided FC?

Any more info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I'm surprised there had been no discussion here regarding Galway United's future

There was a public meeting on Monday about this? I am away at the moment and am interested to hear what happened. My understanding is a 'new' club will emerge next year which will have an input from Salthill Devon and Mervue United.
    I miss my Friday evenings in Terryland and Galway deserves to be represented in the League.

Wil we have Galway United FC or Galway Divided FC?

Any more info?

ya it used to be good craic alright. Fair play to the gust people for their tireless efforts in trying to keep the show alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Fact...had many an enjoyable/frustrating evening up in Terryland...nothing better than to have a few pints in town after a cold Friday evening in a nearly empty stadium. Miss it bigtime actually now that you mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Didn't Salthill play in Terryland on Fridays this year?

DRakE wrote: »
    Didn't Salthill play in Terryland on Fridays this year?

nope. They play in drom.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

I miss going to Terryland as well and hope that the GUST guys are given a chance to achieve their aims. I sometimes go to a few LOI matches still, in Dublin mostly when I get a chance; was up at the Pats/Bohs game last friday for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

wonder88 wrote: »
    I miss going to Terryland as well and hope that the GUST guys are given a chance to achieve their aims. I sometimes go to a few LOI matches still, in Dublin mostly when I get a chance; was up at the Pats/Bohs game last friday for example.

Galway WFC is playing there if ya wanna look at the best under utilised playing surface in Ireland. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

I'd happily get involved if it got up and running, especially if there was a half decent ultras scene.

Crying shame such a fine, and relatively big city does not have a proper soccer team.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Galway WFC is playing there if ya wanna look at the best under utilised playing surface in Ireland. ;)
    I might go sometime to watch the ladies play, but really I would prefer to have top-level LoI soccer available in Galway so that I could watch that. I was also a fan of Galway Utd for many years and while some my not understand it, it is not easy to switch from supporting one team/club to another. That is the reason that "franchise clubs" do not usually work. I have gone to both Mervue and Salthill games, but it is just not the same; I can never really be a supporter of these clubs. Also the standard is not great and there is never any atmosphere as these clubs have no supporters/fans.
    Wishing the Galway womens team all the best, but to have a look at a good playing surface is not something that would drag me back to Terryland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

They'll probably get the Anglo boys to run it

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭_Puma_

According to Galway Advertiser

"Galway FC to be officially launched in next few weeks. Cooperative-type ownership model to be explored with a vote on this after first season."

"The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( epresenting GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer."

Anyone have more info on this, seems a bit out of the blue?

• Advertisement

_Puma_ wrote: »
    According to Galway Advertiser

"Galway FC to be officially launched in next few weeks. Cooperative-type ownership model to be explored with a vote on this after first season."

"The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( epresenting GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer."

not going to happen in that form anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Not only is it not "out of the blue" (it was in the sentinel 2/3 weeks ago that Salthill & Mervue were being told to get together), but it's been well known around town for months that there were discussions around this. The only thing "new" is the fact that the name is going to be Galway FC.
    not going to happen in that form anyways

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/63631/footballs-comin-home-compromise-reached-as-galway-fc-applies-to-league
    Galway FC should be ready for Eamonn Deacy Park action in 2014 as the newly formed club will make a licence application to play in the Airtricity League next season.

Compromise has been reached with all the stakeholders in the west as Galway United Supporters Trust, Mervue United, Galway FA, and Salthill Devon are all represented on the Board of Directors of Galway FC.

Following several months of meetings and debate Galway FC has been established with a statement released last night confirming the news. “The dream of one city, one county, and one club is set to be realised with the coming together of a Galway football partnership representative of all local soccer interests.”

The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( representing GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer.

A launch of Galway FC is expected to take place in the coming weeks, while several sub committees will be formed by those interested. “The new club has emanated from the Ned O' Connor Report 2012 and all of the stakeholders in the Galway game take two seats on the new Board which also includes an independent chairperson,” the statement continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,596 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Probably because no one except you and the editor of the Galway Advertiser give a rat's a*** about the topic!

If I was an advertiser I'd be threatning to pull my spend if the Advertiser didn't give the soccer stuff a rest.

The board of gust were given a mandate to require that the club be a co-op and the preferred name be Galway united. Neither of these issues have been addressed and it will require a further meeting by gust to approve the new offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Probably because no one except you and the editor of the Galway Advertiser give a rat's a*** about the topic!

If I was an advertiser I'd be threatning to pull my spend if the Advertiser didn't give the soccer stuff a rest.

I think quite a lot of people care about whether the city has a senior football team (neither of the current clubs seem able to create interest beyond their own little patches) and if anything the media have dropped the ball in the coverage of the matter. What happened with Galway United was wrong in so many ways, letting Leeson get control (and him getting off lightly for running it into the ground) and the FAI acting contrary to the precedents in Cork and Derry by blocking rather than encouraging a new club into the league. They even blocked participation in the U19 league and it seems GUST were not invited to Connacht Senior League related meetings either.

And now it seems like the new club will still not have an underage set up and will have to shell out to Mervue and Salthill if they sign players from them even on amateur terms- something no other LOI club has to face. There have been far too many questions left unasked by local media. A strong Galway LOI side would be good for the city and efforts to provide that deserves coverage and scrutiny.

Of course you don't have to read it and not everyone will be interested, but the same could be said for any story.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion Mrs OBumble . I for one give a rat's a*** about it. As do my kids and my extended family. We've gone to GAA matches and Connacht rugby matches too but we are, deep down, a soccer family. Terryland Park (since renamed Deacy Park) is as fine as stadium as any, has a long history, and is embedded in our community.

There have been seasons when Galway United often drew crowds of 3,000+ and even twice that on a rare occasion, so it is an important platform. The current Rep Of Ireland first choice goalkeeper is from Galway and started his career with Galway United.

Galway United's last ever home game (V Monaghan United), even after not winning a game for FOUR months, attracted a crowd of 1,800 in November 2011. The potential is massive.

Hats of to the Galway United Supporters Trust who have kept the flag flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,596 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion Mrs OBumble . I for one give a rat's a*** about it.

You created the thread on 28-August. Now, two weeks later it's had a total of 16 replies, and 872 views. Compare that to the Eddie Rockets thread, open a mere 5 days ago and it's got 7077 views.

I would say that this is a good indication that the level of interest in this English sport (ref) is low.

I for one a totally sick of hearing lads roaring "Support Galway United" on Shop Street every Saturday, and seeing local newspapers present this as a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

You created the thread on 28-August. Now, two weeks later it's had a total of 16 replies, and 872 views. Compare that to the Eddie Rockets thread, open a mere 5 days ago and it's got 7077 views.

I would say that this is a good indication that the level of interest in this English sport (ref) is low.

I for one a totally sick of hearing lads roaring "Support Galway United" on Shop Street every Saturday, and seeing local newspapers present this as a major issue.
    And I'm sick of seeing religious nutcases wave placards of aborted babies in my face every Saturday. No need to get so worked up. Rip out the front of the Advertiser if you want. Don't put down a topic just because you have no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

9% of Irish adults play football (including 5 a side) according to this: http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Res...Figures_2008_/ (2008 figure)

And that's before you count the people who are just fans. The idea that people in this country are not interested in football, regardless of any petty concerns about the game's origin, is clearly nonsense.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not only is it not "out of the blue" (it was in the sentinel 2/3 weeks ago that Salthill & Mervue were being told to get together), but it's been well known around town for months that there were discussions around this. The only thing "new" is the fact that the name is going to be Galway FC.

Yes I am well aware what was in the paper about the meeting, no agreement was reached mainly because of the points Mr_A and gordongekko pointed out that were raised by GUST and the GFA so ya it was a bit out of the blue to suddenly get a press release without any warning or update on the agreement.

Have GUST now decided to go against what was voted on by their members? The points that GUST were making about having an Underage setup for the Galway LOI team are very important to the long term development of a team in Galway. If it is done right ala Cork City and Derry City there is hope, if it is done ala SD Galway and to use SD and Mervue as feeder clubs I'd give it a year before they go under.

Mrs OBumble not sure if you are trying to be serious or just trying to stir up a bit of controversy, but if that was a troll I'd have to wonder why you seem so set against Galway United? The fact is there is a huge participation in the sport at underage and Amateur level in this County is why a team is needed is that can represent them at national level. There is huge potential there for the development of a National side, if done right. Something GUFC and SD Galway got badly wrong.

Actually after reading your English sport Comment it is a bit more clear now why you posted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

As someone who has recently had to move away from Galway to find work, it's nice to be able to browse the Galway forum and see what's going on.

Some threads are brilliant, some awful, some funny, but nobody should be discouraged from posting, just because someone else is sick of the topic. :(

Have GUST now decided to go against what was voted on by their members? The points that GUST were making about having an Underage setup for the Galway LOI team are very important to the long term development of a team in Galway. If it is done right ala Cork City and Derry City there is hope, if it is done ala SD Galway and to use SD and Mervue as feeder clubs I'd give it a year before they go under.

Great no soccer at all in Galway next year.:D

In fairness they're probably the same half dozen or so that used to go to the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Jeepers. I drive a German car which I bought in an Irish garage and drink French wine bought from a Galway wine shop and I chose to follow a local sport in a local stadium played a lot of local players. The game is a foreign game. Just like rugby, hockey, karate, horse racing, basketball etc etc. Please don't beat me with that stick. I'm unsure if you are you anti-English or anti-soccer?

There is a similar debate going on about Galway United in the forums at www.foot.ie but the Eddie Rockets thread wouldn't create an interest there.

It's not a major issue in your life; I hear you loud and clear. It's not in my top ten list of priorities either but it's still important to me and to others.

The Galway United Supporters Trust weekly platform on William Street might be annoying to you but thankfully they don't use amplifiers like others. I can't defend them if it makes you sick but keep in mind that they are community volunteers.

Back on topic, one of the newspapers today suggested that the contenders for the GFC manager job are Don O'Riordan and Johnny Glynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

I think they would need a neutral manager, get someone in from outside the county altogether. Glynn as manager would keep a divide between Mervue players and everyone else surely? O Riordan would hardly come back to Galway, he's doing ok coaching somewhere in Asia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

i wish the mod of commuting and transport would wake up the WRC thread as the same ppl spitting out the same posts page after page not allowing a fair discussion and only doing their best to promote their point of view and allow nobody to contribute a fair discussion.

I can see you point, but in fairness with the popularity of english football how will irish soccer survive in general would be a bigger question. tbh if mervue and salthill happy the way they are why change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dilallio wrote: »
    As someone who has recently had to move away from Galway to find work, it's nice to be able to browse the Galway forum and see what's going on.

Some threads are brilliant, some awful, some funny, but nobody should be discouraged from posting, just because someone else is sick of the topic. :(

How could anyone be sick of the topic?

There is next to no coverage of soccer in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mrs OBumble, please refrain from posting in this thread further.
    And for all, let's keep this thread for the fans ok?

The situation as it stands appears to be a FAI sanctioned SDGalway+Mervue with no Salthill or Mervue team in LOI next season(They were hemeroging money and will be entering Connaught senior league next season). There has been no mandate from the Clubs in Galway or GUST. Someone jumped the gun with the GA press release as there was supposed to be a meeting next week regarding the current deal.

Currently there will be no Galway FC U19 squad to allow Salthill and Mervue to remain in the U19 league. The company will not be a Co-OP like Derry and Cork city so the fans have no say in the day to day running of the club. The piece about a sub committee in the Press release seems wishy washy. Salthill and Mervue will each receive €500(!) for each player they have playing for Galway FC, a situation unique to Galway FC and is in all likelihood against UEFA regulations. Salthill will receive a payment for the use of Drum training facilities even though facilities have been made available to GUST already.

The cynic in me thinks this is a money making exercise for Salthill & Mervue while trying to get the football public in Galway behind a new team. I really do want to get behind Galway FC but the current situation seems to alienate the majority of fans and clubs in Galway. If they dont get the support from footballing public in Galway from the get go they are doomed to fail. Going by the GUST forums it does not look like this is going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,922 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness they're probably the same half dozen or so that used to go to the matches.

You were obviously too cool to go Anto so you should probably keep the uninformed BS for other threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement