Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** CAO - a few important points! ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Every course must be put down in order of preference. If you can't figure out which course you prefer between 2, go to the prospectus and see if there are any minor differences between them, or see if you can decide which college you'd prefer to go to.

Ok, so putting them down in order of entry requirements has no benefit?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lago wrote: »
    Ok, so putting them down in order of entry requirements has no benefit?
    No.

As I said above:

The system presumes you knew your own mind when you ranked your choices.

Which is why it is absolutely essential that you rank your CAO choices in the order in which YOU would like to be offered them ... NOT according to what way you think the points might go, not in order of supposed status, not for any other reason except "I really want to do X, that goes down first; if I don't get X, then Y is my next preference ..." and so on.

If you want X course more than Y, put X down first on your ranking order ... it's that simple, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Just wondering if anyone could explain how CAO offers work in regards to 1st round offers and 2nd round offers?
    Say If I get enough points to get my top choice on the CAO, and they send me out a letter saying that I can take that course... will I ever get sent out a 2nd round of offers that can allow me to choose my 2nd choice? Or will that be gone as soon as I get offered my top choice?

Bit confusingly worded, sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Just wondering if anyone could explain how CAO offers work in regards to 1st round offers and 2nd round offers?
    Say If I get enough points to get my top choice on the CAO, and they send me out a letter saying that I can take that course... will I ever get sent out a 2nd round of offers that can allow me to choose my 2nd choice? Or will that be gone as soon as I get offered my top choice?

Moved to the CAO thread :)

You will be offered the highest course that you qualify for. From that point on, anything BELOW that course on your form are now completely gone, you will never be offered any of those. Anything ABOVE the course that you have been offered, you can be offered in later rounds if the points drop.

So in your case, if you get your top choice, that's it, you won't get any other offers - which is why its so important to make sure that your top choice is definitely the one you want the most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

just a quick question about getting your papers re-checked in august , what happens in the following situation?

I achieve 480 points yet the course i want is 485 points. obviously the offers go out and the second round and so forth, and they fill up the course for 485. now i get my papers re-checked and it turns out i did achieve 485, how does that work? surely they can't put me in the course as they have already filled the places.

to add on to that, what if i had achieved 490 points, 5 points over the minimum in the re-check?

thanks

• Advertisement

IslandKid wrote: »
    just a quick question about getting your papers re-checked in august , what happens in the following situation?

I achieve 480 points yet the course i want is 485 points. obviously the offers go out and the second round and so forth, and they fill up the course for 485. now i get my papers re-checked and it turns out i did achieve 485, how does that work? surely they can't put me in the course as they have already filled the places.

to add on to that, what if i had achieved 490 points, 5 points over the minimum in the re-check?

thanks

For some courses they will leave spaces free for people to come in after rechecks so you can join the class in late October when the results of the rechecks come out. However some courses will already have done some continuous assessments or assignments for that date, so you may not be able to join the class. I think in this case you would be offered the place for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I have one level 7 course on my CAO that I have no intention of doing. Because it's the only one on that list, they won't let me delete it. Does anyone know how I can take it off the list?

I never wanted to do a level 7 course but because there's only 2 level 8 courses on my CAO I was advised to just put this one on anyway and then take it off later. But now the CAO website's won't let me save the empty list.

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I have one level 7 course on my CAO that I have no intention of doing. Because it's the only one on that list, they won't let me delete it. Does anyone know how I can take it off the list?

I never wanted to do a level 7 course but because there's only 2 level 8 courses on my CAO I was advised to just put this one on anyway and then take it off later. But now the CAO website's won't let me save the empty list.

Are you sure it won't let you edit the form, delete it and then save it?

Even if you can't take it off, it doesn't matter, you will be offered both a Level 8 and a Level 7 course (if you qualify for them) so in that case you just accept the Level 8 and ignore the Level 7 offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Miley Inexpensive Valentine

Possibly in the wrong place, but sure! :P

When's the last date that you can accept a course?
    The offers are out on the 20th I think and it looks possible that I'll be in Spain until the 25th..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You have a week to accept the offer. After that it gets put back into the system and redistributed to someone else as a second round offer. You can always find an internet cafe to log in and accept it or get someone at home to do it or you can just wait!

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    The offers are out on the 20th I think and it looks possible that I'll be in Spain until the 25th..
    You can accept online.

Spain *does* have internet! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Miley Inexpensive Valentine

You can accept online.

Spain *does* have internet! :pac:

I know, but I don't plan on being of sound enough body or mind to go accepting college courses.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

whats the story on the rise in applications for CAO? i know last year there was 45 766 cao applications processed (BBC), but is there an official figure out for the number of applications this year? i know uk applications have increased but other than that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18175060

IslandKid wrote: »
    whats the story on the rise in applications for CAO? i know last year there was 45 766 cao applications processed (BBC), but is there an official figure out for the number of applications this year? i know uk applications have increased but other than that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18175060

Here are the stats for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

''CAO - a few important points''

Was that pun intended?:rolleyes:

It neny! wrote: »
    ''CAO - a few important points''

Was that pun intended?:rolleyes:
    >_>

<_<

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Hi I was just wondering, with the honours bonus maths points - does it have to be in your top six to actually get the extra 25? Like in the following instance:

I get all 6 D2's in honours, but I get a D3 in honours maths? Are the 5 D2's and Maths D3 counted since they are higher points or is it the six D2's since they are your higher grades? i.e in this case I would lose 20 points?

Sorry if it is a silly question, but I see this happening for me since maths didn't go too well!

Zhavey wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering, with the honours bonus maths points - does it have to be in your top six to actually get the extra 25? Like in the following instance:

I get all 6 D2's in honours, but I get a D3 in honours maths? Are the 5 D2's and Maths D3 counted since they are higher points or is it the six D2's since they are your higher grades? i.e in this case I would lose 20 points?

Sorry if it is a silly question, but I see this happening for me since maths didn't go too well!

No, it doesn't originally have to be in your top 6 to get the bonus. Once the bonus is added on, if the points you have then are high enough to be in the top 6 then they will be :) So in your example, the 5 D2's and the D3 are counted as the D3 will be 45+25 = 70, and the D2's are 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Is it possible that a certain course on the CAO can go down in points at all?

Is it possible that a certain course on the CAO can go down in points at all?

Yes, it is possible. Read the first post in this thread again, at the start I've edited in a bit about how the points system works ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

Am do you know if you put a course down for 380 points which is your first choice and then you put down a course for 400 points for second choice. Does this mean you cant get your second course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

robbiep94 wrote: »
    Am do you know if you put a course down for 380 points which is your first choice and then you put down a course for 400 points for second choice. Does this mean you cant get your second course?

Once you are offered your first choice you cannot go down.
    Remember: on the CAO you can go UP, but not DOWN. So list your courses in order of preference not points. You never know.

robbiep94 wrote: »

Well firstly, always put your courses down in order of your preference, ignore the points.

Both of your courses could have different cut off points in September. Last years points are only a guide. If the points stayed the same, and you got 450, for example, then you would be offered your first choice as you have achieved the points for it.

The CAO will offer you the highest one on your form that you qualify for, NOT the one with the highest points just because you got them. It assumes that the number 1 on your list is the one you want the most...so make sure it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The whole CAO application process works on a basic principle ... that YOU know what you want!

:(
    Or ... as one of your own peers puts it ...
    Originally Posted by dan_d viewpost.gif

Golden Rule for the CAO, which most people don't seem to cop...

Put the course you want the most in the top position, regardless of whether or not you think you'll get the points.

You cannot go up on the CAO form. Only down. You won't get it if you don't at least ask!!!!

Maybe I'm just tired/confused/half-blind after all these exams, but should the words "up" and "down" not be the other way around there?! :confused: :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just tired/confused/half-blind after all these exams, but should the words "up" and "down" not be the other way around there?! :confused: :P

Yes, as in if you are offered your 4th choice, everything from 5th-10th is now completely gone, you will never be offered it, whereas you may still be offered 1, 2 or 3.

I'll edit the post, its a bit confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

My son who was in 1st year deferred his place in college in February this year having completed just over half the year. He is not sure now if he wants to go back to this course.

What are his options, can he avail of the change of mind option and apply for a new course before 1st July, or will he have to wait and appply through the CAO process next year.

The course he started on was a level 8 course if he can change does the new course have to be at this level or can it be at a lower leve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

say if I put down my first three course in order of preference. And I dont get the points for the first two but I do for the 3rd. Does this mean i will get offered for my 3rd ahead of the people who put this course down as no.1? Considering that I have more points than them.

thedice wrote: »
    say if I put down my first three course in order of preference. And I dont get the points for the first two but I do for the 3rd. Does this mean i will get offered for my 3rd ahead of the people who put this course down as no.1? Considering that I have more points than them.

On your form, the highest one you qualify for becomes your new number 1, so you have the same chance as someone who had this as 1 originally. The places are then given out to those with the highest points, so yes, you would get offered it first if you had more points.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but anyway....
    i have just finished my first year in college and i have passed all of my exams. However, the course is'nt for me and i am planning to go back into first year (in the same college) and start a new course.

I have already applied to the CAO and i have filled out the form etc.

what is the procedure to inform the college? I am still registered as a student in my current course so do i ring the college and tell them i am dropping out of my current course and that i am starting again? Or will the CAO automatically inform them when i accept my new course?

Any help would be much appreciated smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

Hi im a repeat student and i was born in america so i have an exemption from Irish.. last year I sent away an exemption form to the NUI Collages proving I was exempt. Just wondering if i would need to do that again this year?

Advertisement