Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin South Bye-Election - POLL (READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!)

• 06-05-2009 10:24pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, Here's an Interesting idea.

See the Above poll? This is indended for People to Vote who would be getting their number 1 vote in the up and coming Bye -Election.

I do not, under any circumstances want a single person Bitching, Moaning or Trying to circumvent the poll. (re-regs)

The Poll will be Secret. (ie. your name will not be shown)

so basicly posts like

"i'm voting for john wayne cause i believe he's a good milkman"
    are allowed

Posts like
    "Vote John Wayne, he's the best milkman"

ARE NOT ALLOWED

Usual Rules apply. Added bonus for the person who picks the top 3 in correct order come june 5th!

Get posting!

Who is getting your Vote in the June 5th Bye Election 67 votes

Shay Brennan Fianna Fáil
    0% 0 votes
    Alex White The Labour Party
    5% 4 votes
    George Lee Fine Gael
    16% 11 votes
    Elizabeth Davidson The Green Party
    41% 28 votes
    Shaun Tracey Sinn Féin
    1% 1 vote
    Malachy Steenson The Workers Party
    2% 2 votes
    Ross O'Mullane Independent
    0% 0 votes
    Other Candidate
    29% 20 votes
    Intend to spoil vote/ wont turn up
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"i'm voting for john wayne cause i believe he's a good milkman"

Where's the option to vote for him them, already my preferred candidate:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Also what about Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, since it is a whole other constituancy in "South Dublin":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Also what about Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, since it is a whole other constituancy in "South Dublin":confused:

There's no by-election in DLR, only in Dublin South because of the death of Seamus Brennan.

The local elections however are happening left right and centre but there's millions of them, so a poll for each are would be a bit much. One overall election thread for the local elections would probably suffice. Feel free to start the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

I'll go for Alex White, he's been visible in the constituency, working away. The days are over in my opinion where someone can hope to get elected just because their daddy was.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pokerpaddy

Unless we change our political system, we are not going to fix the problems we face. IMHO etc.

At the moment our government doesn't even know what the problem is.

George Lee - great and all, but as long as he's part of a political party he will be like a wasp in a jar.

So I, er, believe Ross O'Mullane to be the best milkman. (Got 2% of the vote in Dublin South already and i've only been using online media - thanks to all the supporters!)

Post on my blog about this. (hope link doesn't offend any rules?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

I have to say, the parties are really spouting the same old rhetoric. Time for something different.
    I'm voting for the Independent Ross O'Mullane as he seems to be the only one embracing technology to reach out to the constituents to make a difference.

The rest I feel are stuck in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Ross O'Mullane

He just seems to actually want to represent people rather than business interests.

He has a really innovative way to allow people to have their voice heard and as he has not alligned himself with any political party maybe he can actually help the people instead of getting bogged down in political parties in their interplay.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Excuse my ignorance, but who's Ross O'Mullane, haven't seen/heard anything about him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Gingy wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but who's Ross O'Mullane, haven't seen/heard anything about him.

Ross O'Mullane - independent candidate who is using the power of online media to Promote himself, (and this poll...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

pokerpaddy wrote: »
    Unless we change our political system, we are not going to fix the problems we face. IMHO etc.

At the moment our government doesn't even know what the problem is.

George Lee - great and all, but as long as he's part of a political party he will be like a wasp in a jar.

So I, er, believe Ross O'Mullane to be the best milkman. (Got 2% of the vote in Dublin South already and i've only been using online media - thanks to all the supporters!)

Post on my blog about this. (hope link doesn't offend any rules?)

Your blog? Is that you Ross?

How are you going to act/vote in the Dail when you get directly conflicting views from citizens on your site? How are you going to prevent abuses through people taking on multiple identities when posting to your forum?

Does it make sense to ignore the 30% of the population that don't have Internet access?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Your blog? Is that you Ross?

How are you going to act/vote in the Dail when you get directly conflicting views from citizens on your site? How are you going to prevent abuses through people taking on multiple identities when posting to your forum?

Does it make sense to ignore the 30% of the population that don't have Internet access?

Yep - this is I, Ross O'Mullane.

It is proposed that voting would involve a registered voter of dublin south registering by texting their name and address to a number. This would get checked against the register, if it matches, a password would be posted to the person.*
    How technology could be used overview.

*This is not a perfect solution and is somewhat vulnerable, I am open to suggestions on how it could be made easier and more efficient.

Many special interest groups focus on certain sections of society, so I'll be going for internet users - better than current political parties who ignore 99% of the electorate. meow.

It is proposed that voting would involve a registered voter of dublin south registering by texting their name and address to a number. This would get checked against the register, if it matches, a password would be posted to the person.*
    How technology could be used overview.

*This is not a perfect solution and is somewhat vulnerable, I am open to suggestions on how it could be made easier and more efficient.
    Thanks for the clarification. Anyone could easily drive a coach and horses through this registration process, and register all their neighbours and friends, so they could take control over their 'votes' in your process.

But I still don't get how you are going to make it work. If you get diametrically opposed views from many of your constitutients on controversial topics, how are you going to work this? Let's take a proposal to proceed to legislate for the X case Supreme Court judgement on abortion - are you simply going to vote based on the majority of inputs to your web poll?

Thanks for the clarification. Anyone could easily drive a coach and horses through this registration process, and register all their neighbours and friends, so they could take control over their 'votes' in your process.

But I still don't get how you are going to make it work. If you get diametrically opposed views from many of your constitutients on controversial topics, how are you going to work this? Let's take a proposal to proceed to legislate for the X case Supreme Court judgement on abortion - are you simply going to vote based on the majority of inputs to your web poll?

We can get bogged down in the details of an implementation - overall i'm saying why not use technology? why not have an government monitored online forum where more people can more easily get involved in politics?

your example on the x case - i would say that majority makes decisions - is that not what democracy is?
    i think people are capable of making ethical and good decisions. i sense that you feel they are not?

We can get bogged down in the details of an implementation - overall i'm saying why not use technology?

This isn't a matter of 'getting bogged down'. This is a matter of thinking beyond the technology to look at how the people use the technology.

This kind of 'why not use technology' is exactly the kind of thinking that cost us €61 million in relation to eVoting. I'd prefer us to have a clear and robust rational for using technology, rather than just 'why not'.
    why not have an government monitored online forum where more people can more easily get involved in politics?
    So would such a forum be dramatically different to politics.ie? How would you plan to make a decision about how to vote on any particular issue based on the average p.ie thread?
    your example on the x case - i would say that majority makes decisions - is that not what democracy is?
    So just to be clear, you are planning to vote in direct opposition to your own personal views on controversial and important issues such as abortion, immigration, euthanasia etc, based on the posters on your forum - right? Where do 'add value' to the process?
    i think people are capable of making ethical and good decisions. i sense that you feel they are not?
    You sense wrong. I'm not getting a great feeling about your ability to pick up citizens' views from a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

pokerpaddy you have to figure out how to do this properly before you put yourself up for election otherwise you are a charlatan.

MoominPapa wrote: »
    pokerpaddy you have to figure out how to do this properly before you put yourself up for election otherwise you are a charlatan.
    &
    This isn't a matter of 'getting bogged down'. This is a matter of thinking beyond the technology to look at how the people use the technology.

I disagree, I am one person with a full time job running an election campaign in my spare time. I would argue that WE have to figure out how to do this for our benefit.

Exact plans and definite solutions are old-skool. Lets be honest here, nobody knows anything for sure, we're all just winging it through this life.

In the future, technology will most likely play a big part in how we organise ourselves. Would anyone argue this?

I am saying that right now we face massive 21st Century challenges, and our 20th Century solutions will not solve them.

I am raising a question rather than proposing a definite plan.

This kind of 'why not use technology' is exactly the kind of thinking that cost us €61 million in relation to eVoting. I'd prefer us to have a clear and robust rational for using technology, rather than just 'why not'.

I would say that is an example of a political party run by lawyers and teachers using technology.
    So would such a forum be dramatically different to politics.ie? How would you plan to make a decision about how to vote on any particular issue based on the average p.ie thread?

Such a forum would have an output, and would be designed to be more accessible.

diversity is good - everyone wouldn't have to agree on everything - except that they are willing to collaborate to develop a better society. (cue question on what that means)

on politics.ie:
    The conversation rarely creates constructive "next steps".
    Also it's not very accessible to those who do not know a lot about politics, or those who do not wish to read 50 pages of close-minded bickering to make a post.
    So just to be clear, you are planning to vote in direct opposition to your own personal views on controversial and important issues such as abortion, immigration, euthanasia etc, based on the posters on your forum - right? Where do 'add value' to the process?

That would be the plan. Ultimately i want to remove the representatives from our representative-democracy to create a direct democracy using technology. (which i call a techno-democracy :o)
    You sense wrong. I'm not getting a great feeling about your ability to pick up citizens' views from a discussion forum.

Granted - a challenge - but hardly impossible.

Conversations would require various structures - perhaps elected break-away groups make decisions/implement ideas. Open to any thoughts YOU have on how this could be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Exact plans and definite solutions are old-skool. Lets be honest here, nobody knows anything for sure, we're all just winging it through this life.

Haw haw haw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

from http://www.unitedminds.ie/blog/?p=118 :
    The 30 year old from Rathfarnham has achieved this using only email marketing and social networking

Spam merchant, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Think my vote will go to Lewis, why because he is the best looking candiate ive seen. Shallow i know but im so sick of all the posters everywhere Ive decide to place my vote purely on them!!! :D

Also Paul Mc Adam for next year me thinks "we will session during the recession" pure brilliance

• Advertisement

&

Very, very worrying. You're suggesting that you will take a €100k p.a. job for you to 'wing it'?
    Such a forum would have an output, and would be designed to be more accessible.
    How do you get an 'output' from a discussion thread? This is the nub of your problem (not mine, not ours, yours) to which you have not shown any solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Whoever votes for Shay Brennan on Friday should be permanently banned from voting in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

It's interesting to see that no boards readers vote sinn fein.

I'm still for Ross O'Mullane.

Get On Board!

bobk wrote: »
    It's interesting to see that no boards readers vote sinn fein.

I'm still for Ross O'Mullane.

Get On Board!
    That's because they're too busy training with the 'RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rb wrote: »
    That's because they're too busy training with the 'RA.

*mod-hat on*
    Put a smiley face at the end of that to make it a joke, or back up your claim.
    *mod-hat off*

It will be interesting to see how far off this poll is once the votes are counted. I'm guessing waaay off.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    *mod-hat on*
    Put a smiley face at the end of that to make it a joke, or back up your claim.
    *mod-hat off*

It will be interesting to see how far off this poll is once the votes are counted. I'm guessing waaay off.
    LOL

Are you serious?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement