Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Q on Polish driving licence

• 04-05-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    im posting on behalf of a work collegue. He has a full Polish licence, its credit card sized, with his details on it, and "PL" with the 12 euro stars circling it.
    He's just wondering what is the status of his licence in Ireland?
    Is it recognised a European licence? (im just curious as to the validity of this re accesion countries)
    Would he be able to drive with this licence, or is it regarded as a provisional?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

An EU license is a driver's license anywhere in the EU, you don't even have to change it to an Irish one, but I think for renewing it, he will need to get an Irish driver's license.

http://www.polishembassy.ie/advice.htm

This for an EU citizen in Poland, but it works vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If he's living and working here, he needs to exchange it for an Irish one, which will probably require sitting a test. Likewise with his car. Herself's Polish, and she's had an Irish License, and car for 3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ned78 wrote:
    If he's living and working here, he needs to exchange it for an Irish one, which will probably require sitting a test.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. I can't believe how often this comes up on here. You can exchange it for an Irish one if you want, but an EU licence remains valid until it expires.

The wording on the citizensinformation.ie website is a little confused. Look on the Department of Transport website for the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tc20

Thanks lads for the quick replies!

He is living and working here, tho he doesn't have a car as of yet.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Alun wrote:
    Wrong, wrong, wrong

Well, yes, technically I'm wrong, but if he wants to insure a car, it would be beneficial to have an Irish License, the difference it made on her premium was sizeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

tell him check gazeta.ie its all in there for poles :)

Loads of info and cheats all there mate ! but in polish :( so i cant read

ned78 wrote:
    Well, yes, technically I'm wrong, but if he wants to insure a car, it would be beneficial to have an Irish License, the difference it made on her premium was sizeable.
    I drive here on my Dutch licence which doesn't expire for a few years yet. The only question my insurers asked was whether I had an Irish, UK or EU driving licence, and when I asked what difference it made the answer was 'none at all' it's just for their records. Try, for example, an online quote from Allianz. These are the only choices there too, and it makes no difference to the premium at all.

This isn't to say that all insurers are the same, there may be some who differentiate but just stay away from them. Anyway, the drivers licence you hold now says nothing about where you passed your test or where you gained your driving experience, so it's a pretty worthless indicator of risk.

tc20 wrote:
    Thanks lads for the quick replies!

oops, me speak too soon... me see hornets nest :rolleyes: :D

tc20 wrote:
    oops, me speak too soon... me see hornets nest :rolleyes: :D
    It's quite simple, really .. he'll be fine. This was all sorted out ages ago (1998 IIRC!) within the EU, and it's the same whichever country you're moving from or to within the EU.

From http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836#Exchange_Driving_Licence
    Mutual Recognition

The holder of a driving licence issued by the competent authority of another member state of the European Union or of the European Economic Area (i.e. EU + Norway, Liechenstein and Iceland) may drive in Ireland on that licence for the duration of its validity. However, if you wish, you may apply for exchange to an equivalent Irish licence. Application for exchange must be made within ten years of expiry of the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It is fine as long as it in in date.

Suggestion to the mods ... why don't we make this a 'sticky' with links to the relevant website? It crops up with some regularity.

...can i say thanks again now?

Cheers Alun, digitally & DMC, i've passed on the info and links.

Move to lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

One thing worth mentioning imho is that we are talking about full licenses. Any learner licenses are NOT EU driving licenses and therefore can not be exchanged for other EU licenses

Apart from that, done, done and done. Alun is spot on, all EU licenses are equal. I've added this link to the sticky. OP is happy with the answers he got so he can say thanks to the posters here that helped answer his question and I'll close this thread now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement