Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lent and all that..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Lent is Pure nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Nothing, I'm not Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

The usual for myself - cigarettes,alcohol and rollerblading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

fusuf wrote: »
    What are yous giving up for lent this year lads? I need ideas. :pac:

Well last summer I lent a mate my lawnmower, bastard broke it and I had to buy a new one. So I'm giving up loaning people my lawnmower.

I don't know yous so I have no idea whet he's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fusuf wrote: »
    What are yous giving up for lent this year lads?

Getting molested by priests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Lent? Sure didn't I give up junk food since new years..
    well that and I've never entertained the idea of lent, no fiddly priests or chocolate eggs for me no sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im giving up picking my belly button for lint

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

im giving up picking my belly button for lint
    Do you eat it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not into religions, so giving up nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Last year, I gave up trying to please Sarky. Didn't work in my favour at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 casandra

We got it from the Bible !!!!

And the Lord sayeth unto Daniel -- go thee forth into the desert and therein fast for 40 days and 40 nights - and Daniel being a good and faithful servant of the Lord did so. After Daniels great fast, as he came forth from the desert it happened that he came across a wonderous maiden of great beauty, who said unto Daniel - come lie with me - and Daniel being weak from hunger and thirst lay with her. When Daniel came forth from the desert - the Lord was angry with him and said unto Daniel - go thee back into the desert and therein fast for a further 40 days and nights - and Daniel did so. At the end of Daniels second great fast as he came forth from the desert, it happened that he met the same wonderous maiden, who said unto Daniel, knowest dout has lain with me and now I am great with child ---- What steps arth you going to take ? FUXXING GREAT BIG ONES said Daniel departing into the desert for the third time !!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Life's far too short for this kind of nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

Singing along to my mp3 on the luas, just for lent tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I think I'll challenge myself to give up chocolate - ''my achilles heel, if you will."

Biggins wrote: »

Doesn't have to be about religion. I'm not religious, but enjoy the challenge! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Booze :)
    Maybe not for Piddys Day though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I don't need to change! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ill give up catholism for good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm giving up procrastination. I'll start next week though, got too much important things coming up to put off to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm not into religion so I don't do lent.... but coincidentally I'm going back to weight watchers tomorrow. Might be as good a time as any....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hadnt seen this thread, but already posted....

I've decided to atleast try to give up something, and also take up something for the next few weeks.

What with feeling the work trousers getting a bit tighter around the waist this last few weeks (since Christmas) I've decided to give up the beer/alcohol for the next few weeks, and also to try and get myself a wee bit fitter.

I have decided that without the beer in my life, (I'm by no means an alco btw) that in order to simply give it up, I'd have to take something up else to fill that gap in my day/week etc.

So, will probably treat myself to a six pack tonight, with the intention of staying off it until Easter Sunday (might indulge on St Patricks day, but will play it by ear). Tomorrow evening though, once I have my daughter put to bed etc, will head out on an hours walk, and when I get in, have a nice shower, a mug of tea, then hit the sack early with the intention of getting up at 6am for another half hour/hours walk before showering, and breakfast for work.

I hope having this routine, and with the incentive of 'something to get up earlier for in the mornings' should help me get to bed, and not be tempted to open a bottle/tin the odd evening.

I'm not doing this because I think I'm a good christian or whatever, I'm simply doing it to try and imrove my lifestyle, and as a few folk I know are giving up something, this will give me the incentive to at least try it for the next six weeks.

Anyone giving up anything else? Or do you lot think its a load of nonsense?

All encouragement, greatly appreciated!!!!!

Booze :)
    Maybe not for Piddys Day though!

What?

No more 'booze fuelled banter' from Teddy the odd evening :eek:

Fcuk it, I may give up AH for Lent too though until you come back to us lol! :pac:

Biggins wrote: »

Was that you in the corner losing your religion?

Was that you in the corner losing your religion?

No, that was him in the spotlight.

• I've given up the same thing every Lent and never once have I broken my vow.

Genocide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hadnt seen this thread, but already posted....

I've decided to atleast try to give up something, and also take up something for the next few weeks.

What with feeling the work trousers getting a bit tighter around the waist this last few weeks (since Christmas) I've decided to give up the beer/alcohol for the next few weeks, and also to try and get myself a wee bit fitter.

I have decided that without the beer in my life, (I'm by no means an alco btw) that in order to simply give it up, I'd have to take something up else to fill that gap in my day/week etc.

So, will probably treat myself to a six pack tonight, with the intention of staying off it until Easter Sunday (might indulge on St Patricks day, but will play it by ear). Tomorrow evening though, once I have my daughter put to bed etc, will head out on an hours walk, and when I get in, have a nice shower, a mug of tea, then hit the sack early with the intention of getting up at 6am for another half hour/hours walk before showering, and breakfast for work.

I hope having this routine, and with the incentive of 'something to get up earlier for in the mornings' should help me get to bed, and not be tempted to open a bottle/tin the odd evening.

I'm not doing this because I think I'm a good christian or whatever, I'm simply doing it to try and imrove my lifestyle, and as a few folk I know are giving up something, this will give me the incentive to at least try it for the next six weeks.

Anyone giving up anything else? Or do you lot think its a load of nonsense?

All encouragement, greatly appreciated!!!!!

I probably won't make it to be honest:P
    I only drink one day a week, but it sometimes lasts for about 48hours...

I probably won't make it to be honest:P
    I only drink one day a week, but it sometimes lasts for about 48hours...
    :eek::eek:
    LOL.....

So to sum it up, you only drink two days a week, once a week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

chin_grin wrote: »
    Catholocism

Cathotrolololoolololocism or Catholicism?

Really?

Bad Panda wrote: »
    No, that was him in the spotlight.

But that was just a dream,That was just a dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be about religion. I'm not religious, but enjoy the challenge! :)

If you're not relgious, could you not challange yourself to things which aren't based on religious holidays?

Or is it just coincidental that lent falls at exactly the same time you wish to challange yourself during the year? :pac:

Advertisement