Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

Has anyone had any out-of-the-box problems with the "com.android.phone" thing? I did and I can't connect to Vodafone's network at all. Such bother :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Getronicle wrote: »
    Has anyone had any out-of-the-box problems with the "com.android.phone" thing? I did and I can't connect to Vodafone's network at all. Such bother :mad:

Is it this : "The process com.android.phone has stop unexpectedly. Please try again."

If so, I had this issue. My sim card was a few years old which causes this. Got a new one from VF & problem gone.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Is it this : "The process com.android.phone has stop unexpectedly. Please try again."

If so, I had this issue. My sim card was a few years old which causes this. Got a new one from VF & problem gone.

That's the one. Thanks a lot, my sim is quite old so hopefully this sorts it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Had the same problem myself, make sure u bring picture id i had alot of trouble trying to get the sim changed even though i had the sim with me because it's registered in my partners name they wouldn't do it for

My partner was waiting in the car for so i asked her to go in they asked her for picture id she hadn't got any but had bank cards an esb bill and other documents with her name on, nope still wouldn't change it

At this stage i was getting a little pissed off the last time i changed my sim all i had to do was was give it to them say 3 phone numbers that i ring regular and that was it.

I live about 15 miles from the shop and had other things to do in the town so i wouldnt have made it back in time before the shopped closed and i really needed the phone for work

Asked the woman behind the counter to ring customer care because i had no phone to call them got talking to a very nice man and managed to get a new sim finally, lost all my contacts though :mad:

Ps. the phone is great:cool:

0066ad wrote: »

Had the same problem myself, make sure u bring picture id i had alot of trouble trying to get the sim changed even though i had the sim with me because it's registered in my partners name they wouldn't do it for

My partner was waiting in the car for so i asked her to go in they asked her for picture id she hadn't got any but had bank cards an esb bill and other documents with her name on, nope still wouldn't change it

At this stage i was getting a little pissed off the last time i changed my sim all i had to do was was give it to them say 3 phone numbers that i ring regular and that was it.

I live about 15 miles from the shop and had other things to do in the town so i wouldnt have made it back in time before the shopped closed and i really needed the phone for work

Asked the woman behind the counter to ring customer care because i had no phone to call them got talking to a very nice man and managed to get a new sim finally, lost all my contacts though :mad:

Ps. the phone is great:cool:

Thanks for the heads up, certainly sounds like a bit of a hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Spent the last 2 hours trying to buy this phone on Vodafone's site but had untold technical difficulties.
    I remember now why I left them before ,their atrocious website,like something designed by a secondary school student.

Anyone tried out any roms for this?
    I put on the rom in the link from Somebody Else. Thought it looked a bit bare & also I noticed that the camera & a few other things no longer worked. I restored the back up I had made of the original setting. It seems you cannot change the rom if the B888 is loaded.
    Also I have noticed an issue when going from wifi to 3G. Previously if I left the house it would just switch, but now when I turn on the screen there's this message box stating "Wifi disconnected. Continuing internet access will lead to traffic. Continue?" If this isn't ticked I don't have a connection. This popup is very annoying. Didn't have anything like this on my previous smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

It will be available on other networks from July in the UK as Vodafone only had the exclusive on the phone for 3 months. Hope this also applies to Ireland. As a budget smartphone, it would suit Tesco Mobile perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi jgbyr

There are new roms for this phone.

check on modaco.com

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm currently using the AtomicMod rom that's on Modaco. It's basically the B888 rom themed to look and function like ics. Performance is very good and I like the style, although the battery life is a bit suspect but it's still ealy days. Personally I'm hoping for CM9 asap. Especially since there's a few rumours Huawei are going to bootloader lock the phone if/when their own ics update is released.

• Advertisement

Hi

There might be an issue with this room (maybe with other as well).

Green LED become solid around 92% of battery charged.

I noticed that on some of lockscreen when it showed me that battery was charged to 94% and green led on the phone was solid.

Tom

PS. There is new rom there where You can change internal sd card with internal memory - that gives You 2 Gb of data for programs instead of 700 Mb !!

What's the current build version out of the box from the Vodafone? I have B886 on mine. Anyone know how to change the swipe actions from the lock screen. I couldn't figure it out so I disabled potter unlock in titanium backup. I now have the standard android lock screen.

Check MiLocker in play.google.com - You can use it as lockscreen.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I've had the phone for almost a week now and am very happy with it. Have installed Huawei's stock ROM and no problems with it as far as I can see.

I would like to place a widget on one of my home screens to lock the phone, but I can't figure out out how to do it. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about that?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

The_Thing wrote: »
    I've had the phone for almost a week now and am very happy with it. Have installed Huawei's stock ROM and no problems with it as far as I can see.

I would like to place a widget on one of my home screens to lock the phone, but I can't figure out out how to do it. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about that?

Thanks.
    Any instruction to follow on this rom pls? I will be getting this phone tomorrow for my better half...

iwo wrote: »
    Any instruction to follow on this rom pls? I will be getting this phone tomorrow for my better half...

No problem, I followed the instructions here and was up and running in less than 15 minutes. I had no problems at all.

Hi

There might be an issue with this room (maybe with other as well).

Green LED become solid around 92% of battery charged.

I noticed that on some of lockscreen when it showed me that battery was charged to 94% and green led on the phone was solid.

Tom

PS. There is new rom there where You can change internal sd card with internal memory - that gives You 2 Gb of data for programs instead of 700 Mb !!
    Yeah I noticed that LED problem too. I really can't leave well enough alone. I'm currently downloading Paul's ROM which swaps the partitions. I swear I spend more time messing around with ROMS and stuff than actually using the phone. :pac:

My previous phone was the Vodafone Smart and I was the same with that. Just before I got my Ascend I was installing CM9 on the Smart.

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm currently downloading Paul's ROM which swaps the partitions.

Do you have to reinstall all your apps & data every time so? I get confused between flashing a rom & loading using CWM.

Which version did you install & did you get it from the Huawei website or MoDaCo. Thanks.:D

Do you have to reinstall all your apps & data every time so? I get confused between flashing a rom & loading using CWM.
    I always do a backup of my apps with Titanium or ROM ToolBox and do a wipe before installing a new ROM. It's just less hassle in the long run. I tend not to intall too many apps anyway until I've settled into a ROM that I want to use long term and I don't really have any other data I mind losing. All my contacts etc are store via Gmail. I had CM7 on my Smart for ages before installing CM9.

• Advertisement

CM9 on Smart ?

i got smart for a while and it was slow !

I got this rom and I think about it but I think I wait for Atomic rom - I kinda used to drop down menu with wi-fi , bt and other options.

Tom

CM9 on Smart ?

i got smart for a while and it was slow !

I got this rom and I think about it but I think I wait for Atomic rom - I kinda used to drop down menu with wi-fi , bt and other options.

Tom
    Stock ROM was slow. Performance was much better with CM7. CM9 on the Smart is an alpha release and is still quite buggy but it is still better than stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi All,

I just received the phone...
    I took mi 10mins to root it.
    Just to give you some advice...after rooting you can install free application from Google Play called "System Tuner" which will allow you to remove ALL vodafone ad-ware.

You need to give this app full permission* after rooting the phone.

*After rooting you will get icon with following description "SuperSU" on your desktop. Access this app and chose full permission - grant.
    Restart your phone and access "System Tuner" app - which you need to get from Google Play. In this app there are following icons: User and System. You need to access each of them and pick the apps which you want to remove/uninstall. During this process you may get "force close" message as some of the apps are running in background.

Remove only vodafone apps, some of google apps are required to run phone properly (for example google talk)

Any questions just ask... ;) The phone is much faster without these voda apps.

Titanium Backup can freeze or remove apps as well as do a full backup,

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

bought this today from vodafone for 129
    THIS PHONE IS AMAZING VALUE FOR MONEY!!!

p.s i owned iphone 3gs and samsung galaxy nexus,so its not my first smartphone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    bought this today from vodafone for 129
    THIS PHONE IS AMAZING VALUE FOR MONEY!!!

p.s i owned iphone 3gs and samsung galaxy nexus,so its not my first smartphone
    Have it just over a week and have to agree. Its a fair upgrade on my previous phone, the vodafone smart which considering that cost me 50 euro on payg this is definite value for money for 100 odd notes

Which version did you install & did you get it from the Huawei website or MoDaCo. Thanks.:D

Flashed a B888 ROM from a link I found on the the ModaCo site, here.
    Not sure exactly which link I used, but it's not the first link as that is to a B886 ROM.

Flashed a B888 ROM from a link I found on the the ModaCo site, here.
    Not sure exactly which link I used, but it's not the first link as that is to a B886 ROM.

Thanks. How do you find it? Is everything working ok with it? I read on Modaco that once you flash this version you can't return to an earlier rom as it does something to the bootloader.

You are correct as far as I can tell - the B888 ROM is irreversible for some reason.

I have had no problems at all since I flashed it. I only had the phone a day or two before I did so I can't really compare performance before and after, however I have had no app crashes at all or anything like that. I find the phone to be really responsive, though I haven't installed many extra apps, just Viber, WiFi Keyboard, the Dark Horse comics reader - I find the screen is just too small to read comics - and a few live wallpapers. The only thing I care about is my contacts list so I have them offloaded onto my PC for safe keeping and so this frees me to experiment. It's a great piece of kit for €130.

• Advertisement

The B888 ROM makes changes to the partition sizes which is why it's not reversible, at least not until a ROM comes along that changes them back.

I went one step further and flashed Paul O'Brien's Modaco ROM which is based on B888 but swaps the data and internal SD partions which means I have ~1.6GB for apps and stuff. I already had a 16GB SD card for music and videos etc so the internal SD card was going to waste. Although I can't see myself that many apps either!

Advertisement