Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCAD student thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

Hi Chorcai,
    Not talking about u! Anyhow he got through to admissions and they said that they had no places to offer people on the waiting list as all places had been taken at earlier rounds. U just never know huh. He had accepted DIT anyway. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Rosie30 wrote: »
    Hi Chorcai,
    Not talking about u! Anyhow he got through to admissions and they said that they had no places to offer people on the waiting list as all places had been taken at earlier rounds. U just never know huh. He had accepted DIT anyway. Best of luck!

There still might be offers so keep an eye out on CAO. If you want to PM me his details Ill be doing art as well (DIT546), would be nice to know someone before hand :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 teafather?

Hey Im starting the core year in 3 weeks. Got these books recently (history of modern design and a world history of art) but was wandering, are we suppose to read them before the 27th (sep) ? I do hope not. Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

teafather? wrote: »
    Hey Im starting the core year in 3 weeks. Got these books recently (history of modern design and a world history of art) but was wandering, are we suppose to read them before the 27th (sep) ? I do hope not. Please help!
    Dont worry about it..i'm in second year and i still haven't read them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

DigiGal wrote: »
    Dont worry about it..i'm in second year and i still haven't read them :D

I'm so glad that you said this!! :)

• Advertisement

Oh lovely, thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Hey. Heading into Core Year in a while. Was wondering how people are doing on their summer briefs? How are yous doing it? I'm just doing drawings/observations in a newly started notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

freaking out. haven't started. palpitations when i think of the project and starting college :eek:

freaking out. haven't started. palpitations when i think of the project and starting college :eek:

if it's any consolation, I've done 2 notebook pages... gahhhh

Its so nice to hear im not the only one not doing much. To be honest i don’t think this brief is a big deal. All i will do is gather few ideas and photograph them, i think its about the ideas and we will do the actual work in the college. Not sure though, what do you think? Should i be worried?

• Advertisement

teafather? wrote: »
    Its so nice to hear im not the only one not doing much. To be honest i don’t think this brief is a big deal. All i will do is gather few ideas and photograph them, i think its about the ideas and we will do the actual work in the college. Not sure though, what do you think? Should i be worried?

I think the way it's phrased, is that 5 photos need to be submitted as the finished thing. but you're supposed to a good bit of drawing/research of the objects aswell.

With that said. Going into detail on 30 items seems a bit much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

If anyone going into core needs any help/advice or just someone to talk to in college, feel free to PM me I know it can be pretty difficult to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

Is there any gym facilities available to students?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

hey all!! i just started a thread yesterday for all those people that applied to NCAD for the term starting in September 2011. it would be great to hear everyones feedback on their portfolio submission/collecting their portfolio/nerves yet?!/the dreaded wait until mid to late March for the results of the assesment:P follow and post away on the link here please :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056189637

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EMILY.C

Hey guys!
    So who got their summer project for 1st year a NCAD today?
    I'm just wondering how everyone thinks we should go about it?
    Do we do everything on worksheets? Do we do research in notebooks?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

I'm just in the middle of building the portfolio for application in Feb 2012. Anyone else on here doing the same??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MarleneO'Brien

Hi

Im hoping to apply to do a fashion degree in NCAD next year, Im not currently at college so will be doing all the work my self without any help and I have just looked at the portfolio brief for 2012 applications and it actually has just confused me more then EVER...!!!

Does anybody have any ideas where i could find some help??? i have found some courses but they are all 100-200€ a day...!!!!!! Im not working at the moment so i just cant afford these prices:( I spend my days doing as many designs as possible... making costumes... and trying to set up an online website to show off my designs... but after reading the brief it just doesnt seem like the work I am doing fits...???!!!

Can anybody please give me some advise...??? or tell me where i can get some help...???

Thanks!!!

Marlene :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

anyone doing the ncad brief for 2012? confused about the whole mind maps thing ,not that good of thinking outside the box ,Machine/Container/Garden/Organism
    can anyone help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Hi

Im hoping to apply to do a fashion degree in NCAD next year, Im not currently at college so will be doing all the work my self without any help and I have just looked at the portfolio brief for 2012 applications and it actually has just confused me more then EVER...!!!

Does anybody have any ideas where i could find some help??? i have found some courses but they are all 100-200€ a day...!!!!!! Im not working at the moment so i just cant afford these prices:( I spend my days doing as many designs as possible... making costumes... and trying to set up an online website to show off my designs... but after reading the brief it just doesnt seem like the work I am doing fits...???!!!

Can anybody please give me some advise...??? or tell me where i can get some help...???

Thanks!!!

Marlene :)

if you're applying to NCAD and you do not have the equivalent of a first year art degree course done already, you must complete the brief and apply to 1st year general at ncad. That means your portfolio has to show all your skills and follow the brief. after first year they THEN divide people and you work towards getting into fashion in first year. You can only apply directly to 2nd year fashion with the nesessary education behind you. Hope that clears things up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

How much work is it to put a portfolio together? Is it possible to start it now and have it ready in time? Is NCAD particularly difficult to get into?

Vague questions but if anybody can offer any info t'would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

How much work is it to put a portfolio together? Is it possible to start it now and have it ready in time? Is NCAD particularly difficult to get into?

i know someone who done it in three weeks over christmas and got in so it's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It's not about the time as much as its about knowing what they're looking for other than technical skill or what's being asked for in the brief.

If it helps I would advise to leave out fan art, anything that is very secondary school art project and go to some exhibitions read the statements and do sketchbook work at them (or find contemporary artists online through visual artists ireland if you draw study their approach and so on) if you can show some kind of understanding conceptual or aesthetically for current visual arts practice's someone might just give you a chance for the potential that shows.

Its been a long time since I did a portfolio before any briefs were around (but don't do anything really obvious for a brief but show you can follow one) I remember having 10-15 a1 sheets and 10 notebooks I put it together from 4 years of work in a week got into my course with the skin of my teeth but went on to do well, so just goes to show how silly the portfolio can be.

If I had a few months and a brief I think it would be easily do able with focus and commitment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

It's a lot of work and IMO It takes time to build up a portfolio of the level of quality that they are looking for.

Are you trying to study at the same time? Because that will be tough, just to warn you.
    If not - then It's possible. But You would be looking at a few hours a day. Not trying to scare you but you would have to commit wholeheartedly to it. Saa's advice above is good for starters.

make sure to do work on both natural and manmade objects
    and use the brief, but as saa said, don't do the expected thing, whatever u do

I would suggest getting some help if you can.

I started mine in the summer of 5th year.
    PM me if you want and I'll try and give you a hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

I have just one page left of my portfolio :D Getting it in there early because I'm actually living in Dubai (though I'm Irish). Sending it in about 2 weeks. I've put so much work into it, I just really hope I get in!!! Though my worry is that I only have one notebook :/ do you think that's bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 estes_ryan

So nerving to wait for a month after they take week to review your portfolio.

I'm guessing they are going to wait till the very last day of the month to notify anyone!

Has anyone received an acceptance letter yet? Perhaps they started sending them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

They posted them today and posting more tmoro! Was on to admissions. The waiting will end...Good luck everyone ;)!!!!

Rosie30 wrote: »
    They posted them today and posting more tmoro! Was on to admissions. The waiting will end...Good luck everyone ;)!!!!

Hope it comes today. The mail should of arrived by now. Gonna run and check.

What if the letter got lost in the post? Is there an online directory or something to verify an acceptance?

estes_ryan wrote: »
    Hope it comes today. The mail should of arrived by now. Gonna run and check.

What if the letter got lost in the post? Is there an online directory or something to verify an acceptance?

Just got the letter. Its a thick envelope. Prolly about 40 pages in it. I can see colors. Too afraid to open it. Is this a good thing?

• Advertisement

estes_ryan wrote: »
    Just got the letter. Its a thick envelope. Prolly about 40 pages in it. I can see colors. Too afraid to open it. Is this a good thing?

Waiting list... UGH! Looks like the end of the road.

Advertisement