Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does tethering use up more data?

• 04-10-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Interested in the emobile select smart unlimited plan,has 15GB data included.Rang a rep to enquire could I tether on this plan,he said yes but its not recommended as tethering uses lots more data than just browsing on the phone.I'd be an average user,prob use around 5-7GB a month on a pre paid dongle.So would it just eat through this?

On a related point,how exactly do I tether a phone?I'm looking at Galaxy S2.Do I need to install software?Or is it just connect with USB and surf away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Possibly, pc's and laptops have many more services running therefore could be using data in the background without you knowing or consciously browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Has anyone tethered with a Galaxy S2 before?How exactly is it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Possibly, pc's and laptops have many more services running therefore could be using data in the background without you knowing or consciously browsing.
    Yep.
    Desktop OSes are written with the assumption of a permanently-connected, unmetered network connection. That makes authors do things that are poisonous if you have to pay for every byte...

Imagine using your entire data allowance up on some stinking .NET or Java auto-update.

But will it not just stop using your data allowance when you untether it?I'm not very technically minded!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

toby2111 wrote: »
    Has anyone tethered with a Galaxy S2 before?How exactly is it done?

I normally just turn on the portable hotspot on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Correct. Once you're un-tethered, only your phone will use the data allowance.

The problem is mainly that a typical PC is much more data-hungry than mobile phone, so while your PC is tethered to the phone, you will consume much more data.

KrisW wrote: »
    The problem is mainly that a typical PC is much more data-hungry than mobile phone, so while your PC is tethered to the phone, you will consume much more data.
    So do you reckon my laptop would eat up 15gb of data pretty quickly while tethered?I'm not a heavy user,mainly general browsing,check email,watch YouTube,download an album now and again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is 5-7GB a month average use? That'd be the guts of a year for me I'd say! Edit: sorry, on your PC not your mobile - that makes more sense!

The phone might have some usage stats on cellular data used, so you can keep an eye on it and just reset it every month.

Also, you could check to see if there's software for the PC that can tell you your bandwidth usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You'd be doing a lot of surfing while tethering to hit a 15gb download limit per month. Just avoid downloading big files such as iTunes movies. You should be fine for web browsing and some Youtube watching.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You'd be doing a lot of surfing while tethering to hit a 15gb download limit per month. Just avoid downloading big files such as iTunes movies. You should be fine for web browsing and some Youtube watching.

YouTube can be heavier than iTunes, depending on what quality you watch. 15GB isn't much for a desktop pc to consume in a month, but ample for a phone and some light tethering

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the Galaxy S2 has usage stats,like what Eoin mentioned above,so I can keep track of usage when tethering.Don't want to end up with major bill!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Galaxy S2 has usage stats,like what Eoin mentioned above,so I can keep track of usage when tethering.Don't want to end up with major bill!

There are some on the market
    https://market.android.com/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&feature=search_result

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    YouTube can be heavier than iTunes, depending on what quality you watch. 15GB isn't much for a desktop pc to consume in a month, but ample for a phone and some light tethering

Most people would use tethering as a backup to when they're not around wifi or in their own home. so yes as Pog says, it's not a replacement for your primary internet but rather for when you need it. Thats how I use it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

If you're careful with it you should be fine. Probably the biggest things to look out for which could potentially over do your data are torrenting programs and to a lesser extent windows update.

Youtube videos are about 25mb/video btw, it's worth noting for the prepaid dongles in particular how much all the things you use are actually costing you.

Personally I wouldn't update any of my programs when using a prepaid dongle.

If anyone is looking at this thread and want to tether, but their network or phone doesn't let them, then they should check out PDAnet, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pdanet&hl=en

It's pretty good(at the end of the month trial you can just re-install to keep it free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I'm on the "all you can eat" (15gb) with 3 since March, and use my iphones' personal hotspot for the laptop .

Use it day in work, 5 days a week.
    Then as im out the sticks, use it at home in the evenings and weekends,

Use boards, youtube, email (work and personal), stream the footie, "special interest" sites, and have never gone over 5gb a month..

I'm on the "all you can eat" (15gb) with 3 since March, and use my iphones' personal hotspot for the laptop .

Use it day in work, 5 days a week.
    Then as im out the sticks, use it at home in the evenings and weekends,

Use boards, youtube, email (work and personal), stream the footie, "special interest" sites, and have never gone over 5gb a month..
    Just to say with emobile if you go over I think they charge whereas with Three they "may" just throttle your speed but won't charge you.

Just to say with emobile if you go over I think they charge whereas with Three they "may" just throttle your speed but won't charge you.

correct.

"special interest" sites

Nice one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

3 say they don't want you tethering though. I'd say if you went much over the 5GB a month they might look you up on it. It's very easy for them to know what device you're using the internet with, but that PDAnet thingy gets around it :)

Effluo wrote: »
    3 say they don't want you tethering though. I'd say if you went much over the 5GB a month they might look you up on it. It's very easy for them to know what device you're using the internet with, but that PDAnet thingy gets around it :)
    Ive had no hastle so far, whats this PDAnet you speak of? To google with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement