Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology sociey

• 04-08-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there's any biology societies worth joing as an undergrad (studying biomed :D ) ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I remember asking the head of my course the same question, she said not to bother with them. So I didn't, hasn't really stopped me. But one you might want to look into the the Biochemical Society...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Why so ? re biochem soc (whats good about it in your opinion )

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

There is no real advantage for an undergrad in joining the societies. Most PhD students I know aren't members of any society.

As for BioChem, the reason I suggested it was it is one of the larger societies and would be somewhat related to your course. The question you have to ask yourself is why do I want to become a member of a society? If you just want to put it onto your CV, it is not all that impressive thing to have. All it means is that you've paid up to some club...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

There is no real advantage for an undergrad in joining the societies. Most PhD students I know aren't members of any society.

As for BioChem, the reason I suggested it was it is one of the larger societies and would be somewhat related to your course. The question you have to ask yourself is why do I want to become a member of a society? If you just want to put it onto your CV, it is not all that impressive thing to have. All it means is that you've paid up to some club...

Oh right ok cool . Wanted to join so I'd have access to publications that may be of interest that I otherwise wouldn't and may aid my course work as the library is woeful for up to date material (most of the books are from the 70's/80's) :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Oh right ok cool . Wanted to join so I'd have access to publications that may be of interest that I otherwise wouldn't and may aid my course work as the library is woeful for up to date material (most of the books are from the 70's/80's) :O

You should have access to pretty much any journal you want through your college. I don't know how it works for other colleges, but when I was in UCD, you logged into your library account and did a search for articles or authors or journals. Never found a paper I couldn't access. Also, from my personal experience, books aren't really that much use anyway. I would just search for the relevant topic on wikipedia and do my research based on the papers referenced there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement