Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UPC) Cisco EPC2425 and Windows 7 / XBOX

• 24-08-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hi

Strange one with my UPC router (The Cisco EPC2425). I was with UPC before and never had an issue using their scientific atlanta and Netgear (WRG model)

I have an XBOX which is wired to the router and a laptop which is wireless. I never had an issue before but now with the cisco router I can't get my XBOX and Laptop to talk (stream video) which was working perfectly with windows 7 before on the old setup

The problem is, the laptop goes through an access point which leads to a switch, which leads to a switch and out to the internet

Where/why is the router getting all this from?

XBOX has no problems connecting to XBL by the way!!

Interesting point:

If XBOX and Laptop are wireless =) fine!
    If XBOX and Laptop are wired =) fine!

If one is wired and the other wireless, then they don't talk!

Would appreciate if anyone is using an XBOX and streaming media using the new UPC router, sure there are a good few of ye!

mapi.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

anyone?

It's bugging me! Tried a few things and still no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Bad news I'm afraid, for whatever reason the firmware that UPC put on those routers is severely gimped and is blocking a number of things. One of which is multicast between the wired and wireless parts of the network, hence UPnP which is dependent on multicast won't work. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

Hopefully when UPC make the switch to DOCSIS 3 the modems they replace the current bunch with won't be as bad. Normally Cisco do a pretty good job on their gear but the EPC2425 is just a rebadged Scientfic Atlanta modem and isn't that great. Your only option is to run the router in bridge mode and use your own router, if you still have the Netgear you could use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

Eh surely there must be some solution, I tried calling the upc technical support guy and he was ...well, somewhat unhelpful, insisting it was a fault in my setup and so anyway €20 credit later no solution... I've contemplated replacing the insides with explosives and posting it back to UPC however it appears someone in the middle east is already doing this with a number of other epc2425 routers from their disgruntled owners, so I'll have to think of something more original, in the mean time Is there no firmware upgrade or anything else that can be done? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

2xensemble wrote: »
    Eh surely there must be some solution, I tried calling the upc technical support guy and he was ...well, somewhat unhelpful, insisting it was a fault in my setup and so anyway €20 credit later no solution... I've contemplated replacing the insides with explosives and posting it back to UPC however it appears someone in the middle east is already doing this with a number of other epc2425 routers from their disgruntled owners, so I'll have to think of something more original, in the mean time Is there no firmware upgrade or anything else that can be done? :confused:

Users can't control the firmware on the Cisco modems, only UPC can provision them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamman80

just seen this thread as having similiar issues with poxy UPC. so there is definitely no way this can be fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just out of curiosity what IP addresses are they both using when they can't communicate?

• 2xensemble wrote: »
    €20 credit? 1908 is a free number AFAIK?

What happens when you plug both the laptop and xbox into the cisco modem, removing the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Sorry to bump this.
    I have this exact problem. Has there been any developments with a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ready the sticky. There is no solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement