Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

• 17-05-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Just upgraded broadband and got sent new modem/router to replace my epc2203 modem.
    Was expecting an epc3925 but got a Technicolor TC7200.U
    Looks like a new Thompson?
    Anyone got one, how good are they?
    Cannot find any option to use bridging mode so will have to setup as normal modem/router and change my main router to be a switch/ap unless I can recable.

WW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

One of these delivered for me this week while I was away. Am trying to get it setup to my own preferences this evening with not too much luck.

Any pointers on getting it to change from the default IP 192.168.0.1 ?

Has anyone managed to disable DHCP on this box and use their own router? So far I'm finding that my router won't/cannot 'see' the cable modem even though I've cloned a Mac address

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I couldn't change the default gateway address from 192.168.0.1 so I gave up and changed the settings on all my static IP devices to comply. Resistance is futile.

But I would like to use my old WRT54G as a repeater. Anyone know if the TC7200 can be made to support WDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Any pointers on getting it to change from the default IP 192.168.0.1 ?

Has anyone managed to disable DHCP on this box and use their own router? So far I'm finding that my router won't/cannot 'see' the cable modem even though I've cloned a Mac address

I have changed the default address to 192.168.51.253 and changed the dhcp to only give out ip's between 100 and 150 on this subnet.
    Menu Basic->Local Area Network

I am still using my own asus router which manages dhcp and wireless for all my addresses in the 192.168.50.x subnet range.
    I switched off wireless on the new router, configured it to run on a 51 subnet, and my asus gets a wan address from it in the 51 subnet range.
    So all my devices and address range stay the same, all working through the asus on the 50 subnet, while it talks through upstream to the new router/modem on the 51 subnet.

Its not bridging, but it was the quickest way to get back working again, without having to change anything. Also I am not a gamer or use vpn, so don't have to worry about port forwarding or anything like that.

I would like to replace my asus with this new modem/router to see how it runs, but will need to run a coax cable first from the upc point to where my asus is currently positioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its a bit crap, it doesnt even have a dyndns option.
    Maybe I am justa bit spoilt with my old netgear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you move to UPC do you have to use their router?
    I bought one myself last year to use with eircom, will it be useless if I move to upc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Just got the TC7200 now.

Got two SSID Codes. One for 2.4GHZ and one for 5GHZ.

Which one should I use please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

If you move to UPC do you have to use their router?
    I bought one myself last year to use with eircom, will it be useless if I move to upc?

yes a dsl router is fairly useless on cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Just got the TC7200 now.

Got two SSID Codes. One for 2.4GHZ and one for 5GHZ.

Which one should I use please?

Thanks

as a general rule try the 5GHZ first, if it doesn't work then use the 2.4GHZ. 5GHZ is better and provides better wifi but not everything will work on it (e.g. older Phones & laptops for example may not work on 5GHZ but newer laptops Phones & iPads etc will), everything will work on 2.4GHZ if in doubt.

Dave..M wrote: »
    as a general rule try the 5GHZ first, if it doesn't work then use the 2.4GHZ. 5GHZ is better and provides better wifi but not everything will work on it (e.g. older Phones & laptops for example may not work on 5GHZ but newer laptops Phones & iPads etc will), everything will work on 2.4GHZ if in doubt.

Thanks for that info.

My Dell laptop of about 7 years did not pick up the 5GHZ nor did my Sony Ericsson WT19I nor my wifes Iphone 4

Would have thought the Iphone 4 would have got it.

My sppedtest results give me a download of 18 (I think I was on that before) and an upload speed of 5 (which is an increase as I was only getting 1 or 2 before) - this is wireless of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

My sppedtest results give me a download of 18 (I think I was on that before) and an upload speed of 5 (which is an increase as I was only getting 1 or 2 before) - this is wireless of course.

speedtests are meaningless when using wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Guys am I completely stupid or is there no static ip options on the new technicolor TC7200 router???

If you mean 'can you assign or reserve a specific ip address to a mac address' then it does not seem so.
    What you can do is reduce the range of addresses that are controlled by the dhcp server, and assign a static address to the network device that is outside this range.

If you mean 'can you assign or reserve a specific ip address to a mac address' then it does not seem so.
    What you can do is reduce the range of addresses that are controlled by the dhcp server, and assign a static address to the network device that is outside this range.

As in assign it in the devices network settings?

But thats stone age surely :(

Well yes and no - depends on what vintage you are....:p

Assigning a device a static ip address is using a static ip - it does not need to connect to a dhcp server.

Reserving an ip address in the dhcp server for a specific mac address, is not really - the device has to ask the dhcp for its address.

However they more or less amount to the same thing.

Well yes and no - depends on what vintage you are....:p

Assigning a device a static ip address is using a static ip - it does not need to connect to a dhcp server.

Reserving an ip address in the dhcp server for a specific mac address, is not really - the device has to ask the dhcp for its address.

However they more or less amount to the same thing.

But its far easier to do it whilst sat in front of your pc,rather then run around the house changing network settings on many devices,

And considering they are fairly new routers,you would imagine it would be standard :(

Sooner the better you are able to put it in modem only mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mcgree

Ok so I get the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. In the manual it states that the router will run both simultaneously, so if the device can't pick up 5ghz it reverts to the 2.4ghz. I have both enabled in the settings but can only see the SSID for the 5ghz and cannot connect any 2.4ghz devices. Also to make it more confusing both GHz should have separate SSID and separate passwords, but mine defaults to 5ghz SSID only shown, but have to login with 2.4ghz password???

Really confused. In fairness getting about 46mbs on Iphone and Ipad wirelessly on 2.4ghz on the 100mb package, so not sure if the 5ghz would give me much more, or whether it would make a real difference streaming to these devices.

Any thoughts or tips on this router would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Cannot find any option to use bridging mode

I dont have one of these yet, but might do in a few weeks if I upgrade. So I did a google, found this from UPC netherlands on bridge mode.

http://vragen.upc.nl/app/answers/detail/a_id/1153/~/eigen-router-aansluiten-op-technicolor-tc7200

Chrome translate, or even looking at the pictures shows an option for bridge mode.

Does this look the same on the UPC Ireland's TC7200???

mcbert wrote: »
    I dont have one of these yet, but might do in a few weeks if I upgrade. So I did a google, found this from UPC netherlands on bridge mode.

http://vragen.upc.nl/app/answers/detail/a_id/1153/~/eigen-router-aansluiten-op-technicolor-tc7200

Chrome translate, or even looking at the pictures shows an option for bridge mode.

Does this look the same on the UPC Ireland's TC7200???

Nope there is no Switch mode tab in the Irish version,they are on firmware version STD 6.01.10 whereas us poor unfortunates are on STD 6.01.08 T20 :(

But at least we know it can be done,hopefully they will roll out the firmware upgrade that carries that option

When I click on internet connections, I only see the 2.4ghz UPC number and I do not see the 5ghz UPC number. So obviously I can only connect to the 2.4ghz one.

Should I be able to see the 5ghz number automatically or is there a switch or something in the router settings that I should change?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dave13

Mine wouldn't let me run both simultaneously. If you enable a second one, if you log back in you can see the first one has been disabled, seems to just allow the most recently enabled SSID

• Advertisement

dave13 wrote: »
    Mine wouldn't let me run both simultaneously. If you enable a second one, if you log back in you can see the first one has been disabled, seems to just allow the most recently enabled SSID

Same here m8 and worse still I tried it while only having a 2.4ghz compatible tablet on me lol

Had to reset the bloody thing to get back online :(

Hi,

Can someonehelp me with port fordwarding please.

Ip Address: 192.168.x.xx

Port. yy

In the port forwarding tab in the router it has the following, but I dont know what I need to enter in each category:
    Public Port Range

Target IP Address

Target Port Range

Protocol

Delete

Hi,

Can someonehelp me with port fordwarding please.

Ip Address: 192.168.x.xx

Port. yy

In the port forwarding tab in the router it has the following, but I dont know what I need to enter in each category:
    Public Port Range

Target IP Address

Target Port Range

Protocol

Delete

The public and target port range will be the port your forwarding i.e if its 24000 then you would put 24000-24000 in both,

Target IP address is the devices IP that you are forwarding the port to,

Protocol will be TCP unless you plan on using it for streaming in which case you would use UDP,if your not sure you can use both :)

This router is really hobbled.

I noticed a few options that were on it when I first turned it on (USB port and media server options) mysteriously disappeared when the modem first connected . Probably an update from UPC.

I can't even put it into bridge mode so I can use my TP link with open-WRT on it. :rolleyes:

Anyone that used this feature on their previous modem/router or modem (depending on model) needs to really complain to UPC Ireland about this.
    What you saw with the extra features before they disappeared, was the standard firmware that seems to be available to UPC Netherlands customers, but for some reason UPC Ireland have decided to disable them!
    On line support also seem to be unable to explain why these features have been disabled, except to 'sing the company song' - 'we do not support bridging'

My view of it, is that if a customer wants to make use of this feature they should be able to, and by doing so accept the consequences of no support from UPC.

Anyone that used this feature on their previous modem/router or modem (depending on model) needs to really complain to UPC Ireland about this.
    What you saw with the extra features before they disappeared, was the standard firmware that seems to be available to UPC Netherlands customers, but for some reason UPC Ireland have decided to disable them!
    On line support also seem to be unable to explain why these features have been disabled, except to 'sing the company song' - 'we do not support bridging'

My view of it, is that if a customer wants to make use of this feature they should be able to, and by doing so accept the consequences of no support from UPC.

Not that we should have use bridge mode in the first place,my previous router was a relatively bog standard netgear wrn 854 ( I think ) but it did everthing i needed,as should any standard router,

This one is so basic its laughable

wiz569 wrote: »
    Not that we should have use bridge mode in the first place,my previous router was a relatively bog standard netgear wrn 854 ( I think ) but it did everthing i needed,as should any standard router,

This one is so basic its laughable

Ideally we just need a straight forward modem - as we had with the SA2203.
    Then you just use whatever router you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 belmo

Same problem here .. Got one of these modems yesterday after upgrading from 25meg to 100.

Tried to change the default ip address back to 192.168.1.1 no luck. Also have camera at house and tried to port forward . no luck. Keep getting this error.

" Error converting one or more entries "

Software Version STD6.01.08.T20

I did see options for USB etc but they seem to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lads i just got this today for an upgrade but i can't get it working.

All the lights on the front are on.. But the wireless and Ethernet won't work.

I have a wireless router connected so i can have wifi.. and it shows up as an option.. and i ented the password that comes with it.. and it connects.. but there's no connection to the net.

What am I doing wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 belmo

NeVeR wrote: »
    Lads i just got this today for an upgrade but i can't get it working.

All the lights on the front are on.. But the wireless and Ethernet won't work.

I have a wireless router connected so i can have wifi.. and it shows up as an option.. and i ented the password that comes with it.. and it connects.. but there's no connection to the net.

What am I doing wrong ?

Took a good 5-10 mins to configure itself when i plugged it in at first.

Advertisement