Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land value Today

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

anytime land goes up for sale , all the neighbours take note , all of a sudden the assumed to be poor is able to splash the cash

Hi telly_lover,

Yep - very true, when land comes for sale in an area, a lot of people become very interested, as land close by is worth a lot in terms of ease of access, etc.

Two comments on your post
    What is "assumed to be poor"
    Are they the poor b'stards who have to drive in 1990-something cars? Maybe they are the poor devils who don't go on at least two foreign holidays a year?
    ;)

And what do you mean by "splash the cash"
    Do you mean you have seen them go into the auctioneer, with actual cash, and buy the land there and then?
    Or do you mean they ended up buying the land, and their financial dealings were hidden from you, so you don't know if they remortgaged some of their existing farm to expand?

I am not sure if you have an axe to grind, you seem to, maybe you dont, I dunno. :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

Hi telly_lover,

Yep - very true, when land comes for sale in an area, a lot of people become very interested, as land close by is worth a lot in terms of ease of access, etc.

Two comments on your post
    What is "assumed to be poor"
    Are they the poor b'stards who have to drive in 1990-something cars? Maybe they are the poor devils who don't go on at least two foreign holidays a year?
    ;)

And what do you mean by "splash the cash"
    Do you mean you have seen them go into the auctioneer, with actual cash, and buy the land there and then?
    Or do you mean they ended up buying the land, and their financial dealings were hidden from you, so you don't know if they remortgaged some of their existing farm to expand?

I am not sure if you have an axe to grind, you seem to, maybe you dont, I dunno. :confused:

no axe to grind , best of luck to anyone who can buy land but if farmers were as poor as so many of them let on , land would not be the price it is regardless of how secure an investment banks view it as , some say the chinese are buying up land in different parts of the world and that hedge funds are turning their attention to farming in a big way , all this bodes well for the price of land going forward , there is an billionaire investor who regulary appears on tv called jim rogers ( american ) who is borderline fanatical in his predictions on agriculture , he take a long term view of course , no guarentee milk couldnt drop back to 25 cent per litre or below it in a years time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

no axe to grind , best of luck to anyone who can buy land but if farmers were as poor as so many of them let on , land would not be the price it is regardless of how secure an investment banks view it as , some say the chinese are buying up land in different parts of the world and that hedge funds are turning their attention to farming in a big way , all this bodes well for the price of land going forward , there is an billionaire investor who regulary appears on tv called jim rogers ( american ) who is borderline fanatical in his predictions on agriculture , he take a long term view of course , no guarentee milk couldnt drop back to 25 cent per litre or below it in a years time

Telly lover most farmers are frugal people they tend to be careful with there money. If land comes for sale locally you will often see a bit of intrest most farmers who bu land, buy it only once or twice in a liftetime. It may well be a family purchase a son buying the land and his father giving him part of the money.

Also buying land is a trait, some farmers are able to they make the scarfices drive old van's or car's, work 70-80 hour weeks. This week you will not find them in the pub watching the European soccer.

As only half of one percent of land comes for sale every year of course it will be expensive and any farmer that buys land knows the scarfices that has to be made. Land is not as expensive as some posters make out locally in three parishes land has averaged about 7-8k an acre over the last year and a half. Also farmers may sell outlying land to buy land near or adajcent to the home farm or to increase there holding size. The new land will increase there income and allow them to finance part of it through this.

If you think there is lots of money in farming go get a loan sell your house and buy land and join us here on the forum.

Telly lover most farmers are frugal people they tend to be careful with there money. If land comes for sale locally you will often see a bit of intrest most farmers who bu land, buy it only once or twice in a liftetime. It may well be a family purchase a son buying the land and his father giving him part of the money.

Also buying land is a trait, some farmers are able to they make the scarfices drive old van's or car's, work 70-80 hour weeks. This week you will not find them in the pub watching the European soccer.

As only half of one percent of land comes for sale every year of course it will be expensive and any farmer that buys land knows the scarfices that has to be made. Land is not as expensive as some posters make out locally in three parishes land has averaged about 7-8k an acre over the last year and a half. Also farmers may sell outlying land to buy land near or adajcent to the home farm or to increase there holding size. The new land will increase there income and allow them to finance part of it through this.

If you think there is lots of money in farming go get a loan sell your house and buy land and join us here on the forum.

i hope to buy land soon , i sold property a number of years ago and done well with stocks this past few years , im waiting for the market crash which is predicted , only thing is , the clever people who are getting out of stocks right now might plough there money into land so their may be no further drop in land prices :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

i hope to buy land soon , i sold property a number of years ago and done well with stocks this past few years , im waiting for the market crash which is predicted , only thing is , the clever people who are getting out of stocks right now might plough there money into land so their may be no further drop in land prices :mad:

Sorry I think you missed the boat the time to buy cheap land was 2009/10 I cannot see it falling before 2015 and that is three years away.

• Advertisement

Sorry I think you missed the boat the time to buy cheap land was 2009/10 I cannot see it falling before 2015 and that is three years away.

i bought stocks in 2009 ;) , up 100 % since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cant argue with that return - not sure you will get the same with land ;)

I don't know if 1009 / 2010 was the time to buy - I think you could still pick up a bargin.
    IMO what determines the price of land is the neighbours. If there is mad interest amoungst the neighbours, then it will make good money. If no interest, then it could go for a good price. But... you might not the price, as one wants to tell those stories...
    Whereas if it made big money, everyone seems to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Stick to the stock market then and don't be worrying yourself about how much money farmers do/don't have

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Stick to the stock market then and don't be worrying yourself about how much money farmers do/don't have

any idiot could have made money since 2009 such was the huge sell off at the end of 2008 in stocks , if the euro collapses , 2008 might look like a picnic , houses are cheaper than land but i only see growth in posh parts of south dublin , combine that with property taxes and property is not going to be the winner it was IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What sort of acreage are ya after telly lover? Will ya be farming it? Plenty of big farms for sale around the country. 180 in Virginia not 100 miles from myself. 800 odd in Kildare. Can be split into lots I think. None of the reserves too high (7 or 8 an acre) IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Skittles_

So telly lover, you take your self as an investor in land? In Ireland? You truly are mad! Smart money is apparently going to Ukraine Russia South america etc.. And the investor guy highlighted a few pages back didn't he say Ireland's future was in property a few years ago? Then again I personally know 3 guys that went to Ukraine and got burned out in both senses of the word. Personally a large arable unit in the Paris basin or a lincs fen next or near an AD plant would be my choice.

Skittles_ wrote: »
    So telly lover, you take your self as an investor in land? In Ireland? You truly are mad! Smart money is apparently going to Ukraine Russia South america etc.. And the investor guy highlighted a few pages back didn't he say Ireland's future was in property a few years ago? Then again I personally know 3 guys that went to Ukraine and got burned out in both senses of the word. Personally a large arable unit in the Paris basin or a lincs fen next or near an AD plant would be my choice.

i think land is a good investment going forward , im not some hedge fund manager scouring the plannet for thousands of acres , i would not buy in a place like ukraine even i had millions to spend for the simple reason i know nothing about there laws in general or property rights , i know people who bought property in dubai off plans several years ago and the contracts were not worth the paper they were printed on , who knows if they will ever get their money back let alone see thier appartment built

time i finished up , this thread has taught me that land is dear in ireland due to the fact that banks have to lend to someone and they see land as being a better storer of wealth than other assetts , farmers wealth levels have little if anything to do with it

thanks for all the opinons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Skittles_ wrote: »

Any chance of a bit more info on the lads that went to Ukraine, curiousity's killing me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

How are farmers financing these land purchases?? I`d say they must have to stump up at least 30% of the purchase price and the banks lend the rest. Anyone get to borrow any money for land this year???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Grecco wrote: »
    How are farmers financing these land purchases?? I`d say they must have to stump up at least 30% of the purchase price and the banks lend the rest. Anyone get to borrow any money for land this year???

Last year. 30% deposit required and then a lot of begging and praying. Also had to pay the banks legal fees:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Grecco wrote: »

Yep had a large deposit - no problems - options from a few banks

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Have handled applications to banks with only 10% deposits available. All failed. Those with 30% deposits were only allowed go to a certain price per acre. All very profitable and capable farmers.

Any land that was sold around me lately has made well above that price per acre. Only conclusion I can draw from that is that these farms are being bought with very little financing (boom time money/motorway money) or being financed through incomes outside farming.
    Two biggest farms were bought by investors and immediately leased on long term agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Skittles_

[Quote=johnpawl

Any chance of a bit more info on the lads that went to Ukraine, curiousity's killing me[/Quote]
    PM

Advertisement