Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Gaming

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well it's why starcraft 2 is hard to pirate, you need an internet connection to even sign into your account and play the campaign.
    it's something starcraft 2 players are pretty annoyed about as blizzard refuse to release any kind of lan mode, all games have to be played over an internet connection and in the last 2 years there hasn't been any tournament.. from the 100 dollar to 100 thousand dollar ones that hasn't been plagued by lag issues or connection issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

well it's why starcraft 2 is hard to pirate, you need an internet connection to even sign into your account and play the campaign.
    it's something starcraft 2 players are pretty annoyed about as blizzard refuse to release any kind of lan mode, all games have to be played over an internet connection and in the last 2 years there hasn't been any tournament.. from the 100 dollar to 100 thousand dollar ones that hasn't been plagued by lag issues or connection issues.

My... ahem... 'copy' of SC2 was as straightforward to install as any other game although I only played it for about 30 mins and went back to WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

it's something starcraft 2 players are pretty annoyed about as blizzard refuse to release any kind of lan mode

This is the horrible irony about protection on games. You force the paying gamers to jump through hoops, but the pirates get a superior product that has been stripped of the annoying crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Zillah wrote: »
    This is the horrible irony about protection on games. You force the paying gamers to jump through hoops, but the pirates get a superior product that has been stripped of the annoying crap.
    Yet if it wasn't for people playing their "copies" of games, there'd be no need for it in the first place. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

gizmo wrote: »
    Yet if it wasn't for people playing their "copies" of games, there'd be no need for it in the first place. :pac:

Shouldn't be there in the first place, games get pirated, no matter what the devs do to stop it pirates find a way around it, the only game that comes to mind that pirates didn't crack is hawx 2 and that is because they didn't want to pirate such a terrible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Limericks wrote: »
    Shouldn't be there in the first place, games get pirated, no matter what the devs do to stop it pirates find a way around it, the only game that comes to mind that pirates didn't crack is hawx 2 and that is because they didn't want to pirate such a terrible game.

So the only way to stop piracy is to make terrible games!:O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

easy way to test that, how many times was duke nukem forever pirated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

This is how all piracy should be stopped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    This is how all piracy should be stopped! :D

haha, class... reminds me of what they did with darksouls and anyone who started playing early !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    haha, class... reminds me of what they did with darksouls and anyone who started playing early !

what did they do with darksouls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

People that started playing early were invaded by max level characters and raped....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

If you played the game early online you were invaded by Black Phantoms at level 145. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    If you played the game early online you were invaded by Black Phantoms at level 145. :)

ouch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Magill wrote: »

I remeber reading about the Micheal Jackson rythm game on the DS where if you pirated it all the songs were overlayed with the Vuvuzela.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Zillah wrote: »

This annoys me no end. I love videogames, it's rare that I'd even buy 2nd hand games, but I'd demand that when legitimately purchasing a game, you get the best options available & are rewarded for buying the game, not punished because you're the dummy who didn't click download. While i'm at it, bring back lovely coloured manuals. What do you mean, find the .pdf online? :mad:

On the previous point, I think those anti-piracy measures are hilarious and positive press for the games-developers. I think Batman : AA just didn't allow you to get a certain item so you couldn't progress past 1/3 into the game...so it was like an extended demo i guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jaykhunter wrote: »
    On the previous point, I think those anti-piracy measures are hilarious and positive press for the games-developers. I think Batman : AA just didn't allow you to get a certain item so you couldn't progress past 1/3 into the game...so it was like an extended demo i guess.

Mirrors Edge also made it so you couldn't make a certain jump, and would fall to your death. Unfortunately, like with all of the above methods, hackers removed it and allowed pirates to play it as normal.

Where there's a will (and there's always a will for free things), there's a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This story from a few years back was rather funny in terms of hackers though. :D

Is That A Cracked Version Of Max Payne 2 On Steam?

The Steam executable for Rockstar's Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne bears a striking resemblance to a no-CD hack released by now defunct piracy group Myth. Could it just be a coincidence?

Several Kotaku readers have pointed us towards a post on the Max Payne Steam forums, in which Steam user Liamaj points out the Myth logo he discovered after opening the Max Payne 2 executable in notepad.

I downloaded my own version of Max Payne 2 from Steam, and the logo is definitely in there.

Check out this image to compare executables. At the top, we have the executable downloaded for Max Payne 2 via Steam, with the Myth logo displayed prominently at the top. On the bottom, the executable file I found while searching for Max Payne 2 hacks in Google.

The Steam executable weighs in at 1,460 KB, while the 1.01 no-CD hack from Myth is 1,452 KB.

Now there's a chance this is just a prank from some Rockstar programmer, perhaps playing off the trouble Ubisoft ran into in 2008, when a no-CD hack from piracy group Reloaded was used in an official update to Rainbow 6: Vegas 2.

Or it could just be a lazy programmer. If the tool exists that gets the job done faster than creating a new one, why not use it? Of course, speaking out against piracy becomes a problem when you use the products of piracy in your official releases, but surely this won't upset anyone at all, right?

We've reached out to Rockstar for comment on the similarities between the two files, and will update should we receive a response.

http://kotaku.com/5537223/is-that-a-cracked-version-of-max-payne-2-on-steam

Advertisement