Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

Am I right in saying the Inter County players picked the Player and Young Player of the Years as opposed to the Journalists with the All Stars?

Just makes it interesting as I think you need to respect fellow player verdicts than journalists.

I agree with you...and as I asked above was it a sign of how much Gaelic football has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Nialler15 wrote: »
    I agree with you...and as I asked above was it a sign of how much Gaelic football has changed?

Yes I believe it does. I don't think it can be exclusively put down to certain journalists pushing a certain agenda/cause now. I think players give an honest enough reflection and I think Gaelic Football has certainly changed right down to the players opinion of what makes the difference, etc...

Nothing against Michael Dara but I am a more Brogan, Gooch, Cavanagh type winner..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes I believe it does. I don't think it can be exclusively put down to certain journalists pushing a certain agenda/cause now. I think players give an honest enough reflection and I think Gaelic Football has certainly changed right down to the players opinion of what makes the difference, etc...

Nothing against Michael Dara but I am a more Brogan, Gooch, type winner Cavanagh type rugby player..

IFTFU ;)

yop wrote: »
    IFTFU ;)

Still a class footballer!

I am a fan of the US MVP system.

I think there is a difference between MVP and Man of the Match/Player of the Year.

I cite 2001 as an example with Galway.

Declan Meehan was unbelievable that year. I may be wrong but I think everyone of his direct opponents were substituted that year bar one possibly?

Padraig Joyce was excellent at times and quiet at others. His final performance summed up his year. First half not his best then he comes out and basically wins the All Ireland for Galway.

Now on balance in terms of consistency and excellence of performance you cant argue with Meehan. But turn it around - who are you more likely to have won without?? Probably Meehan too in that you could replace a wing back to good effect but would you ever compensate for Joyce's loss or match his contribution??

That's just my take. Through that prism you would have to give the All Ireland winners Player of the Year every year and maybe this year Cluxton was the MVP or Brogan??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

McAuley had a huge effect on Dublin's success this year and deserves his award IMO.

He isn't the most skillful or graceful, but his strength and commitment are top notch. He dominated Aidan O'Sé in the final, was probably the most effective midfielder overall in the Kerry game (although Maher had a good first half) and despite the fact that players know now he is going to carry the ball, he doesn't get dispossesed often.

I would have liked to see Gooch get it being biased, but not going to quibble with that choice to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

From a Mayo perspective, I think Ger Cafferkey and Cillian O'Connor will be desperately disappointed not to have received an All-Star.

O'Connor's omission is strange IMO, the man scored 6 goals in the championship, 3 of those in the game where Mayo beat the reigning champions! Even stranger is that he didnt win YPOTY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

O'Connor's omission is strange IMO, the man scored 6 goals in the championship, 3 of those in the game where Mayo beat the reigning champions! Even stranger is that he didnt win YPOTY!
    It isn't really when you think about it:

- he scored 6 goals against London (hardly world beaters, no disrespect) and a Donegal team that were in a mess (two of them were tap ins also)

-he didn't score enough from play or influence a game enough when it counted (although he wasn't really aided by a misfiring forward line in general in the final)

- Jack was much more consistent all year even if he did fade towards the end of the year (something he will no doubt be aware of himself and will work on over the winter)

Cillian won't let missing out on an All Star bother him too much. What will bother him is that there doesn't seem to forwards coming through in Mayo that are the difference between finally breaking that long wait for Sam and forever being the bridesmaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dcr22B wrote: »
    It isn't really when you think about it:

- he scored 6 goals against London (hardly world beaters, no disrespect) and a Donegal team that were in a mess (two of them were tap ins also)

-he didn't score enough from play or influence a game enough when it counted (although he wasn't really aided by a misfiring forward line in general in the final)

- Jack was much more consistent all year even if he did fade towards the end of the year (something he will no doubt be aware of himself and will work on over the winter)

Cillian won't let missing out on an All Star bother him too much. What will bother him is that there doesn't seem to forwards coming through in Mayo that are the difference between finally breaking that long wait for Sam and forever being the bridesmaid.

I don't know how you can say McCaffrey was more consistent. He was a liability in the Semi Final and Final. He was great against Cork and good against Meath, but I couldn't for a second say he was consistent.

O'Connor when injury permitted him to be on the field played very well. He missed two frees in the AIF which he played half fit, and still kicked all the frees from then on. He might not have played brilliantly but he didn't play poorly either.

Whether he was an All Star is questionable. McManus had a fine year as did O'Donaghue but I think he certainly should have been YPOY.

MDMA fully deserved the POTY award and though I would have liked to see Gooch nominated, McAuley had such a huge influence on this Dublin team everytime he was on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed re the changing nature of football and arguments for and against rewarding the finesse players versus the undervalued so called workhorses who are less skillful.But for somebody whose admiration of the Gooch knows no boundaries,how can you award him Player of the Year for a first half of sustained brilliance and a good year besides by his elevated standards?All Ireland final winners usually pick up the gong,MDMA was'nt outstanding in the All Ireland final but certainly the Dublin midfield's mobility helped in the winning of that final.His will to win that ball and put his body on the line against the 3 Kerry lads went a long way towards Dublin recapturing Sam.
    MDMA was consistently good this year and as was mentioned before Dublin's biggest mistake in last year's All Ireland semi final was starting him against us at centre forward,the pendulum swung back when he was switched back to midfield.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So general consensus, MDMA deserved it.

COC should have picked up the YPOTY.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't know how you can say McCaffrey was more consistent. He was a liability in the Semi Final and Final. He was great against Cork and good against Meath, but I couldn't for a second say he was consistent.
    Did you actually read the third point of my post?

Stoner wrote: »
    So general consensus, MDMA deserved it.

COC should have picked up the YPOTY.

On performance yes probably but he will manage with two of them in fairness. Probably a lot more annoyed about the All Star.

Did you actually read the third point of my post?

Yes, and I have no idea how a player who plays well in some games and terrible in others can be defined as consistent.

Consistency implies playing at the same level over the whole year.

In my opinion he was the opposite of consistant.

Nice of you to nitpick like that when I acknowledged that he struggled in the last two games of the year :rolleyes:

Nice of you to nitpick like that when I acknowledged that he struggled in the last two games of the year :rolleyes:
    Look im not trying to have an argument.

McCaffrey is at the age of 19 one of the most promising young footballers in the country.

He has speed to burn and is a serious attacking threat.

If he learns from the likes of McCarthy who is brilliant going forward but better defending then he will be the best Wing Back in the country.

My only point on this is that he wasn't consistent this year, so to award him YPOTY on consistency would not be right IMO!

I felt that CO'C was better, granted you have to take opposition into the equasion, but against the reigning AIC's he ran the show at corner forward, and was the top scorer in the championship and would have been a more worthy winner of YPOTY.

Its a discussion forum, I was discussing your point, that is all!

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Look im not trying to have an argument.

Neither am I, you just touched a nerve and I slight overreacted. Apologies :)

My argument was more that surely if you are Player of the Year, you will have performed over the entire year which is something O'Connor wasn't (albeit that was down to injuries).

Jack was the difference between us falling over the line against Cork and being knocked at the QF stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Neither am I, you just touched a nerve and I slight overreacted. Apologies :)

My argument was more that surely if you are Player of the Year, you will have performed over the entire year which is something O'Connor wasn't (albeit that was down to injuries).

Jack was the difference between us falling over the line against Cork and being knocked at the QF stage.

When exactly did O'Connor not perform ?

V Tyrone when we was off after 12 mins ?
    v Dublin when he scored 8 pts ?, not a bad tally when not fully fit ?

He missed 2 frees all year, 2 out of 19.

When exactly did O'Connor not perform ?

V Tyrone when we was off after 12 mins ?
    v Dublin when he scored 8 pts ?, not a bad tally when not fully fit ?

He missed 2 frees all year, 2 out of 19.
    But seriously, read my post on the previous page.

He scored all of his 8 points from frees in the final and the majority of them were tapovers in his book.

I am not for one minute suggesting that Cillian did not have a bad year but he didn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck at any stage during the summer (obviously his injuries stymied him) whereas I will stand over my defence that Jack was pivotal to a lot of Dublin's success during the year (final point in the league final, vital goal v Cork when we were stuttering in the QF).

Cillian already has two YPOTY so I doubt he will be too bothered about it, what he would like is nothing more than having a Celtic cross in the phóca than a hat trick of YPOTYs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But seriously, read my post on the previous page.

He scored all of his 8 points from frees in the final and the majority of them were tapovers in his book.

I am not for one minute suggesting that Cillian did not have a bad year but he didn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck at any stage during the summer (obviously his injuries stymied him) whereas I will stand over my defence that Jack was pivotal to a lot of Dublin's success during the year (final point in the league final, vital goal v Cork when we were stuttering in the QF).

Cillian already has two YPOTY so I doubt he will be too bothered about it, what he would like is nothing more than having a Celtic cross in the phóca than a hat trick of YPOTYs.

the bits in bold

A few posts back your basis for the argument was that O'Connor did not perform over the entire year
    So when I gave you details of his scoring consistency you come back with the new argument that he didn’t grab the game by the scruff of the neck

Well did you not think his early goal v Donegal to set the tone was not grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, or his second early in the second half which stopped any chance of a Donegal revival ?
    Admittedly he did not do it in the final but neither did Jack

As for Jack's performance in the league, I am nolt sure if the league is in the scope of the All Star or POTY selections, someone correct me if I'm wrong
    But if you wish to include the league I give you O'Connors two late points v Cork that kept Mayo in Div 1, no tap-overs by any means
    Was that not taking the game by the scruff of the neck ?

I think that winning in 2012, which surprised me, hampered his chances in 2013

Advertisement