Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭squonk

Great band but hardly a big name in rock at his stage. Free is free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

In fairness the Coronas were pretty much the headline act last time aside from the Stunning and it'll cost the large sum of 0 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A very good 50 minute documentary of VOR Leg 5, where the boats went from New Zealand around Cape Horn to Brazil, getting absolutely hammered by the Southern Ocean in the process.

The difficulty of finding the balance between having a very light fast boat and being able to survive the most difficult and dangerous Ocean on earth is well illustrated.

Man and his puny machines definitely came out second best...

Update on the state of play in the Volvo Ocean Race Leg 6:

The boats are running out of food and wind in the Bermuda triangle on their way to Miami.

Puma (USA) is 10 miles ahead of Camper (NZ) with about 200 miles to go to the finish. About 70 miles back, Groupama (France) is in third place just ahead of Telefonica (Spain) playing chicken with the Carribean reefs. Abu Dhabi brings up the rear, about 130 miles behind the leader.

Live tracker here: http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on what day(s) would be best to take off work during the Volvo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭thesandeman

If its going to be as good as the last one I would suggest all of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

macgabhs wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples opinions are on what day(s) would be best to take off work during the Volvo?

I'd wait for an accurate weather forecast before booking any tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

c_man wrote: »
    I'd wait for an accurate weather forecast before booking any tbh :pac:
    Definitely! The last one was on a June bank holiday and came with cracking weather for 10 days or so that completely made the whole thing happen. No weather and it will be a big floppy flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Definitely! The last one was on a June bank holiday and came with cracking weather for 10 days or so that completely made the whole thing happen. No weather and it will be a big floppy flop.

Yep, same way with the majority of events in Ireland, largely weather dependent :o here's hoping!

macgabhs wrote: »

Take your pick... As well as the Race Village at the Docks and the Ocean Village in South Park being open from 10am - 10pm, the main events of the Volvo race are as follows :

Saturday 30/06/2012... Hookers and Dhows race on the bay and Villages open.
    Tuesday 03/07/2012... Fleet expected to arrive from Lorient (weather dependent)
    Tuesday 03/07/2012... 20.00 hrs Welcome to Galway Arrival party at the Docks.
    Friday 06/07/2012... 11.00 hrs Three Pro Am races on the bay.
    Saturday 07/07/2012... 11.30 hrs The final In-Port Race on the bay.
    Saturday 07/07/2012... 16.00 hrs Public Prize giving of the Ocean Race Trophy
    Sunday 08/07/1212... 18.00 hrs The closing ceremony of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012.

There is the prospect of an exciting finale, with the overall winner of the round the world race being decided by the In-Port race on the bay… where 6 points are available for first place, 5 for second etc. The top four boats are only separated by 14 points at present.
    See: http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/scoreboard/rdc.html

More details of the events in Galway here: http://www.volvooceanracegalway.ie/en-gb/galwayevents.aspx?selecteddate=20110701

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

squonk wrote: »
    Great band but hardly a big name in rock at his stage. Free is free though.
    In fairness the Coronas were pretty much the headline act last time aside from the Stunning and it'll cost the large sum of 0 euro.
    I wasn't around for the last one so I would be grateful if someone can clarify how this works. Can you just turn up on the day to see or do you need to still need to apply for a ticket somehow even though it's free? (That was the way it worked for the Tall Ships Race in Waterford last year to limit numbers for crowd control.) Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

just turn up at the docks for the free entertainment.

Just walk over to where the music is emanating from in a penguin-like fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Just 17 pts seperates the top 4 boats at the moment.The transatlantic leg from Miami to Lisbon starts this Sunday.The Live Race Tracker on the offical site is great,in the space of a few hours things can change quite quickly.
    Heres a link to the offical site home page showing the leader board:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/home.html

The best case scenario would be for 2 or 3 boats to be in with a shout of winning it when they are on the final leg between Lorient and here,they would round Black Head together and then there'd be some drag race on the bay to the finish line:-).Also the In-port race would then be even better to watch if it still wasnt decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

just turn up at the docks for the free entertainment.

Even better, live in the many apartments on the Docks, and the party's at your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fair play to you galwayspur but you must be in the minority. If I was taking a week off for the ocean race it would be spent enjoying it, on the beer around town, relaxing etc etc. I dont think you will find too many people willing to use up their holidays to work 8 hours shifts at an event which would be much more fun if you were just attending it rather than working at it.

I'll put on my W&J hat for a second, and comment that many employers would not be impressed with you using the time that they give you for rest and relaxation working full-time for someone else. It might be ok if the work you were doing was totally unlike your day-job, and totally non-stressful. But somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

JustMary wrote: »
    I'll put on my W&J hat for a second, and comment that many employers would not be impressed with you using the time that they give you for rest and relaxation working full-time for someone else. It might be ok if the work you were doing was totally unlike your day-job, and totally non-stressful. But somehow I doubt it.

Doing something along the same lines as your "paid" job could be frowned upon by an employer I suppose. Very few (if any) aspects of the VOR volunteer experience were stressful, I can't recall any though...

There was (is?) a great deal of flexibility with regard to the hours that I was there for, the people that over saw the volunteers were totally fine with people that had other comittments and had to leave early or start late. I reckon the "8 hour" requirement is a logistical tool that they are using to get an idea of the people that will be around the most. For every one of those bods there'll be 3 or 4 volunteers that are available for a couple of hours here and there.

Fwiw, my "day job" is totally different to anything I did during the VOR stopover, although my office is only up the road from the docks. It was great seeing a few of my colleagues down there on their lunch breaks etc, it was even better not having to go back with them and staying out in the sun.

I'd 100% recommend volunteering, whatever hours you can, the experience is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

galwayspur- head of recruitment VOR Galway stopover 2012.

yeehaw me and Phil Collins were wondering were you in contact with Peter Gabriel lately?

yeehaw me and Phil Collins were wondering were you in contact with Peter Gabriel lately?

I lost my job at VOR while trying to convince those corporate shills which way to go with the music. Peter was excited and ready to do his thing. Regrettably the budget only allowed for one of Pete or Thin Lizzy. I was the only advocate for Pete. When the ballot was cast in VOR HQ I lost the plot. I lunged for my boss, went for his eyes I did. I had one finger in his his eye socket when I was pulled off him. I mean ffs the moron didn't even know that Phil Lynott and Gary Moore had passed on when he booked them!! I was dragged screaming from the room. Thankfully I have an Uncle in a position of influence and he convinced those sons of whores to drop the charges. I've been sitting in my house in my underpants listening to Solsbury Hill since.

I'm not sure why you insist that you know that talentless no mark Collins. Everyone knows Pete was the talent in Genesis. No one gets on with Phil. I'd certainly give his daughter one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Sure your not thinking of Joan?

yeehaw wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you insist that you know that talentless no mark Collins. Everyone knows Pete was the talent in Genesis. No one gets on with Phil. I'd certainly give his daughter one though.
    Just because you lost your volunteer role does not mean you have to stoop to such levels to slag my Phil.

*Puts back in monocle*

Just because you lost your volunteer role does not mean you have to stoop to such levels to slag my Phil.

*Puts back in monocle*

As I've said before I wasn't a volunteer. My salary was significant. I'm investing what I've got put away in aviation. In aviation.

yeehaw I have something to confess. I am your father, Phil Collins.

Well even if you are I'd still throw one into your daughter.

Volvo Ocean Race Beo at 17:45 on TG4 today.

Live coverage from the start of the 7th Leg as the boats depart Miami and begin their journey to Lisbon in Portugal, a distance of 6,649 kilometres.

Light winds are forecast for the mid Atlantic, making this an interesting challenge for the navigators to maximize their speed in tricky winds.

Once underway the boats can be tracked in realtime here: http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Hey, what date are Thin Lizzy gonna be playing can anyone tell me?

Please and thanks :)

A short 5 minute taster of what to expect when the In-Port race is off the Prom in Salthill on Saturday 7th July, instead of off South Beach in Miami last Saturday.

I hope we get Miami weather but don’t have a gobsh*te driving a four storey high spectator craft to screw up the race for the leading boat as they approach the finish !

Overall leader board after Miami In-Port Race:

1. Telephonic (Spain) 165
    2. Groupama (France) 158
    3. Camper (NZ) 152
    4. Puma (USA) 151
    5. Abu Dhabi 74
    6. Sanya (China) 27

Only 7 points between 1st and 2nd and a 14 point spread over the first 4 boats, with plenty of points to play for yet.

(30, 25, 20 etc. for the places on the long legs and 6, 5, 4 etc for the In-Port legs)

Tightening up nicely for an exciting finish in Galway (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Looks great on the tv but standing on the prom at Salthill watching sails a few miles away is not very exciting. I watched the last time and quite honestly there is nothing to see unless you are out there, not knocking in any way but when they are well away from the coast its boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

On top of the hill beside Silver Strand beach is a great place to watch the in-port race,thats where we were last time and we had a great view,i highly recommend people to go there to watch it.It will be jammed with cars down there though so walk or cycle there if you can or park up at Barna Church and walk down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement