Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

BD28 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin

Have you got a link to these tables? I think I know the ones you're talking about but can't remember them fully and don't see them on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BD28

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

hope this works....its on the means test part of the citizensinformation website....i just googled student grants and went into their site.

ThanksB

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin

The first table means they get the student contribution of 2000 paid plus maintenance of 3000 or 2000 or 1000.

The second table means they don't get maintenance but they get the student contribution either fully paid or partially paid

Obviously those are the 2011/2012 figures so they will probably change for 2012/2013. The student contribution goes up to 2250. I am presuming also that your daughter is fully eligible for free tuition fees.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BD28

Thanks, thats a little clearer....I realise the figures will probably change but maybe not too much....as for free tuition yes I presume she qualifies? Why would she not?

Thanks a million for your help

BD

Thanks, thats a little clearer....I realise the figures will probably change but maybe not too much....as for free tuition yes I presume she qualifies? Why would she not?

Thanks a million for your help

BD

Once she is an Irish citizen then yes she will almost certainly be eligible for free tuition fees. The new means tests will take some capital assets into account

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ac07

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the dependent/Independent mature student part.
    In October i lived in Australia, i returned home in Jan and have since been living back in my parents home, does this class me as being dependent?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Hi Im filling out the grant this year and my Dad is self employed also..I'm just wondering what you ended up doing in this situation as I see no other answers?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

ac07 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a question regarding the dependent/Independent mature student part.
    In October i lived in Australia, i returned home in Jan and have since been living back in my parents home, does this class me as being dependent?

I'd say so - just a little word on you living in Oz. I had to account for my time spent in Oz - needed to get an affidavit signed by a commissioner for oaths to account for the time spent outside Ireland. No one told me this until I sent in my forms and did everything else - it's not written anywhere and was a cause of real annoyance to me cos they only let me know weeks after i had sent everything in - my application was delayed for ages because of it so just thought I'd give you a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ac07

hcass wrote: »
    I'd say so - just a little word on you living in Oz. I had to account for my time spent in Oz - needed to get an affidavit signed by a commissioner for oaths to account for the time spent outside Ireland. No one told me this until I sent in my forms and did everything else - it's not written anywhere and was a cause of real annoyance to me cos they only let me know weeks after i had sent everything in - my application was delayed for ages because of it so just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Tulip75

Hi,

I received the grant as a mature student last year and was entitled to 100% student contribution, full fees and 25% maintenance. My income for 2011 (prior to starting college) puts me over the limit for the amount I received last year but it looks like I would receive 50% of the Student Contribution. There's no way I'm going to be able to afford my fees and half the SC this year!!

I moved in with my BF at the beginning of the summer (he's currently not working and in receipt of JB) so when filling in the grant form for this coming year do I need to account for his JB for 2011 and my earnings for the first 9 months of 2011 i.e. complete the applicant and co-habitant sections or just the co-habitant section?

It seemed way more straight forward last year and I expected this year (as a renewal of last year's application) to be the same but it's like applying from scratch all over again and I'm so confused!!

Any help appreciated!
    Tulip75

• Advertisement

Tulip75 wrote: »
    Hi,

I received the grant as a mature student last year and was entitled to 100% student contribution, full fees and 25% maintenance. My income for 2011 (prior to starting college) puts me over the limit for the amount I received last year but it looks like I would receive 50% of the Student Contribution. There's no way I'm going to be able to afford my fees and half the SC this year!!

I moved in with my BF at the beginning of the summer (he's currently not working and in receipt of JB) so when filling in the grant form for this coming year do I need to account for his JB for 2011 and my earnings for the first 9 months of 2011 i.e. complete the applicant and co-habitant sections or just the co-habitant section?

It seemed way more straight forward last year and I expected this year (as a renewal of last year's application) to be the same but it's like applying from scratch all over again and I'm so confused!!

Any help appreciated!
    Tulip75

I don't know anything about including your boyfriends income so maybe someone else can help with that.
    But are you still earning? Because you could tell them that you've had a change of circumstances and so no longer earn what you did in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Does anyone know is this 5 years counting back from July 2012. So I could send them documents for 3 years between July 2007 and July 2012 ?

CommanderC wrote: »
    Does anyone know is this 5 years counting back from July 2012. So I could send them documents for 3 years between July 2007 and July 2012 ?

Yes that should be fine

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Hi, I got my application pack and they require a ''certified copy of passport'' (as proof of nationality). How do you define a 'certified' copy? Do you make a photocopy and go to the solicitor?

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Hi, I got my application pack and they require a ''certified copy of passport'' (as proof of nationality). How do you define a 'certified' copy? Do you make a photocopy and go to the solicitor?

Get a photocopy signed at a garda station

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9548/step-3-check-your-nationality-related-status/index.html

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

My stepson is applying for a grant as a depentent student for next year and needs advice on the following ,

I am not his legal guardian but i am married to his mother , and was wondering if I am to be included in the assesment of earnings on the application form.
    We were both taxed jointly last year, my wife was self employed , but no longer has the business and our financial circumstances wold have changed from 2011.
    Thanks for any info on this.

jay.i.am wrote: »
    My stepson is applying for a grant as a depentent student for next year and needs advice on the following ,

I am not his legal guardian but i am married to his mother , and was wondering if I am to be included in the assesment of earnings on the application form.
    We were both taxed jointly last year, my wife was self employed , but no longer has the business and our financial circumstances wold have changed from 2011.
    Thanks for any info on this.

It's not 100% clear - I think your income is considered

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    Persons whose income is considered
    21. (1) Where the applicant is a dependent student, the income of the applicant and his or her parents, as appropriate, shall be taken into account in calculating whether the limit(s) specified is exceeded.

(2) Where the dependent student’s parents are divorced or legally separated,
    or it is established to the satisfaction of the relevant awarding authority that
    they are separated, the reckonable income shall be that of the applicant and of the parent or parents with whom the applicant resides

Changes in income can be accounted for as a "change of circumstances" - which you can notify SUSI of

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

A question re non adjacent rate of grant. If you calculate the distance from my home to college it works out at 49km using the motorway and 34km in an alternative (longer timed) route. The cut off is 45km for the non adjacent rate so which route should they be taking? I have already emailed the council and they say that they will be most likely taking the 34km route which would downgrade me from 6,100 to 2445 approx! I can appeal it if I do send in an application but I'm not sure what the initial result will be? what route SHOULD they take? It makes no sense to avoid the motorway and to use the other route would be seriously harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

Anybody?

brianclown wrote: »
    Anybody?

It's never been clear to me how they work out the distance. I think some councils used AA routemaster, some used google maps routefinder and some just measured as the crow flies.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

hello can anyone tell me if the registration has to be paid up front by me if i get the grant but dont get it on time. or will the college allow me reg with a letter from susi and wait till the money is issued? any help would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Hi,
    I'm filling out my grant renewal form. I'm on the reckonable income section. It asks were there any changes to my reckonable income from jan 2012 onwards.
    I got a temporary job for July, which is now finished, so 4 weeks temp work, do I answer yes to the question and write in about the work?

Also, when I applied for the grant my dad was unemployed. However, he eventually got a part time job as a bus driver.

I didn't tell DCC this, I filled out the old 1 page renewal form last year, I don't remember it asking about changes to income, am I in trouble?

thanks.

INFODAD wrote: »
    hello can anyone tell me if the registration has to be paid up front by me if i get the grant but dont get it on time. or will the college allow me reg with a letter from susi and wait till the money is issued? any help would be great thanks

Depends on the college, you gotta check with them individually but generally speaking they normally just wait for the grant and don't make you pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

How the heck can I prove independence?

I'm living in my friends house, which is in his name, as are all the bills. No rent agreements, leases or allowances. The only bill in my name is my mobile bill which I got years back when I was renting somewhere else, and of course I never changed the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClodaghMM

I have a problem with Course Acceptance Form. I got a letter from SUSI and in the Explanation of Documents Required it says: "please complete the attached course acceptance form and return to SUSI. But there was no form attached to this letter. I called susi helpdesk and emailed them and ive been told that I am supposed to contact a college and they would send me one... i'm confused. Did anyone get a Course Acceptance Form from susi??

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭[Steve]

I'm on the grantsonline website.

IT WONT WORK.

I'm entering details, the site is so slow, it's not my internet, everything else is fast. I can believe many people are on the site. But it throws back errors at me all the time. DocumentError / NetworkError etc.

I CAN FILL OUT THE FORM, I HAVE THE INFORMATION.

THE SITE IS BROKEN / UNBELIEVABLY SLOW. Ridiculous. It's gotten to a point where I'm just giving up till later tonight and see if nobody is using the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I'm renewing my grant (yay) and so far it doesn't look like I have to send off many documents? Do I have to send back the ones I sent off last year...?

Also do I have to prove that the number of dependent children has changed (I have a new baby brother)? It doesn't specifically say it on the form but I'd rather not have it sent back to me considering I'm applying for it a bit later and they take so long anyway.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

Hoping to get a definitive answer on a question:

For assessing independent living,do you need to have been renting/living away from home on the date of 1st October 2011 until now?

I have been living independently since January 2012 so wondering if the 3 months prior to this (spent living at home) will impact my application!

Thanks In advance for any responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Minevah wrote: »
    Hoping to get a definitive answer on a question:

For assessing independent living,do you need to have been renting/living away from home on the date of 1st October 2011 until now?

I have been living independently since January 2012 so wondering if the 3 months prior to this (spent living at home) will impact my application!

Thanks In advance for any responses

The form states you need proof that you were living independently BEFORE October 2011 and a month before the date on the SUSI form, so June 2012.

I'd say you're out of luck there. Sorry.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I filled out the online form, I skipped the section about parents (took the independent route). So far nothing has been said to me about proving where my parents live. If I put down my parent's address on the application and used letters that had my name at my parent's address, how would SUSI know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 atom2

Hi, quick question, is overtime taken into account when applying for the grant?

Advertisement