Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to move meter boxes.

• 14-01-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has had experience of this before. Im looking at an extension. Pretty simplejob just an extra 2 room to the side of an 2 story house. PRoblem is the side they want to build on has the ESB & Gas meter boxes. As well as the gas boiler (inside) but the vents all come out through the wall im concerened with.

Now i know that the ESB/Board Gass have to come out and move the boxes for you but any idea how much this will cost and how big a job it is or is it basically a simple enough task.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Hi just wondering if anyone has had experience of this before. Im looking at an extension. Pretty simplejob just an extra 2 room to the side of an 2 story house. PRoblem is the side they want to build on has the ESB & Gas meter boxes. As well as the gas boiler (inside) but the vents all come out through the wall im concerened with.

Now i know that the ESB/Board Gass have to come out and move the boxes for you but any idea how much this will cost and how big a job it is or is it basically a simple enough task.

Speaking as an electrical contractor I can tell you that you will have to get a registered contractor to move the meter cubicle and extend or replace the tails.You will also have to redirect the ducting leading to the existing cubicle. Then a cert is issued and then the the esb will come and relocate the meter only. Not the cubicle. Also you should make sure your earth rod is not going to be under the new extension or it will need to be relocated as well. Obviously the contractor will have to be paid and the esb will charge you as well. Not sure about the gas but I would imagine it is the same situation. You'll have to get a registered contractor who can certify the work.
    A call to esb and bord gais will get the ball rolling for you and clarify all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

knx wrote: »
    Speaking as an electrical contractor I can tell you that you will have to get a registered contractor to move the meter cubicle and extend or replace the tails.You will also have to redirect the ducting leading to the existing cubicle. Then a cert is issued and then the the esb will come and relocate the meter only. Not the cubicle. Also you should make sure your earth rod is not going to be under the new extension or it will need to be relocated as well. Obviously the contractor will have to be paid and the esb will charge you as well. Not sure about the gas but I would imagine it is the same situation. You'll have to get a registered contractor who can certify the work.
    A call to esb and bord gais will get the ball rolling for you and clarify all of this.

Cheers, I would be getting a proper contractor to do it all right i was looking for a ball park figure so i could factor it into and costings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Plumber and electrician will factor these into their prices though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NickiRose

Hi Rev Kitchen. Just a quick question. Like you we are looking at building an extension on, similar to yours, end of house, where meter is situated and will need to be moved. Roughly how much did it cost you in the end?
    Thanks, Nicki.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I had this done recently in D7 - got ESB box moved that is. It took the ESB about 10 weeks to complete - so get your "order" in asap. Their systems are the pits! Ring throiugh 0800 number "I need box moved, have cert, etc"... your put on system 1 - it sends you an invoice within 10 days. When recieved you need to send a POXY cheque to Galway, can't use a card - thats way too modern!! Cheque clears 5 days later and your now on system 2!! Eventually you get onto a worklist - system 3 and as far as I know there is no priority. I never figured out how you are meant to get to the top...During this process you'll make numerous calls and be on hold for hours being bounced around from dept to dept. During one of these calls I got the name of the head "worklist" chap. During another call I got his mobile number. I'd ring daily (we were quite pally on the phone - Howaya John, watch the match last night etc) I quite literally begged for my box to be moved - tbh I was close to offering him cash in hand for himself if it got done....got a call one Friday - we can do it on Monday at 10am. 2 lads turned up at 11am had it done in 45 mins..

At least I'm not bitter about the whole experience ;).

Cost was 350 odd - can find out for sure if required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NickiRose

Thanks Whezler, love all the systems and lists they have in place, lol, doesn't surprise me one bit. What is it about this country and red tape, why can't anything be straight forward. Jeez, better stop before I turn bitter before I even get started!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Got my gas meter moved about a year or so ago, from inside uinder the stairs to otside on boundry wall. It cost €650 for reconnection by Bord Gas. The plumber has to run a new supply out to the relocated box, Board Gas simply connected a new pipe - about 200mm into recolated meter.

Advertisement