Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best way to remove Make-up?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 poutie

I use the No 7 eye makeup remover, its fab, follwed by Clarins Cleanser and Lancome Toner. I love toner, I think it takes off the excess cleanser and my skin feels very refreshed after it. Then Clarins Hydra Quench Cream and Clinique All about Eyes eye cream.

Once a week, I use Clarins exfoliating toner and Hydra quench mask. At the moment, I'm using the YSL Forever Youth Serum under my moisturiser, its gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I use Simple Baby Wipes for removing make-up, and I'd seriously never waste money on face wipes again since I've started using them! They're way bigger and "wetter" than face wipes, and they work out at only a tiny fraction of the cost. (I've tried a few different brands of baby wipes, by the way, and Simple are the only ones that I've found to be any good for getting the makeup off.)

I also use Simple moisturising face wash in the shower every morning, and usually use a little Simple Light Moisturiser under my make-up.

And that's it, that's about as far as my "skincare routine" goes. :o I always feel like I should be doing more ... but I have super-sensitive skin, and that's what's working well for me at the moment, so I won't be changing it anytime soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I use dove exfoliating soap to wash my face, don't wear a huge amount of makeup and find this works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I use silcocks base and hot water in the evenings with a damp face cloth. Gets rid of every scrap of make up. I've got quite sensitive skin and this doesn't irritate it or make my skin sore and stingy. Astral moisturiser. Simple spot stick for any blemishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I use Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish with a hot muslin cloth. It even takes off mascara without stinging the eyes out of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I got a tester of Lancôme bi facil last Year and it is the only thing I will use to remove my eye make up.

I mix things up with regards to make up removal mostly wipes and then cleanser and toner.

My skin is quite dry and I was over exfoliating for a while. Changed my foundation to a moisture based one and it seems to be better now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just use face wipes because they are the quickest way to get it off. Can't be bothered with any of that exfoliating/face wash/night moisteroiser shite :/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Interesting discussion! I used to use Bare Minerals foundation most days and never cleansed - it genuinely had mostly worn off by the end of the day, so I'd just use a wipe to take off mascara at night time, and I never had issues with breakouts.

Now I've moved to Smashbox liquid foundation and Halo powder, and I've been using the wipes to take that off each night. Even though they're quite wet they do sting a bit, but I usually just slap on some moisturiser straight away to deal with that. Starting to rethink this strategy now, though!

A friend swears by Clinique's Take The Day Off stuff, so I might ask for a sample and see how I get on. Thanks for the food for thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Interesting discussion! I used to use Bare Minerals foundation most days and never cleansed

*faints in horror*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish - I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Depends on the layers some of the girls Ive seen should use a spade:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OK, as a result of reading this thread (and because I had a No. 7 voucher ;)) I bought their eye make-up remover to try it out. I'll still use the facial wipes too though!

And I do use a foaming cleanser in the shower, just not to remove make-up. And also a decent moisturiser afterwards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Malari wrote: »
    OK, as a result of reading this thread (and because I had a No. 7 voucher ;)) I bought their eye make-up remover to try it out. I'll still use the facial wipes too though!

And I do use a foaming cleanser in the shower, just not to remove make-up. And also a decent moisturiser afterwards. :)

Same here :) Just bought a bottle specifically to keep in work so I can remove eye makeup properly if I'm cycling home.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

God I can't believe the amount of people who use the wipes considering any beautician or make up artist would tell you how bad they are for your skin! :eek:

I use them after a night out cos I really couldn't be bothered at 3am with the long ritual. But other than that I sometimes use the Garnier "Soft" range- cleanser, toner, moisturiser. I have very sensitive and dry skin and this really does feel soft on your skin. Otherwise I kind of use whatever happens to be on offer in Boots or Sam McCauleys.

I was at the beauticians last week and was telling her how badly dry my skin has gotten so like a sucker she convinced me to buy a cleanser and toner from the Elemis range. I've never spent so much on my make-up removal routine but I said feck it, I'd indulge once and see did it help because my skin really is parched at the moment. I'm yet to open them though cos I want to use up other stuff first, but hopefully I'll notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

also i could recommend almond oil :) just put some on wet cotton pad and clean your face with it. but like i said i prefer eau micellaire. put it on cotton pad. it takes off all impurities, mascara, everything. and after you don´t have nothing more to clean

I would think that this would only suit very dry skin. I tend to get breakouts with a lot of product but non as bad as when I once tried a similar oil on recommendation. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Hi,

When it comes to the question of removing your make-up at the end of the day everybody's opinions differ to what it should be.
    What is the best way?
    1. Cleanser and toner
    2. Face cloth and hot water
    3. Face wipes

Hot water may lead to broken veins. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aod113

I always double cleanse in the evenings.
    1. Clairns cream cleanser with cotton wool.
    2. Eye make up remover
    3. Clairns foaming cleanser to remove trace make up and actually clean my skin
    4. Serum, eye cream and moisturiser.

LOVE a clean face before bed- even after a night out :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Caraville wrote: »
    God I can't believe the amount of people who use the wipes considering any beautician or make up artist would tell you how bad they are for your skin! :eek:

I know, I'm amazed myself. They are really, really not meant for everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Surprised no-one has mentioned using vaseline to remove eye make-up. It keeps the eyelashes supple and is gentle on the skin around the eyes which gets dragged when taking off mascara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I know, I'm amazed myself. They are really, really not meant for everyday use.

Say what???:eek:
    I just use them on my nose and chin mostly and they get the oiliest:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Sorry for bumping but I just had to thank you all for shaking me out of my daily cleansing wipes routine!

Encouraged (and by "encouraged" I mean "scared witless") by the discussion here about the evils of the wipes, I went out and picked up some Clinique Take The Day Off on the recommendation of a friend, and I'm a complete convert! It does a great job even on my mascara, it feels so silky and doesn't irritate my skin at all. I don't even feel like I need to moisturise afterwards - though I probably should, right? I'll deal with one beauty habit at a time!

Anyway, thanks again, everyone - I have seen the light! ;)

Advertisement