Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imma gonna be an Emo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I wish to do this. How do I get to do this?

I went out with Damo and some other lads that race that train in ECB. They are coming up to competitive season soon so won't have time for babysitting people like me for awhile but the next time they are free I'll ask them can I bring up another newb with self destruction tendencies.

If you sourced a bike though you could go out yourself. They said next time they'd bring me out to somewhere a bit more cross country to get more practice in. Unlikely to kill yourself doing that. Going downhill without ever being on a bike like that before probably wasn't the smartest idea.

Monday 23rd April

Split Snatch
    3x3@40kg
    2x2@50kg
    2x1@60kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    2x1@70kg
    1@80kg

Back Squat
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    4x3@80kg

SL RDLs
    3x6@20kg

Still a bit tender after Saturday so easy session. Plus the plan is to max on Wednesday. Hopefully I'm good to go then.

Wednesday 26th April

This day shall forever be known now as Sad Wednesday

Snatched 75kg, missed 77kg 3 times.

C&J 90kg, failed 95kg twice. This was particular depressing.

I was very sad.

Friday 28th April

Split Snatch
    warmups
    1@70kg
    1@75kg
    1@77kg mutha****in' power split yo
    1@79kg 1kg pb took 4 attempts!

Powerclean & Jerk
    warmups
    1@90kg
    1@95kg
    1xf@98kg landed in full clean, and yeah I wasn' t gonna squat it
    1@98kg

Back Squat
    warmups
    1@110kg
    1@115kg
    1@120kg equal pb

Yeah I still hadn't recovered from my downhill bi-cycling al most killing myself expedition there on Wednesday so that's why I was so bad then. If I had a bad session tonight as well I would have topped myself so I went for broke and had 2x double shot coffees in the hour before the gym then drank 2 cans of monster while in the gym. High as a kite.

Felt really good on the split snatches. I pretty much power'd 77kg. I also just about powerer'd my first 79kg attempt also but my foot work was off and I was off balance and dropped it. I started to tire then and wasn't pulling them as high but my technique was improving at the same rate so I took 4 attempts where usually I'd call it quits after 3. Only 1kg but happy to get it. At least I've cut out the middle man now and I can just go and get 80kg.

Was starting to lose stamina by clean and jerks but I'll take the 98kg even though it's 3kg off pb.

I was tiring on the squats also so v.happy to equal the pb. I'll be going for this again next Friday and expect to pb then.

Monday 30th April

Hmm some devious mod changed my log title. I'm not emo. I'm just constantly disappointed in myself :rolleyes:

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg
    2x2@60kg
    1@65kg
    1@70kg
    3x3@55kg

Clean Pulls
    4@90kg
    2x4@100kg
    3@105kg
    3@110kg

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    3@70kg
    3@80kg
    3@90kg
    3@100kg
    3@102kg
    3@104kg
    3@106kg
    2@108kg failed the last one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjC1r72hYgQ

Bulgarian Squats
    3x6@40kg

SL RDLs
    3x6@26kg I've such a girl grip. I could barely hold on to these the whole set

Bit sluggish after Friday night maxing and letting sleeping patterns go awry over the weekend. I guess I shouldn't have drank all that caffeine :(

T'was an alright session though once I got into it. The 70kg split snatch was piss. Something clicked during the max session. I'm better off just powering the bejaysis out of it and catching it a few inches above full depth. I'm a lot more stable in that position than trying to land it in the bottom.

I'm a bit annoyed about failing the 108kg squat set. I would have liked to have had a shot at 110kg. Even if I didn't make that set I would have been happy to get reps in at 110kg for the first time. My lower back is a bit sore now because I lost my chest/thoracic and what not on the fail. That's how I always fail squats unless I completely pussy out at the bottom. I'm working on it though I've improved with weights in the <95% effort region. I'll never fully cure it though. I'm too old, broken and non-functional for that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

I liked that post because of the emo dissapointed thing but unliked it again because of the squat. I make frowny face. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I'm on the way to training and i have the sadness already.

Pre-fatiguing emo for elite levels of unhappy.

Paudee wrote: »
    I'm on the way to training and i have the sadness already.

Pre-fatiguing emo for elite levels of unhappy.

The Emo-King is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Ah jeeeez

funny-pictures-emo-fish.jpg

Wednesday 2nd May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg
    2x2@60kg
    1@65kg
    1@70kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x2@85kg
    2@90kg
    1@95kg

Lunges
    6 steps forward, 6 steps back
    1x40kg
    4x50kg

Snatch Pulls
    3@70kg
    2@80kg

Nope!

Press
    5@40kg
    5@50kg
    5@52kg
    5@54kg
    5@56kg
    3@58kg

Me bloody back is pretty sore after the failed squat on Monday. I can't even fail a squat properly. FML etc..

Didn't bother me much on the split snatches but kicked in on the powercleans. Happy to make all the reps with that. Lunges didn't affect it. I thought I'd suffer through the snatch pulls but nope not a chance so I dropped those.

Hopefully it's cleared up enough to 1RM Back squat on Friday. Stoopid back. Reminds me of the last time I deadlifted. I hate deadlifts.

• Advertisement

Friday 5th May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    1x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg
    2x2@60kg
    1@65kg
    1@70kg
    1@75kg sneaky knee touch
    3x2@60kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x2@85kg
    2@90kg
    1@95kg most solid powerclean I've done this year

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    3@70kg
    3@80kg
    2@90kg
    1@100kg
    1@110kg
    1xf@116kg the humanity

Power Jerks
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    3@80kg
    3@82kg
    3@84kg
    3@84kg
    3@86kg
    ---
    1@90kg

A few of these turned pressy

Pendlay Rows
    4x8@60kg

Competition lifts went well. 75/97kg will probably be my openers. I'm doing them on Monday. The few recovery pints of Guinness I had will surely help nail them.

My legs were very heavy after mon/wed so squats were a non event. Some Power jerks then. I've got pretty good technique on these but a few of them turned pressy because of the lack of juice in me pins. I really don't know how I ended up in a strength sport when my legs are so completely useless.

Monday 8th May

Openers

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    2x2@60kg
    2x1@65kg
    2x1@70kg
    1xf@75kg herp derp, lost hook grip somehow and bar went flinging off my hips
    2x1@75kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2@80kg
    1@85kg
    1@90kg
    1@94kg
    1@97kg

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    5@70kg
    3@80kg
    2@90kg
    1@100kg

That went pretty well. Split snatch has really clicked the last two weeks and 75kg is no bother at all now. Powerclean & jerk was a bit wobbly at 97kg but it felt strong enough so happy with that too. More often than not I actually fail my openers the Monday before competition so looking good.

Did just about every banded stretch I know then since the weightlifting part was over with quick enough. I generally cram Kelly Starrett stuff the week before a competition with all the extra free time. Felt nice and loose afterwards. I al most felt like full snatching again.

Wednesday 10th May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    2@60kg
    2x1@65kg
    1@70kg

Powerclean & Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    2@70kg
    3x1@80kg

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    3@70kg
    3@80kg
    2@90kg
    3x1@100kg

Now we wait

token wrote: »
    Now we wait

A watched quad never grows ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Token I read your latest issue of Flex you gave me last night, there's hardly any info about how to cut before a comp in it, particularly for weightlifting. :(

Maybe you could share your secrets with us on here? How do you continually maintain your slimline physique? :confused:

Frogdog wrote: »
    Token I read your latest issue of Flex you gave me last night, there's hardly any info about how to cut before a comp in it, particularly for weightlifting. :(

Maybe you could share your secrets with us on here? How do you continually maintain your slimline physique? :confused:

He learned everything he knows about weightlifting from supermodels.

supposedly wrote: »
    He learned everything he knows about weightlifting from supermodels.

In the week lead up I don't eat anything and just do lines of cocaine to maintain my energy levels. If I still need lose a little bit on 'game day' I'll use the two finger trick. Trust me I'm a professional.

In the week lead up I don't eat anything and just do lines of cocaine to maintain my energy levels. If I still need lose a little bit on 'game day' I'll use the two finger trick. Trust me I'm a professional.

I just ate a jaffa cake :(

Supers here i come.

Paudee wrote: »
    I just ate a jaffa cake :(

Supers here i come.

Don't worry, you'll cry those calories out your eyes.

Friday 11th May

I took the day off work to de-stress and conserve energy. I got bored of sitting around though so I popped down the gym in the evening.

Weighin: 76.8kg

I had started cutting water but since I was already under I quenched my thirst up to 77.2kg. I'm off the liquids again now. If I feel light in the morning I'll have 2-3 eggs first thing before the drive up to Belfast. I should really invest in a weighing scales.

I did about 20 minutes of dynamic stretching, bar work and rolling and then sat around critiquing other people for another hour :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Friday 11th May

I took the day off work to de-stress and conserve energy. I got bored of sitting around though so I popped down the gym in the evening.

Weighin: 76.8kg

I had started cutting water but since I was already under I quenched my thirst up to 77.2kg. I'm off the liquids again now. If I feel light in the morning I'll have 2-3 eggs first thing before the drive up to Belfast. I should really invest in a weighing scales.

I did about 20 minutes of dynamic stretching, bar work and rolling and then sat around critiquing other people for another hour :rolleyes:

just like the pro's.

i always feel light, but i am not light. i wouldnt rely on this methood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Best of luck tomorrow.

Nice work on the max effort sit down session this evening. Looked tough.

You were more productive than frog dog who took 45 mins to even change....

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Best of luck tomorrow.

Nice work on the max effort sit down session this evening. Looked tough.

You were more productive than frog dog who took 45 mins to even change....

You can't rush a good thing!

2012 Seniors

Weighin: 75.1kg

Snatch
    75,79x,80x

Clean & Jerk
    97,100x,100

I won't lie I'm a bit emo. I should have got the 2nd snatch but I tried to stand up too soon without stabilising the weight first and ended up dropping it. Left the 80kg a touch out in front then.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/542346_361522137245085_153075004756467_12986525_1140533670_n.jpg

That's what a touch out in front looks like. The photo should also be in black & white.

I caught my 2nd powerclean in a full clean. Sat around at the bottom for a second or two thinking would I try squat it. People were shouting at me to squat it. I decided it was pointless and dumped it without trying. I'm so weak.

Getting the last one stopped me from going full bore emo. It's not a PB and below what I wanted but it's still nice to lift the ton.

I'm statistically due a good competition now at leinsters after a string of lack lustre ones in a row. I was a bit unstable with the split snatches on the day but another training cycle should sort that. I'm starting on the split clean also once I start back training /optimistic_emo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I think you should get a difficulty score like gymnastics for trying the split. 5 extra points = 80 kg. You should have brought it up at the AGM.

The split does looks cool.

I seen that photo earlier and could have sworn it was black and white.

Tried it today, looked mental, nearly broke my knee off the floor with 90kg.

Is hard!

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I think you should get a difficulty score like gymnastics for trying the split. 5 extra points = 80 kg. You should have brought it up at the AGM.

I shall get the new director of hate on the job! There has to be a few smugness points going for it.
    Paudee wrote:
    Tried it today, looked mental, nearly broke my knee off the floor with 90kg.

Is hard!

Yeah that's the only reason I have for wearing the knee sleeves nowadays really. I was constantly hitting my knee when learning the lift.

The split clean better work out otherwise I'll never get up to 110kg. I would be very sad then.

Wednesday 16th May

I wasn't in the mood at all for training tonight but I wasn't in the mood for doing nothing either. So I went down and basically f*cked around for a while.

Powersnatch
    Up to 70kg, with a questionable 72kg and failed 74kg.

Split Clean
    Mucking about with Split clean for the first time. Went up to a few doubles @ 80kg.

Rack Jerk
    Up to 105kg

Back Squats
    Up to 5@90kg and couldn't be bothered doing any more. Hadn't eaten for hours and hours.

The split clean was v.weird at first I tried a few deep catches but that's just not gonna work. I can't maintain my upper back position if I do that. They were alright when I power splitted. I'll be able to lift more than I powerclean alright but not by any huge amount. I'll see how it goes anyway from next week when I get some instruction on them.

I'll get serious again from Monday and really try push the strength stuff this cycle ahead of Leinsters. No gradually building up just push it right from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Wednesday 16th May

I wasn't in the mood at all for training tonight but I wasn't in the mood for doing nothing either. So I went down and basically f*cked around for a while.

Powersnatch
    Up to 70kg, with a questionable 72kg and failed 74kg.

Split Clean
    Mucking about with Split clean for the first time. Went up to a few doubles @ 80kg.

Rack Jerk
    Up to 105kg

Back Squats
    Up to 5@90kg and couldn't be bothered doing any more. Hadn't eaten for hours and hours.

The split clean was v.weird at first I tried a few deep catches but that's just not gonna work. I can't maintain my upper back position if I do that. They were alright when I power splitted. I'll be able to lift more than I powerclean alright but not by any huge amount. I'll see how it goes anyway from next week when I get some instruction on them.

I'll get serious again from Monday and really try push the strength stuff this cycle ahead of Leinsters. No gradually building up just push it right from the start.

love it, good luck with it

• Advertisement

Monday 21st May

Hmm, I somehow managed to tweak something in my lower back while bending down to get something out of the bottom tray of my fridge there on Saturday. F*ck sake like. I must be getting old or something. I can feel it on the bottom of my right spinal erector and am restricted when i get to parallel in a squat.

It wasn't too bad though after I warmed up but I still wasn't going to do anything serious. It's not major so I won't be getting it looked at. I picked up some anti-inflammatories and am knocking them back as well as applying heat and doing a spot of stretching with anything that targets the area.

All going to plan a medium session on Wednesday, a relatively heavy session on Friday and back to new program on Monday.

Split Squats
    5x5@40kg

RDL
    2x6@40kg
    3x6@50kg

Press
    2x5@40kg
    3x5@50kg

Pendlay row
    6@40kg
    3x6@50kg

I wouldn't have been able for a proper session anyway. The sweat was pumping out of me from hoochin' at the weekend.

Advertisement