Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

seanp_25 wrote: »
    RTE TWO HD is included on the online Sky TV Guide now: http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/0

But it seems to flag everything as HD. Is it like this on Sky HD boxes too?

Nope - They flag HD content properly on my sky+hd box (am running a beta epg tho). The rte2 hd dog tag is always on the screen though and rte have no plans to change that even when showing SD up scaled content

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Mine disappeared over the last few days. Its on the EPG and is still in the other channels but I'm just getting the 'upgrade your subscription to receive this HD channel' now.

What happened?

mark_79 wrote: »
    Mine disappeared over the last few days. Its on the EPG and is still in the other channels but I'm just getting the 'upgrade your subscription to receive this HD channel' now.

What happened?

Do you have a HD sub? You need one now. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

marno21 wrote: »
    RTE Two HD on Saorview is VBR between 2.0 and around 9.2Mbit and is statmuxed with the other channels. The last night it was running pretty much all the time during the match at 9.0Mbit, peaking at 9.2 and dropping during any still scenes.

RTE Two HD on Sky is CBR at 12.0Mbit, but remember there is more picture to encode on Sky (1920x1080, vs 1440x1080). Therefore the bits per pixel is around the same, Sky picture has 1/3 more bitrate and 1/3 more pixels to encode.

It doesn't have more 'pixels' to encode exactly as both are block based encoding schemes and without knowing the block sizes we can't say that. Sky could have exactly the same number of blocks per frame as Saorview, so any extra bitrate is all extra quality.

Based on what I'm seeing I'd say that. Consistently the picture in Sky is better, with more detail, even on static images. On sports Saorview is noticeably more blurry especially during motion when it can really struggle and there is a noticeable sharpening of the image as soon as the motion stops and the statmux and encoders all catch up.

Sky meanwhile is a constant quality, constant bit rate solution, running at higher than BBCs HD bit rates, if not quite up there with Skys.

The benefit of the Saorview solution is the saving of bandwidth and still getting ok quality. Whereas Sky is all about getting quality.

However why spend a fortune on HD equipment, studios, rights etc and then save a small proportion of it a year by crippling the transmission and making Saorview the lowest quality solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Karsini wrote: »
    Do you have a HD sub? You need one now. :(

I was told its free the same as BBC HD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Doylers wrote: »
    I was told its free the same as BBC HD.

It's on the HD pack which sets you back an extra 15 quid on top of your sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Manc-Red wrote: »

The HD pack is only £10 extra.

No RTE channels are free to air in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

HD Pack is €15 in ROI, £10 in NI/UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

Manc-Red wrote: »

major downer that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

emo72 wrote: »
    major downer that:(

yep - it is indeed. I have the HD sub and RTE 2 HD but I do think it should be free to air.

Now, when will the remaining irish channels go HD? At this stage, IMO, there should not be any channels that are not available in HD

• Advertisement

yep - it is indeed. I have the HD sub and RTE 2 HD but I do think it should be free to air.

Now, when will the remaining irish channels go HD? At this stage, IMO, there should not be any channels that are not available in HD

It is free to air via a soarview box :D. RTE 2 HD is a big selling point for saorview so they are trying to get people to get their equipment. I can understand why rte are doing it although I think it shouldn't need a HD pack on the sky platform.

It will probably be available on the sky+hd box without a hd sub once saorview sales have peaked.

but I do think it should be free to air.

Careful now. :D

It can't be free to air at 28.2 Degrees East.

Careful now. :D

It can't be free to air at 28.2 Degrees East.

Nope as in it will never happen :P - RTE would have to pay for show/programming rights for 70+ million people....I think the RTE piggy bank is already well and truly drained by now :P

Nope as in it will never happen :P - RTE would have to pay for show/programming rights for 70+ million people....I think the RTE piggy bank is already well and truly drained by now :P

Yawn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Especially that now Ireland has its very own totally Free To Air spot on 9E Ka band. Better elevation and no Pay Platform middle man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Euro here in Dublin my man Wabbit...

RTE too can be viewed for free in many parts of the North.

watty wrote: »
    Especially that now Ireland has its very own totally Free To Air spot on 9E Ka band. Better elevation and no Pay Platform middle man.

Fair point indeed - do ye ever think it could develope into something more than saorview backup/copy? Don't twoway and onwave use the same hotspot for their sat internet? And will it ever be possible to have one dish with two different lnbs feeding 9e and 28.2e into sat box with no real issue? (will save a few bob since ye wouldnt need an outdoor ariel as well as a dish)

Euro here in Dublin my man Wabbit...

Euros aren't quids, at least they aren't up here.
    RTE too can be viewed for free in many parts of the North

But not at 28.2 degrees east.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Euros aren't quids, at least they aren't up here.

The use of the "quid" carried over from the days of the punt. I know of a lot of people that use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

speaking of euros, i was hoping this channel would be free to air for us in the 'public, cos we could watch dunphy et al in glorious HD. wouldnt that be awesome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The use of the "quid" carried over from the days of the punt. I know of a lot of people that use it.

Incidentally, nobody ever called it 'punt' before the euro came in. Except the BBC.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

emo72 wrote: »
    speaking of euros, i was hoping this channel would be free to air for us in the 'public, cos we could watch dunphy et al in glorious HD. wouldnt that be awesome?

We dont have to worry about that yet since the rte dnnybrook studios are still broadcasting in SD :p:p:p

Well, you learn something new every day then.

To be nonest, I'd never heard it being called a quid but there you go.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Incidentally, nobody ever called it 'punt' before the euro came in. Except the BBC.

They did up here, BBC or not.

When going across the border we always had to get our "punts", although sterling was accepted.

Don't forget, ROI money was also acceptable currency in the north until the ROI broke the link with Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

You would have had a reason 'up there' to differentiate between the two different types of pounds. 'Down here' it was pounds (or in Dublinese, just 'pound', like officially it's 'euro' not 'euros'. 'Dat cost me ten powend' etc. :) )

I remember before the split you used to often find sterling coins in change here. That stopped quick enough after the break with sterling as people hoarded UK coins.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

ninja900 wrote: »
    You would have had a reason 'up there' to differentiate between the two different types of pounds. 'Down here' it was pounds (or in Dublinese, just 'pound', like officially it's 'euro' not 'euros'. 'Dat cost me ten powend' etc. :) )

I remember before the split you used to often find sterling coins in change here. That stopped quick enough after the break with sterling as people hoarded UK coins.

Yep, those were the days Ninja.

A good 50% of change up here was ROI money before the link was broken.

I think my parents still still have some of the old ROI coins that we collected, both pre and post decimalisation. Like UK money, some of them were worth more than their face value !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭zg3409

Fair point indeed - do ye ever think it could develope into something more than saorview backup/copy? Don't twoway and onwave use the same hotspot for their sat internet? And will it ever be possible to have one dish with two different lnbs feeding 9e and 28.2e into sat box with no real issue? (will save a few bob since ye wouldnt need an outdoor ariel as well as a dish)

This can be done and is being done by people at the moment. Refer to the Saorsat thread. Kits are available on eBay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Take the currency discussion elsewhere please...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Sorry if it's been asked already. Can you get this in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Prowetod wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked already. Can you get this in the UK?

Only in Northern Ireland

Advertisement