Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car ownership transfer

• 19-02-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

What is required from buyer and seller regarding papers to properly get car transferred?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

if you are selling, get buyer to fill in his/her details on the back of the registration cert, post it to dept of environment in shannon yourself and tick change of ownership box.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

I am buying, so what do I need to do to insure that car is mine, once I give money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you hand over the documents ie RF2 forms and tax/registration books etc to the buyer of your vehicle you are in danger of him/her driving the car around still in your name, you will be liable for all the parking fines and speeding tickets. Its up to the seller to post on the documents immediatly after sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Would be nice to have a Sticky about this.
    Mods?
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Additional question...car is one year old, is there any other checks then motor checks to see if the car was in accidents or if there is something wrong with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    I am buying, so what do I need to do to insure that car is mine, once I give money?

The onus is on the seller to register the change of ownership with the DOE (see here). So they will probably not give you the registration (unless they are ignorant of this fact or don't care).

So, you could fill in your details and then accompany them to the Post Office to ensure that they send off the doc (probably overkill as I don't see why they wouldn't they post them, other than laziness). And possibly request a receipt?

If they are made aware that the tax and penalty point liabilities rest with them that should do the trick I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    Additional question...car is one year old, is there any other checks then motor checks to see if the car was in accidents or if there is something wrong with it?

Contact the AA or Cartell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Redsoxfan wrote: »

So, you could fill in your details and then accompany them to the Post Office to ensure that they send off the doc (probably overkill as I don't see why they wouldn't they post them, other than laziness). And possibly request a receipt?

Don't underestimate this. I would bring a stamped addressed envelope addressed to shannon and go to the postbox with them. They also could lose the doc after selling the car, causing all sorts of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I was adviced once here, to make sure to take a receipt from the seller, stating that he took the money and gave you a car. Receipt should contain his name, address, car vin no, registation no, etc, and ofcourse his signature. This can prevent any trouble, in case the seller wanted to cheat you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hi,

I'm closing this thread as it's over 2 years old as per the Charter.

Chris

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement