Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I enjoyed it, I am a fan of Gervais, Merchant and above all Pilkington though...

It was a window into the highs and lows of the under appreciated people in society! It showed how tender and decent people can be. It also showed how cruel life can be to innocent people. "chavs down the pub"

It's not a comedy really but Karl in his first acting role stole the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

I enjoyed it too.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    It's not a comedy really but Karl in his first acting role stole the show...

I thought Karl was playing the exact same character he plays in An Innocent Abroad. Different name and with a hair piece of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Am I a cynic, or did Gervais write this show especially to fend off the criticism he received for pulling 'mong' faces on Twitter?

You're a cynic. He was filming the show already when that happened or was filming a week or two after. I remember him posting pictures from the set on Twitter soon after he joined.

I don't follow him any more on Twitter, he became insufferable when Life's Too Short was airing, and I wasn't a fan of that show, but in fairness Derek was very good. When he wants to he can create fairly effective little dramatic moments, that seem pretty heartfelt. You just have to look at the Office to see that, especially the Christmas special. I think Derek was him exploring that side again. Don't think it was a cynical ploy, or at least not for the reasons you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Hamster on a piano, hamster on a piano.. HE CATCHES HIM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Really wasnt expecting much with this thinking it was another out and out comedy but it was absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

NotorietyH wrote: »
    You're a cynic. He was filming the show already when that happened or was filming a week or two after. I remember him posting pictures from the set on Twitter soon after he joined.
    The character of Derek has been around much longer than that..

.. he made a short movie revolving around Derek in 2001. It was on YouTube up until recently too, but can't find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He's really, really onto something here. I think this could be his 'Forrest Gump', and when he proves he's not just a one-trick pony in terms of characters he plays. And given how much time he's taken to flesh this out, it shows how careful he's being with it to get it right. I'm looking forward to more.

'Derek' was just Gervais pulling his mong face ('cos he ain't no Daniel Day Lewis) with Karl Pilkington stealing the show from under his pretentious arse.

And rightly so. Go Karl!

I get the feeling this might go over peoples heads with a lot of people left wondering why the "retard" wasnt funnier after seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

leggo wrote: »
    He's really, really onto something here. I think this could be his 'Forrest Gump', and when he proves he's not just a one-trick pony in terms of characters he plays. And given how much time he's taken to flesh this out, it shows how careful he's being with it to get it right. I'm looking forward to more.

He might not be a one trick pony with the characters he plays but he's getting that way with the format of his shows. Mockumentary again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched this on 4od, how did they fit so much into 24 mins, hope to see more of this, didn't really laugh but didn't see it as a comedy really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I felt nothing for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

2 things i think that could make the show better -

1. Not to have Gervais
    2. Not to have Karl

Karl is just distracting and being himself and the same for Gervais.

The woman, Kerry Godliman, stole the show i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I thought this was good, if a little rushed. I couldn't really buy Gervais or Pilkington's characters but I enjoyed the concept. Would like to see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Was waiting for that. Show about a disabled person, cue outraged parents ranting in rags.

"I know what its really like, my son is disabled, this is vile and cynical" "PS, pick up my book in all good book stores"
    "Dont forget to buy next weeks daily mail to read the true story of "Derek" the disabled kid who lives in a bin"

Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Gerty wrote: »
    2 things i think that could make the show better -

1. Not to have Gervais
    2. Not to have Karl

Karl is just distracting and being himself and the same for Gervais.

The woman, Kerry Godliman, stole the show i thought.

This 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I do agree that it's obvious gervais wrote this show cynically ...however the guy complaining clearly hasn't seen the show

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I do agree that it's obvious gervais wrote this show cynically ...however the guy complaining clearly hasn't seen the show

Agreed. It was telling that Channel 4 billed 'Derek' as a 'comedy-drama', as if to forewarn the audience that it wouldn't be one big belly laugh.

That said, it was good to see Gervais actually giving the characters emotion and depth like 'The Office'. And I wouldn't say Pilkington was 'acting', simply his 'An Idiot Abroad' schtick with comedy hair (his own?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Wow that was cringe worthy... why on earth is he still doing this mockumentary schtick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Giruilla wrote: »
    Wow that was cringe worthy... why on earth is he still doing this mockumentary schtick!!

one trick pony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just watched this now and thought it was pretty good. The ending was really well done. There were a few times that were trying too hard to be funny(
    like falling in the pond
    ), but they don't last too long and are easily ignored.

For the most part, it feels more natural than his other shows. Probably because it's not desperately trying to be funny all the time, and lets the characters come across as more sympathetic and real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just watched this now not knowing what to expect.
    A really enjoyable and moving 25 minutes TV, the second half in particular was an absolute gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

humanji wrote: »
    For the most part, it feels more natural than his other shows. Probably because it's not desperately trying to be funny all the time, and lets the characters come across as more sympathetic and real.
    More natural than The Office? Gerrup outta that!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Karl Pilkington is the best part of the show

No suprise but..
    Ricky Gervais's controversial comedy Derek has been given a full series commission by Channel 4.

Based around the character of Derek Noakes (Gervais), the sitcom follows a "group of outsiders" who work at a retirement home. It stars Gervais's friend and Idiot Abroad star Karl Pilkington as the home's caretaker Dougie.

Noakes is a middle-aged "tender, innocent man", who has a passion for YouTube, Deal or No Deal and animals. The pilot episode focussed on Noake's relationship with care home worker Hannah (Kerry Godliman) and the death of one of the home's residents.

Derek will air a full series in 2013.

The series was considered controversial by some viewers, who claimed that despite Gervais's insistence otherwise, the Noakes character was mocking the disabled.
    Source: DS

Looking forward to more.. I really liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Basq wrote: »
    No suprise but..

Source: DS

Looking forward to more.. I really liked it!

I actually liked it too, apart from Derek falling in the pond then running naked. Hopefully a full series will help pace it out a bit more and resolve the need for stuff like that in each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Delighted to see this got the go ahead. I think it will give a realistic account of someone trying to get through life with this condition. I would find the likes of Forest Gump allot more objectionable than what Gervais is doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just saw an ad for this, series starting 30th on Jan

Yep, can't wait for this!

Watched this making of last night.. hilarious - especially if you're a Pilkington fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Getting great reviews

Advertisement