Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Broadband router

• 21-09-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi, advice needed here!

I have BB with 3 thru the National BB scheme, costs €20pm and I get up to 4.5 mbs download and 1.5 up via a Huawei B260a router.
    My pc is connected via cable.
    Wifi is weak to laptop in the next room.

Here is my q; can i get a different router which will accept my sim and has more ports for pc, xbox, voip phone?
    If so which one?

Or do I have to connect the 3 router to another one?

Would an external aerial improve connection?
    Also which voip phone would you go for?
    What type of wifi dongle would be suitable for pc?

Thanks all.
    James

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In general you're better off with going with a seperate router for wifi etc. For the PC you should get a wireless card if you don't want to go with a dongle but I've got bade experience with dongles in general so someone else might give you a better answer on that one :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

next Q is how do I connect my Huawei B260a router to the new router?
    is it via network cable?
    also how does a voip phone connect to the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do not buy Belkin networking products. Cheap, nasty and crap.

Before wasting money on a new router, try to find out why the wireless signal is so poor with the current setup. This can be caused by interference, low quality hardware (router and receiver), distance, the materials in the walls, etc.

A new router is not an instant fix, nor is it guaranteed to work. A separate router and modem may not be any different to the combined modem and router.

• Advertisement

here is what I think i need;

connect pc to router,
    also laptop
    also XBox, preferably via cable
    also Voip phone.

Problem is 3 router only has 1 network port and 1 phone port.

Can someone spell it out for me, Im not too up on network stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

jamesbil wrote: »
    here is what I think i need;

connect pc to router,
    also laptop
    also XBox, preferably via cable
    also Voip phone.

Problem is 3 router only has 1 network port and 1 phone port.

Can someone spell it out for me, Im not too up on network stuff.

I think I did but you weren't watching ;)

One good reason not to cross post.

Thanks for that, I`m never sure which section will get the most replys!

have tried a netgear usb wifi dongle and while speed remains good, there seems to be alot more jitter, would a wifi adapter be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

The WiFi dongle you use shouldn't make much difference because potentially the WiFi is much faster than the 3G connection, but that doesn't mean a different adaptor with different drivers won't work a bit better so no harm trying. A WiFi dongle has the advantage you can easily stick it on an extension cable to get the best signal, a built in card in a Desktop PC might have the antenna in a less than ideal location. I've found time and time again the built in WiFi adaptors in most laptops far superior to dongles and cards - due I suspect to the way the built in antenna is set up.

If you are refering to VOIP jitter then that might be a factor of the network (3) that you are using and why I said you were on your own getting it to work :D but it can work OK just depends on too many variables inculding the number of other uses connecting in your cell to be guaranteed. Its the sort of thing you could find OK one day and is unsable the next.

great info, thanks.
    was looking at a pc wifi card with a antenna on a lead, £12 from 7dayshop. cheap enough to try.

the voip jitter fluctuates between 11 and 22 when pluged in and goes up to 35+ using wifi dongle.

so far voip has been good over pc with a head set with any poor quality put down to the 2 quid head set.
    looks like a voip phone could end up being an expensive "try and see".

• Advertisement

just tried moving the router to where the xbox is to plug it in, and using the dongle in the pc, getting a whopping 177kps download!!!

Advertisement