Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

hi,
    can anyone please help? ive been through so many sites to try to sort this.
    anyway, when i connect my blackberry playbook to my laptop via usb, it says it is connected at the bottom right of the screen, and then after a few mins, an error comes saying 'an error occured mounting blackberry volumes. please reconnect your device. (E:0x35)'

it is a nightmare and it seems that there are many people with the same issue. i can see posts on certain websites that give solutions, and some people have said that that particular solution has solved it, but i've tried them all, and had no joy.
    my blackberry desktop software(which is the most recent version) doesnt show a connection at all
    i am running off windows 7 64bit
    solutions i've tried are

rebooting playbook
    turning off wifi
    changing TCP/IP NetBIOS
    client for mcrosoft networks

and many other things i just cant think of at the minute.

hope someone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have you tried different USB ports?
    Uninstall Desktop software and reinstall it and test again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Newimperial

Well Blackberry No2 has died on me. This time the OS seems to have been the culprit. The problem I pressed the power button, the playbook is shutting down message was displayed so I put it in the press. Came back to use it again after an hour or so, guess what the Playbook message was still on the screen. There's another message behind that warning battery at 1%. Anyhow got a refund today from PC World.
    Now the thing is that I have got used to the convenience of having a tablet. I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy. It's more expensive and has less memory but its overall smaller though the screen is the same. Anyone know if there are any good?

Well Blackberry No2 has died on me. This time the OS seems to have been the culprit. The problem I pressed the power button, the playbook is shutting down message was displayed so I put it in the press. Came back to use it again after an hour or so, guess what the Playbook message was still on the screen. There's another message behind that warning battery at 1%. Anyhow got a refund today from PC World.
    Now the thing is that I have got used to the convenience of having a tablet. I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy. It's more expensive and has less memory but its overall smaller though the screen is the same. Anyone know if there are any good?

Ask over in the android section.

PlayBook OS 2.1 officially released (OS v2.1.0.1032). Downloading now and will post thoughts later. If you've a BlackBerry smartphone dont forget to update your Bridge app to version 2.1.0.26.
    The update looks to include:

Allows PIM (Messages, Calendar, Contacts) to be viewed in portrait orientation

PIM - Deep Folder Hierarchy. Previously, if a customer had multiple nested folders within email

Allows for WiFi to be used for Bridge between 2 devices if they're on the same WiFi network

BlackBerry Bridge will now support viewing SMS messages on the PlayBook

Print to Go will now work across different networks

Android apps will now be run in separate windows instead of one window for every Android app

Android apps will now have the ability to use the PlayBook camera

A customer will now be able to make in-app payments within Android apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I don't know if this has already been posted or not..

Box are giving away 50GB free storage space to BlackBerry Owners. (And a few others) Up to New Years Eve.

It is Not Downgradeable, so you will have at least that 50GB free for Life.

https://support.box.com/entries/20768867-box-50-gb-promotion-faqs

Yes, that's been available for a while now. I prefer sugarsync. One great app for accessing most cloud services as well as playbook and blackberry smartphone memory is "files and Folders" in appworld for PlayBook. Excellent app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I use my playbook constantly. Its brilliant for watching films and tv shows on.
    I leave it under my pillow and its dead handy for browsing.

Lately ive figured out how to use magnet links with aTorrent so thats resolved the main problem i had whereby id need to download stuff on my laptop and transfer it. Now i havent used my laptop in a week.

I also have a developer account and a rooted android phone so i can convert android apks to bars easily. Of course, thats only needed when i cant get the bar online and install with localbar2 connected to the proxy app on my phone!

My missus also has a playbook and the video chat is top quality. The only downside is the lack of usb otg, expandable storage, and the terrible autocorrect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^Could you let me know how to use the atorrent? Would be very handy. I wouldn't really watch much on the tablet itself, but the quality when you connect it to the TV is fantastic.
    Lately I have been finding it great for researching for essays/assignments. And I have saved a lot of the pdf notes from lecturers on it rather than printing them out (saving me the 5c per sheet charge!) Hate reading things from a laptop but the size and portability of the playbook is great for this.

If you're not already using it then check out Print To Go which I find so handy for printing any file straight to the Playbook (turns the file into a pdf). Very handy indeed:

http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop/print-to-go.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks, I'll give that a go cookie.

Out of interest how do I save a PDF to it...?
    I received one in an e-mail and I opened it but I couldn't find a way to just save it to the PB.....

If you opened it it should be in the documents folder on the playbook

lindtee wrote: »
    ^^Could you let me know how to use the atorrent? Would be very handy. I wouldn't really watch much on the tablet itself, but the quality when you connect it to the TV is fantastic.
    Lately I have been finding it great for researching for essays/assignments. And I have saved a lot of the pdf notes from lecturers on it rather than printing them out (saving me the 5c per sheet charge!) Hate reading things from a laptop but the size and portability of the playbook is great for this.

I just sideloaded it.
    I can't remember if I got the BAR online or if I got the android APK and converted it, but ye, just side load it and ur sorted.
    TIP: Use the android browser to look for stuff to download, coz clicking magnet links on the PB browser wont launch the app.
    PS, its slow as hell!!! How RIM managed to make the read/write speeds of the PB so slow I'll never understand!

I like the dolphin browser on the playbook (works over bridge too). Very quick and highly customisable. I too dislike (borderline hate) the PB browser. I hope it'll be dramatically improved come BB10.

If you really want to us the PB browser only then turn off java script (although this doesn't help with some sights that need it) and it should noticeable speed up.

I used dolphin up until last night when i removed it. I found it slow as hell and the gesture for BACK didnt work so it made it pretty useless.
    In saying that, I was using it in conjunction with aTorrent, which slows the PB down to a crawl so maybe if i could get the gesture working, it might be usable.

Also, I find the stock PB browser to be pretty good. I cant find anything wrong with it. The only way they could improve it is to allow extensions like an ad-blocker.

Tried maxthon? I find PB browser too slow but yes an ad-blocker for any browser on PB would be great.

Never heard of Maxthon until now. Just looked it up and it looks pretty good. Is it a native app, yeah?

I'll download it tomorrow and have a play around with it.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Never heard of Maxthon until now. Just looked it up and it looks pretty good. Is it a native app, yeah?

I'll download it tomorrow and have a play around with it.

Maxthon have been making browsers for years. They ported the android app to the playbook. It's available here:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/98559/?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

slightly off topic but there is a good interview with the RIM CEO on the bbc new website
    link

• Im trying to download a nzb on my playbook, and then upload the nzb to SAB queue on another machine via the web interface.

But when I go to Add NZB > Choose file in the SAB interface, all I got is pictures, video, Music, Documents. There doesnt seem to be a download folder which is massively annoying.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Hi guys, fantastic deals on BB playbook at the moment, im looking for a tablet so I'm considering this. Big downside for me is that it doesnt have the google play store..the real reason i want a tablet is to download the app "filmon tv" which lets you stream tv for free..I've done a little but if research and it seems this app isnt on BB app world..can someone with a playbook give a quick search it and let me know whether or not its there? Cheers

I tried installing the Android version of FilmOn a few months ago. Since it uses Flash, you need to install the Android flash player as well.

However, as far as I can remember, it still didnt work. I'll try again with the updated version and see how it gets on.

EDIT: I just checked there with the latest Flash player for android, and the latest FilmOn app and it works. Its a bit flakey but works none the less.

Hi The_B_Man thanks for thats, I'm kinda torn at the minute whether to go with this for about €120 or to get a Playbook in Harvey Normans for about €180..Any advice?

There's tablet TV which allows you to watch TV from around the world:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/95507/

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/tablet-tv-706571/

You need foreign IP addresses but they're relatively easy to get

is that app actually any good? Have you tried it?
    What channels are available on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I had picked up the 64GB for my daughter in PC World to replace a HCL that I had bought in Abu Dahbi. While travelling through AUH this week I exchanged the HCL for a 32GB PlayBook.
    The 32GB is a smaller unit by a few mms, does anyone know if this is standard or regional? Just thinking about accessories for example.

I did not know there were any differences. Certainly they don't make accessories different so you should be fine.

There's a rumour that the next iteration of the playbook OS known as BB10 which will be the new OS on blackberry smartphones, may be released soon for the playbook. A netflix app is in reported to be in development for BB10 so it should then work on the playbook too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

Picked up Play Book today in PCWorld. Was looking for app's to install and found the following: http://goodereader.com/

Very good for getting android app's onto the Playbook.

Has taken me a while to get working. Java fecking around on windows 64 bit but now have Amazon Kindle, Skype etc all running on Play Book.

• Advertisement

Skype text messaging but not skype video.

Advertisement