Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a maximum weight a person can lift during their work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Just saw this ad on jobs ie .

• able to lift parcels up to 70 kgs

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1146926

Does HSA have any guidelines on how much weight one person can lift?

I read Manual Handling Guidance Documents but I cant find any info on the subject

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Workplace_Health/Manual_Handling/Manual_Handling_Guidance_Documents/

I'm just curious because I hear a lot of conflicting information about the topic.

Thank you for any info you may have:)

that would be a good weight,i know seed in 50kg bags are not suppose to be lifted manually alone,connollys in goresbridge have a robot for stacking these bags on a pallet,cement isnt in 50kg anymore probably due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I was told 25-30kg as a general but if i didn't feel comfortable to always seek help. There can't be a set weight as everyone is different. Know your limits, power zone etc and never over exert yourself. If you feel you can't lift it safely ask for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bend your knees, not your back ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I would think if lifting 70kg on a regular basis, a small lifting machine or similar should be provided, no one has to lift any particular weight if they find it difficult to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

No legal limit, but plenty of guidance:
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Occupational_Health/Guidance_on_the_Management_of_Manual_Handling_in_the_Workplace.html

25kg max recommended for males, 16kg max recommended for females.
    Guidance only though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

An more information on assesment here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg383.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its 15kg for females where I work, heavier than that, get 2 people / pallet truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

70 kg. seems to me to be far too excessive for the average person.

No one should lift anything that they are uncomfortable with. Shape and size of parcel are also defining factors. Yes as already has been said here............. bend your knees.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

70kg is an absurd weight to expect anyone to lift as part of their day-to-day duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

I think thats a typo. I remember seeing a job ad for a driver in UPS and it said 70 lbs. I remember converting it at the time to kgs because in my job at the time i was struggling to carry 40kgs.

70lbs = 31.75kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Maximum recommended weight for male at waist height is 25Kg, female is 16Kg.

Look at page 14 in this.

Remember, only you can decide what you can or can not lift.

Slunk wrote: »
    If you feel you can't lift it safely ask for help

Also ask for a risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 somebodude

many years ago, 1980s, a typical thing-to-lift was up to 60 Kg.
    heavier things called for sack-trolleys or 2 guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elliza

Use this as a guide
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Occupational_Health/Guidance_Manual_Handling.pdf
    page 19 gives a general guideline for the maximum weight women and men lift at the different position of the body however, every individual is different and you must assess the load before lifting it. As an employee you should have completed a manual handling course as it is a requirement under the safety, health and welfare at work act 2005, in this course you should have been given the training in how to lift correctly and how to assess a load. Regulation 69(c) of the safety, health and welfare at work general applications regulations 2007 requires a risk assessment to be carried out, if engineering or organisational controls are neccessary your employer must provide mechanical aids and also if possible change the workarea to reduce or avoid the need for manual handling.

Elliza wrote: »
    Use this as a guide
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Occupational_Health/Guidance_Manual_Handling.pdf
    page 19 gives a general guideline for the maximum weight women and men should lift at the different position of the body however, every individual is different and you must assess the load before lifting it. As an employee you should have completed a manual handling course as it is a requirement under the safety, health and welfare at work act 2005, in this course you should have been given the training in how to lift correctly and how to assess a load. Regulation 69(c) of the safety, health and welfare at work general applications regulations 2007 requires a risk assessment to be carried out, if engineering or organisational controls are neccessary your employer must provide mechanical aids and also if possible change the workarea to reduce or avoid the need for manual handling.

I believe these have been adopted from the Health & Safety Executive in the UK. It is important to remember that they are only RECOMMENDED weights.

Also, they only apply under certain conditions, e.g.
    • if a good grip cannot be obtained, the weights come down.
    • If you have to turn through 45deg or 90deg, the weights come down.
    • If the frequency of the operation increases, the weights may come down. (as stated on page 20)
    Bottom line is that it is up to each individual to decide what they can or cannot lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elliza

Yes that is correct they are only guidelines every individual is different, you must assess the lift prior to lifting and if you feel it is not safe do not lift it. the information on the size of the load the centre of gravity etc should also be given to you or displayed on the object under law.

Advertisement