Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I make a gingerbread house stick together?

• 29-01-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I bought a ginerbread house kit a few weeks ago. My fault for not checking in the box, but when I opened it I realised the instructions and a tree shape were missing. So I want to know how to stick the whole house together? Should I use egg white? Apricot Jam? Icing?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would use a fondent type substances or icing sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Icing sugar might be my best bet, plus it's white so it'll look like snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Egg white and icing sugar! Lightly beat the egg white until it turns white but is still very liquid, then add the icing sugar, keep whisking and adding sugar until the paste is nice and sticky. For very stubborn houses with complicated architecture use a piece of a cocktail stick to "skewer" parts together. The icing can be used to pipe on decorative squiggles or icicles hanging from the roof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did they not give you something to use? I had one a couple of years ago and I think there was a type of icing sugar or something in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Marzipan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So I ended up using very stiff icing sugar which makes a pretty good "cement". My pieces were a bit wonky, because the kit didn't have instructions I used a recipe for gingerbread biscuits from the Avoca Teatime book which is a bit unreliable so I had to make the dough really thin to cut out the shapes. The thiness made them a bit wonky so they didn't fit together as neatly as they ought to have. I had a second or two of gingerbread house before it collapsed, so now I just have prettily-decorated gingerbread slabs to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

What you want to do next time is to heat sugar until it melts. Its becomes molten lava like, but that sticks very well. Unfortunatley Ireland is a terrible country for construction right now, and Gingerbread houses are no exception. Mine stood for all of one day before collapsing in a damp heap. The missus makes them in Norway and they last one month or so. Need to break them with a hammer. The dampness in this country just means they go bad very quickly.

Advertisement