Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crock Pot Recipes?

• 03-11-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just bought myself a fabulouse looking piece of cooking ware - a Crock Pot!
    Only thing is...haven't a clue what to cook in it!
    It came with a recipe book but they're all american...and to be honest they're not really up my street.

I'm thinking more along the lines of hearty stews / caseroles etc..especially with the winter approaching!

Also i'd be wanting to bang all ingredients into it before I head out to work and have it ready by the time I get home.

It has two heat setting - low and high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.crockpot.com/recipescat.aspx?catid=6

Bean casseroles are ideal for that sort of thing.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I *love* my crockpot.

One of my favourite things to cook in it is a chilli, which I'll leave all day. The recipe below yields 4 very large or 6 large servings - your crockpot should be big enough to make enough for 12-16 servings though should you want to make that much.

You can play around with this recipe lots, this is the one I made last night to have today (I've used the Worcestershire sauce to add that sweetness you need in a chilli - but a little dark chocolate or mango chutney or brown sugar achieve the same end.)

1lb good lean minced beef
    2 garlic cloves
    100g mushrooms, finely chopped
    1-2 fresh chillis, finely chopped
    2 carrots, finely chopped or grated
    1-2 teaspoons chilli powder
    1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
    1-2 onions, chopped
    2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    2-3 tablespoons Lea & Perrins chilli and garlic sauce (available in any Tesco)
    Good splash Worcestershire sauce, to taste
    Salt and pepper
    A little beef stock - I used about 200ml
    1 small can tomato purée

Fry off your beef in a saucepan with the garlic and drain off the fat. Place the beef and all other ingredients into the crockpot, stir, and leave to cook on low for 8-10 hours. Amazing.

I also make the stew my mam used to make...chunks of delicious beef, sliced carrots, onions, mushrooms and potatoes cooked together with a packet of Knorr oxtail soup. Not a foodie's dream but my goodness it is hearty and delicious. :)

Another simple stew is to place chicken breasts, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and any other vegetable you fancy into the crockpot with some chicken stock, wine, fresh herbs and seasoning and allow the flavours to develop over the day. So simple, tasty and healthy.

Can I come round your place to eat? :)

Mik.

:) I've only just had my porridge and looking at all the above I'm already in the mood for a big ole stew!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

thanks folks. I'm going down to lidl now to get in a rake load of vegebles. and i'll try that chili out some night during the week.
    Made butternut squash soup in it yesterday - quern easy. .. just throw everything in and give it a few hours to cook...bobs yer uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's a crockpot?

Slow cooker, ask your ma!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used this recipe, it was very interesting as you not only had a casserole but also a side dish of cornbread to go with it.
    Truly a one pot meal.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/110674

DesF wrote: »
    What's a crockpot?

B00008KIWH.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

It's a very large pot that you plug in. I don't know if they're all like mine, but the one I own is built of the chrome/plastic exterior with a black removable, heavy ceramic deep-dish inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

actually mine looks like this one....
    http://www.boscovs.com/wcsstore/boscovs/images/store/product/images/057557523sc7600.jpg;pv98bc1114b449dfa2

I'm after breaking off one of the handles already! My own fault - i hit the lid off it, and seeing as its really heavy (ceramic??) it came straight off. Still though, probably the best thing i've bought in a while. And great thing is , you end up with really healthy meals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just found this thread (Good 'ol search) :).

Can anyone recommend a good slow cooker, and if anyone else has any recipes that would be cool too? :)

Also, how much electricity do these use compared with a conventional oven or a pressure cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got my one in Argos years back, it is a Morphy Richards and I have found it very good.
    Crockpots use very little electricity, the rated wattage of mine is something like 80w on the highest of three settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

slow-cooked beef n guinness stew or lamb rogan josh is quality in the crockpot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good slow cooker, and if anyone else has any recipes that would be cool too? :)

Also, how much electricity do these use compared with a conventional oven or a pressure cooker?

I bought a 'Crock Pot' brand one in Argos, old-fashioned looking with handles that stuck out at the side - my husband smashed the lid and one of the handles within a matter of weeks :(
    I went back to Argos and bought the Anthony Worrel Thomson (Breville) one - cheaper, bigger and way more practical.
    They say they only use as much electricity as a lightbulb - and another bonus for summer if your kitchen gets direct sunlight - they don't heat the room.
    I'm dying to try pulled pork in mine - it sounds fantastic.
    There are lots of good recipes on the net and you can adapt any of your own recipes too - using a lot less liquid and only adding herbs in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for all the replies. Some good info there! :)

Advertisement