Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL forged driver sugnature

• 29-01-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi
    I ordered a rear car bumper from Germany the seller used DPD and the driver called me and arranged where to leave it and all was fine.
    I also ordered a front car bumper from Germany and DHL was the courier.
    I ordered both at the same time and a week had passed since the DPD delivery.

I contacted the seller and asked where was the front bumper he sent me tracking details to say the bumper had been delivered.
    I contacted DHL and after a few calls had been told the driver left the bumper in a garage and had signed it himself.:confused:

I told him I did courier work before and said that was not standard procedure, that no notes were left, none of my family had signed for it, it was possibly in a different property, and the driver had forged a signature.:mad:

He also said I might have to contact seller to put a claim in? and admitted driver signed for it himself:confused:
    I asked him to give driver my number and I meet him in the village so he can show me where he left it without me showing him where my house is.
    The driver never called anyways.
    He then said he was getting a supervisor to look into it and they would get back to me.

I have a copy of POD emailed to me which was fraudulently signed by the DHL driver, I am €200 lighter and without a product.

I will never use DHL for delivery's and I feel they should sort this out as fraud was committed by the driver and possibly theft of my bumper.

Any thoughts and has anyone had similar experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Did the driver sign as him or herself or as you the recipient? If they signed as themselve then there is no fraud or deception. They may well have left the bumper as claimed in the garage and you could have sold it and making all this up. And there's the problem that the courier has. Your signature is proof of delivery and they have none.

Really you have to look at both the terms and conditions of the sale and the dlivery. If you arranged carriage then you need to take it up with the carrier. If the seller arranged carriage included in the price then check the T&C's as you may be able to claim that the seller did not deliver and your beef is with teh seller. It can be complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

from been in the transport business myself if the driver arranged with a customer to leave something there or in a place with your permission thats fine and its at your loss if it went missing
    if the driver signs the POD himself he is liable and you can claim DHL for that
    some companies now that have regular customers and they might not be in and have arranged for the driver to leave something in a particular place(which is very common i might add) the company will give this customer a form to sign to say this is ok for the driver to leave something there on the premises or in a safe place around it
    you should go to DHL and they by right have to reimburse you with your loss simple as that this happens alot and the driver could be either suspended or fired this would be at the company's discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 48 detonator1979

No nothing was arranged with me and the driver.

The driver signed my surname as the signature.

The seller arranged delivery and was included in the sale.

The DHL driver should have left contact details to arrange a delivery.

I have no problem arranging something if the driver calls and no one is present.

its still down to the driver forging signature if he cant show you where he left it then its either gone missing or stolen DHL are the ones that have to reimburse you.

BrianD wrote: »
    Did the driver sign as him or herself or as you the recipient? If they signed as themselve then there is no fraud or deception. They may well have left the bumper as claimed in the garage and you could have sold it and making all this up. And there's the problem that the courier has. Your signature is proof of delivery and they have none.

Really you have to look at both the terms and conditions of the sale and the dlivery. If you arranged carriage then you need to take it up with the carrier. If the seller arranged carriage included in the price then check the T&C's as you may be able to claim that the seller did not deliver and your beef is with teh seller. It can be complicated.

if driver signed this himself there is a case to be had
    the driver should come to the house and show the customer where he left it if he cant do that he didnt go there simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmynokia wrote: »
    its still down to the driver forging signature if he cant show you where he left it then its either gone missing or stolen DHL are the ones that have to reimburse you.

My interpretation is that the seller made the delivery arrangement and chose the carrier. If that is so, the onus is possibly on the seller to have things remedied. It looks like a case where OP should study the T&Cs before deciding who to pursue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Surely forged signature = fraud = matter for the Police ?

its not company policy for any carrier just to leave something at somebodys house as this has been an ongoing practice for years now, this has brought up ridiculous fraudulent claims to the carrier which means they are at loss this is why POD is critical unless arranged differently .

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Surely forged signature = fraud = matter for the Police ?

pending on value and the sender or companys discretion YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

pending on value and the sender or companys discretion YES

Surely the discretion of the person whose signature was forged would be the main consideration ?

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Surely the discretion of the person whose signature was forged would be the main consideration ?

hopefully to close topic
    the OP has to go to DHL where HE CAN CLAIM for the item
    the driver forged signatory this is fraud unless pre advised by recipient via phone call or written arrangement
    the driver should have written left in safe place/garage for example not his name or the recipients name

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

hopefully to close topic
    the OP has to go to DHL where HE CAN CLAIM for the item
    the driver forged signatory this is fraud unless pre advised by recipient via phone call or written arrangement
    the driver should have written left in safe place/garage for example not his name or the recipients name

I'm afraid this is incorrect. The OP should contact the seller of the items, as it was the seller who contracted with DHL. The OP should inform the seller that they have not received the goods and the seller should proceed against DHL.

The OP has no contract with DHL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

dudara wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is incorrect. The OP should contact the seller of the items, as it was the seller who contracted with DHL. The OP should inform the seller that they have not received the goods and the seller should proceed against DHL.

The OP has no contract with DHL

I've neve come across a case where the driver signed the recipients name but surely in this case as the recipients sig was forged then the OP needs to take this up with DHL directly?

If it was me I would phone them up Monday morning and give them a deadline of Monday evening to resolve, stating you will get the guards involved if it's not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I had the similar experience recently - checked the DHL tracking number to see it had been signed for by someone I'd never heard of, with an unusual name. I only have a few neighbours and knew it wasn't any of them. Rang the company I'd ordered from, and they confirmed it was my item that had been signed for.

Later that night one of my neighbours arrived to my door with my package. It had been left outside their house, on a rainy day and they had only noticed it a while after they arrived home. They have the same surname as me, but were not home when the delivery was made, another neighbour had directed the driver to their house, same surname, but different house number. They'd never heard of the person who signed for it. The package was clearly labelled with the exact address, including house number - I have a large house number on the house.

The company who I ordered from in the first place said they would start an investigation with DHL, because this is clearly unacceptable to either consumer or business.

I've neve come across a case where the driver signed the recipients name but surely in this case as the recipients sig was forged then the OP needs to take this up with DHL directly?

If it was me I would phone them up Monday morning and give them a deadline of Monday evening to resolve, stating you will get the guards involved if it's not resolved.

Let me repeat it - the OP has no relationship with DHL. He hasn't viewed the delivery document.

The only person who can address this matter with DHL is the contract holder - the seller.

let me repeat it its DHLs issue, im willing to put a bet on this open forum the driver is at fault full stop DHL employ the driver
    DHL are responsible for this not the seller.

in effect what you are saying is if i buy a cd from amazon and it went missing its amazons fault. this is not the case
    how shipping works is that the customer ie amazon for example have contracts with various contractors to deliver there goods i know this as im in the business and one part of contract is POD DRIVER MUST NOT SIGN HIMSELF
    hence an insurance claim is now started the claim is with the shipper as the shipper who has signed contract has guaranteed a proper protocol to deliver the goods
    the seller pays his local shipping agent a price be it the postman or other company same again all these shipping contracters have the same protocols to follow
    another example in ireland there are many shipping companys
    some of these choose to use others as an outsource to keep there costs down again the same rules apply to whoever the work lands with the cliam falls with the driver and employer NOT THE GUY WHO POSTED IT

dudara wrote: »
    Let me repeat it - the OP has no relationship with DHL. He hasn't viewed the delivery document.

The only person who can address this matter with DHL is the contract holder - the seller.

Noneed to repeat and no need for that tone. It's obvious the ops contract is with the seller, however as this is forgery and potential fraud then the op is needs to chase this up. My reasoning for suggesting to contact dhl directly is to give them a chance before he goes to the guards. Doing this via the seller in Germany could take days.

If you/he feels that he has no business going to dhl himself, then get the guards involved.

If it happened to me I would be bypassing the seller. It's gone beyond an undelivered item at this stage and moved on to forgery

Noneed to repeat and no need for that tone

a bit heavy alright

but lets let the OP go to DHL or the gardai and let him come back and tell us who is right and who is wrong :)

the gardai will investigate this all shipping companys have liaisons with the gardai with cases of fraud believe me they do
    they will chase it up if DHL refuse to
    some companys in ireland have actually internal fraudulent investigators working with them too and its becoming more popular as to the current economic climate people are purchasing things with false credit cards and sending stuff to there mates here its even been done in ireland and its at a massive scale.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Having worked in the freight business for more than 20 years, I would suggest the OP needs to do both things.
    Number 1, contact the seller and initiate the claim and replacement.
    Number 2, contact DHL in writing lodging a complaint about the way the delivery was handled. If they refuse to comment, refer the matter to the Gardai.

This is becoming more and more prevalent in the business. I had a delivery a couple of months ago where the NPX driver clearly forged my name on the delivery:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

let me repeat it its DHLs issue, im willing to put a bet on this open forum the driver is at fault full stop DHL employ the driver
    DHL are responsible for this not the seller.
    it is the responsibility of the seller to deliver the goods whether that be across a shop counter or by post courier or carrier pidgeon!

the seller is the one who has a contract with the carrier not the buyer and due to data protection the carrier should not be discussing any issues with the buyer. the buyer if there is any problem with delivery should go back to the seller and get them to deal with their contracted delivery agents!
    Noneed to repeat and no need for that tone

a bit heavy alright

but lets let the OP go to DHL or the gardai and let him come back and tell us who is right and who is wrong :)

the gardai will investigate this all shipping companys have liaisons with the gardai with cases of fraud believe me they do
    they will chase it up if DHL refuse to
    some companys in ireland have actually internal fraudulent investigators working with them too and its becoming more popular as to the current economic climate people are purchasing things with false credit cards and sending stuff to there mates here its even been done in ireland and its at a massive scale.
    there is need to repeat as some posters completly ignored the clear and 100% correct advice in this situation and went on to post incorrect and poor advice. DHL may well refuse any contact with the op as they have no contract with them, DHL only have a contract with the seller.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Having worked in the freight business for more than 20 years, I would suggest the OP needs to do both things.
    Number 1, contact the seller and initiate the claim and replacement.
    Number 2, contact DHL in writing lodging a complaint about the way the delivery was handled. If they refuse to comment, refer the matter to the Gardai.

This is becoming more and more prevalent in the business. I had a delivery a couple of months ago where the NPX driver clearly forged my name on the delivery:eek:
    there was no delivery so there is nothing to lodge any complaint to DHL about, and even if there was DHL should not deal with the buyer as their contract is with the seller, the only interaction they should have with the op is to deliver the package and recieve a signiture or other proof of delivery.

• Advertisement

there was no delivery so there is nothing to lodge any complaint to DHL about
    there was a delivery signed by the driver ?

foggy_lad wrote: »

there is need to repeat as some posters completly ignored the clear and 100% correct advice in this situation and went on to post incorrect and poor advice. DHL may well refuse any contact with the op as they have no contract with them, DHL only have a contract with the seller.

there was no delivery so there is nothing to lodge any complaint to DHL about, and even if there was DHL should not deal with the buyer as their contract is with the seller, the only interaction they should have with the op is to deliver the package and recieve a signiture or other proof of delivery.

there is no disputing the fact that the contract for delivery is between DHL and the seller. thats a given.
    however in this case something else has occurred. That something else is forgery (as mentioned in my previous posts).

as I have said earlier my advice is as follows:
    if it were me (and something similar happened to me a number of years ago), I would personally contact DHL (regardless of who the contract is between), and tell them that your sig has been forged and that you will be contacting the guards if the issue is not resolved. Forgery is a criminal matter, regardless of the delivery contract in this case. The OPs signature was forged and whilst he obviously needs to get in touch with the seller to explain, he is fully entitled to contact the guards due to the forgery.
    He would be giving DHL a chance to resolve it first by contacting them himself.

If, as is DHLs right, they choose not to deal with the buyer directly, then personally I would go to the guards. Forgery is unnacceptable.
    However according to the OP it seems like they have been dealing with him directly already. And in practice, having dealt with DHL many times myself as the recipient, they are generally always accomodating.

I do agree that there are two aspects to this case.

(1) Non-delivery of goods. This should be dealt with by the seller and DHL

(2) Apparent forgery of signature. The first thing to do here is to establish that there was actually a forgery. Again, this comes back to the seller. As they are the person with the contract with DHL, they can request a copy of the delivery docket and then provide it to the OP for verification. I would do this before proceeding to contact the Gardaí. Otherwise you will be approaching the Gardaí with no proof. So again, the OP will need to get the seller involved.

EDIT: just to add, I'm not sure if this is even a criminal matter, it's probably a civil matter, so I would also be reluctant to go to the Gardaí as I think they will not care. A civil case against DHL is probably the right way to go once all other avenues have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Seems to be a lot of righteous indignation regarding the forged signature. I think it's a terrible way for the driver to deal with a situation where there's nobody at home, but given that they aren't hiding the facts or attempting to defraud anybody I can't see the Gardaí have too much interest. If they deny the seller's insurance claim then that's another story.

Zab wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of righteous indignation regarding the forged signature. I think it's a terrible way for the driver to deal with a situation where there's nobody at home, but given that they aren't hiding the facts or attempting to defraud anybody I can't see the Gardaí have too much interest. If they deny the seller's insurance claim then that's another story.

In a way Zab you're right, but as with a lot of things in this country we don't complain and people get away with things. The guards will be interested I believe. When this happened to me a number of years ago the guards were very interested. Nothing to do win DHL in my case by the way. Hopefully this issue gets resolved without guards becoming involved

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

was it actually delivered by DHL? alot of stuff from germany is sent through Deutche Post DHL whixh is delivered by an post...

Advertisement