Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hunter S Thompson?

• 01-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I have read, re read and loved Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by this man. His style is unlike any one else's. What is the most quintessentially "Hunter" work? I would like to steer away from any of his sport or political works, as the the setting of mid 70 american politics or sports journalism is a but hard to relate to. But I need his talk of swine, weaponry, and drug cocktails to inspire and amuse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

my personal favourite is 'hells angels' about his time spent following the gang around, highly recommended. also 'the rum diary' although thats a fictional novel. i also love 'the proud highway' which is a collection of his letters to random people, should'nt be so entertaining but it is! have to say anything by hunter is fantastic! hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I read The Rum Diary recently. I didn't think it was my sort of book - my brother persuaded me to read it - but it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I've only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but I absolutely loved it! I don't know why I haven't downloaded some more of his book. *runs to Amazon*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'd second the hells angels book- its pure savagery. I really enjoyed his short pieces as well. One in particular that stands out is his birthday 'prank' on Jack Nicholson, in Kingdom of Fear AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It's been 35 years but I remember parts of the Great Shark Hunt to be pretty good. And you get to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kentucky_Derby_Is_Decadent_and_Depraved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've just started his Hell's Angels book, and I'm hooked. I've already lined up Rum Diaries to read next.

The only other Thompson book I've read is Fear and Loathing and I loved it too.

Advertisement