Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

bush wrote: »
    This got 5 stars from giant bomb which doesnt happen very ofte.

Haunts really liked it to

http://www.1up.com/reviews/mortal-kombat-review?pager.offset=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stillframe

J0hnick wrote: »
    http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(2011_video_game)#Demo_Version

360 demo tomorrow on X-Box Live, better late then never I suppose

Lies!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

MK RETROSPECTIVE

watch this if you ever owned an old MK GAME.
    really well made.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-i-mortal-kombat/712953

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Really looking forward to this game now for some reason.
    Where in the name of Zeus is the 360 demo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

God damnit. I just remembered this demo was supposadly out and now I'm told it's not D:
    The 360 usually gets stuff added to the store on Wednesdays. Probably up tomorrow.

• Advertisement

UK Gamespot gave it an 8.5 and a very good review. A "return to form"

Apparently, Shao Khan is still cheap as chips....

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mortal-kombat/review.html?page=2

8.7 on metacricket

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mortal-kombat

So, whos getting this for PS3 and whos getting it for 360 ?

Not a chance anybody who has both consoles will choose 360 over PS3, with Stereoscopic 3D mode, an extra character, and already better graphics. For the same price tag, why would you bother?

I will be on PS3 for sure

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I asked him and his response was "please throw my ball".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

MK is to implement tweaks if moves are overpowered / infinites are discovered.
    Mortal Kombat creator NetherRealm has devised a new technology that allows it to re-balance the game dynamically without players noticing.

The studio can make special moves more or less powerful and even combat infinite combos without players having to download a patch.

"In Mortal Kombat we have a system where we can make adjustments to the special moves and balance things out even after the game has been released," series creator Ed Boon revealed to Eurogamer.

"If an infinite were to come out, or a character is too powerful, we can make adjustments and address those things immediately."

Mortal Kombat's dynamic re-balancing system contrasts that employed by Capcom with the likes of Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Capcom re-balanced Street Fighter IV characters with the release of standalone game Super Street Fighter IV, and will do so again this summer with the launch of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition – also available as a downloadable add-on.

Capcom has updated Marvel vs. Capcom 3 with patches designed to fix bugs, combat infinite combos and nerf characters such as devil spawn Sentinel.

While Boon refused to reveal exactly how Mortal Kombat's eye-catching re-balancing tech works, he did describe it as a "mini update".

"It's something that's built into our system," he said. "We can do it without having players have to download a patch. That's something we're very excited about. We can monitor what things players may have an issue with and then correct them as needed.

"That's the new technology we developed for this game. We've seen other fighting games, including our own, have characters we wish were more balanced, more powerful or weaker. So we devised a system that lets us modify the rules of the game, dynamically.

"You could think of it as a mini-update, but it's done in the background."

Boon said it was "impossible" to create a perfectly balanced fighting game.

"Balancing a fighting game is always very challenging. I don't think there is any fighting game that was ever made where every character is equally powerful. The nature of special moves and the damage the characters have, it's physically impossible.

"Even Street Fighter IV, when it first came out, the Sagat character was insanely powerful and the Guile character was very weak. When they released Super Street Fighter IV they tried to balance it out."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-20-mortal-kombat-can-secretly-nerf-characters

🤪

I'm well excited about this game and will be picking it up at launch,
    I remember when i finished by class 4 or 5? exams, as a present the ol lady got me SSF2 and UKM3 for the snes. I was over the moon.
    They were absolutely fantastic considering i was big fan of both the series and was eagerly awaiting the next installments.

MK just brings me back, complete nostalgic factor but i do enjoy the character designs, the new gameplay mode seem like fun too. Im more looking forward to one player or fun with friends rather than online, vs competitiveness.

Will be picking it up at launch.
    I think everyone should pick it up at some stage, definitely need to keep the scene alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I've been waiting for this and didn't want to risk ordering online and missing launch day so i pre booked in gamestop bout a month ago. Still have no regrets :D

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    I'm well excited about this game and will be picking it up at launch,

I think everyone should pick it up at some stage, definitely need to keep the scene alive.

Which machine man, I need to know people ?, Im totally 50/50 between 360 and PS3 version. 360 will naturally have smoother online but most people seem to be leaning towards PS3 because they've played the Demo and it has an extra character (Kratos).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

UK Gamespot gave it an 8.5 and a very good review. A "return to form"

Apparently, Shao Khan is still cheap as chips....

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mortal-kombat/review.html?page=2

8.7 on metacricket

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mortal-kombat

Not a chance anybody who has both consoles will choose 360 over PS3, with Stereoscopic 3D mode, an extra character, and already better graphics. For the same price tag, why would you bother?

I will be on PS3 for sure

Better graphics? They look identical to me.

If you want a proper reason instead of fanboy rubbish the xbox dpad is absolute muck so if I had a ps3 I'd pick that every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

why would you bother?

Cos psn is a joke.

J0hnick 360 is the way to go, IF in the future you plan on playing online alot, you will find more challengers online on the xbox. 90% of people, dare i say 95%+ ? here play SSF4 on the xbox. Its become the standard.
    EXCEPT for in XGC because the PSN tvs are less laggy :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Also, a lot of us don't need to worry about crap D-pads cause we play on stick.

Still not sure if I'll pick this up, I'll def. be playing it at casuals or at a friends house before I make up my mind. Hasn't grabbed me too much yet.

90% of people, dare i say 95%+ ? here play SSF4 on the xbox.

Oh I know, half of them are on me friend list, but most of me friends in real life are getting the PS3 version.

Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Pffft, real life friends. You're not a winner until you're ranked high on a leaderboard!

🤪

by my experience, real life friends only exist in games until the hype, i.e 2/3 weeks. When the next FIFA/or CRYSIS comes out, theyll be gone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

by my experience, real life friends only exist in games until the hype, i.e 2/3 weeks. When the next FIFA/or CRYSIS comes out, theyll be gone

Friends are so fickle, unlike the eternal cold embrace of video games :D

who needs friends when u got fatalities.
    They actually look class, brings you back

• Advertisement

who's the clown in the second last fatality??

Edit: never mind Shang Tsung

Damn!, the game got combo's :eek:

Or is that, Kombo's ? :D
    who's the clown in the second last fatality??

Shang Tsung, he transforms into one for one of his fatalities

Shang Tsung, he transforms into one for one of his fatalities
    It's a shame they stole that Fatality from Joker in MKvDC. It's an awesome Fatality, but it loses a lot of its charm when it's just bolted onto Shang Tsung like that.

Exactly what I was thinking, but I thought that didn't show all the fatalities, maybe I missed it but Kung Lao's bandsaw wasn't there so I presume they must have seconds?

there better be 2 for each.
    Im loving sindels and sheevas, i used to love their them in the older versions.

Joker ones does not suit Tsung, for sure.

there better be 2 for each.

There are, you have to unlock each characters 2nd fatality by buying it in the Krypt.

Alas it seems a demo did not go up for MK today, however something even better did!
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Mortal-Kombat/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802575207fd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yes..Babalities are also included. I hope friendshipalities or what ever they are called are in it as well. They were the best

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Sairus wrote: »
    Alas it seems a demo did not go up for MK today

I'd feel a lot more confident paying for this if I had the chance to play a demo, especially with reports of awful netcode on srk/neo-empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Yes..Babalities are also included

Best be trollin', I thought they were supposed to be dialing down the goofiness.

Advertisement