Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for school/gaming

• 17-07-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? Around €400. If that's too low, I could afford €500 at a stretch

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? I'll need it for school so I'll need the basics like Microsoft Word and Excel. I have Steam so I need it for some gaming. No high end gaming, mostly just 2D Games like Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Braid but I'd really like to be able to play games like Minecraft, Amnesia, Psychonauts and the Half life games (these are games I have aready purchased but if any of them make my expenses go above the budget, just leave them out!) I'd also be using Skype and possibly video editing if I can afford it.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 18"-19" will do!

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Need a Keyboard, mouse, webcam and a card reader. Speakers are optional but would be nice!

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Uh, I don't know what that is so I guess not!

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Either this or next month hopefully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

That's a pretty difficult build...

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€56.09
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.66
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€39.59
    4GB Patriot AMD Entertainment Edition PC3-10600 1333MHz|€23.45
    AOC e950Swda|€82.14
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.98
    Club 3D Radeon 6670 1024MB, AMD Radeon 6670, PCI-Express|€59.73
    Wintech CM-5085 optical mouse|€5.24
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht|€3.91
    LogiLink 2.0 USB Webcam mit LED und Mikrofon|€7.89
    Logitech LS21 2.1 Speaker System|€20.69
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€443.93

Best I could do :o You should be able to run games great though, as it's not a very hard resolution, and the games you mentioned aren't exactly Crysis :).

Get Windows from here, and yes you can do a clean install on it.

All you need is a keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Thank you so much! Fantastic help! :D I do have a few more questions though,

-Is that EVERYTHING I need? (Minus the keyboard and office of course!) You know, so I can get started straight away on it once it all arrives?

-Can I swap some of those parts for different ones? Say I wanted to get a different fan, memory card, or power supply, will it work with the rest? Providing it's similar of course. (As long as the parents are willing to raise the budget anyway!) And I can use any case as long as it's mid-tower, right?

-Do I need to add anything extra to connect it to the internet?

-And say down along the line, I want to update my graphics card (or anything for that matter) Can I do that without having to make a brand new computer and get all the parts again?

-Should I be able to play most 2D/older 3D games at the recommended settings? Obviously apart from the likes of Crysis, COD, Skyrim etc...?

And I still do have to read up A LOT about building my computer, but I'm just trying to get these questions out of the way first! :)

-Is that EVERYTHING I need? (Minus the keyboard and office of course!) You know, so I can get started straight away on it once it all arrives?

Pretty sure it is. By the way, get Open Office/Libre Office instead of Microsoft Office. It's free! Great piece of software
    -Can I swap some of those parts for different ones? Say I wanted to get a different fan, memory card, or power supply, will it work with the rest? Providing it's similar of course. (As long as the parents are willing to raise the budget anyway!) And I can use any case as long as it's mid-tower, right?

Of course you can swap them, but maybe put the build up before you order so you can make sure it's ok? You could use any size case, mini, mid, or full tower.
    -Do I need to add anything extra to connect it to the internet?
    You just need an Ethernet cable to plug into the back of the computer and your modem, looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjspo8fvUyzeQ5HnB0xIPaeYqD73cinBavuYi0j0d0rK6whVIoHg
    -Should I be able to play most 2D/older 3D games at the recommended settings? Obviously apart from the likes of Crysis, COD, Skyrim etc...?

I built it with budget things in mind, but yeah most older stuff should be ok.
    -And say down along the line, I want to update my graphics card (or anything for that matter) Can I do that without having to make a brand new computer and get all the parts again?

Of course, that's the point of a custom made computer ;). If you want to add in a stronger graphics card though, chances are you'll need a beefier PSU. You might want to get the Super Flower Amazon 450 watt PSU.

Be careful when choosing a PSU. Just because it's called "Ultra Extreme Gamer Destroyer ZZZ" doesn't mean it's good. Many of them don't provide anywhere near their advertised wattage, can be terribly inefficient and may blow up your system :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Open office is very good but, just to let you know you can get the Customer Preview of Office 2013 for a free trial too if you want. It would keep you going for a few months anyway. http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/office-365-home-premium

Eboggles wrote: »
    You just need an Ethernet cable to plug into the back of the computer and your modem, looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjspo8fvUyzeQ5HnB0xIPaeYqD73cinBavuYi0j0d0rK6whVIoHg
    I use wi-fi though because my modem is over the other side of the house. So I need to buy something extra then, don't I?

Of course, that's the point of a custom made computer ;). If you want to add in a stronger graphics card though, chances are you'll need a beefier PSU. You might want to get the Super Flower Amazon 450 watt PSU.

I've swapped the old PSU for the SFA. No point in buying the first one knowing that I'll need the SFA sometime down the line :)

Also, do I need to buy a disc drive too?
    I could add this one on? http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=27402&agid=699&apop=2

• Advertisement

You don't actually need a disc drive, but you can get one if you want. The one you linked is fine.

You'll need a wifi card, something like this.

The case you picked is pretty old and not particularly good, if you're spending €50 the Bitfenix Shinobi is a much better buy. It's on Hardwareversand so it'd also mean you're getting more items from the one place.

Also, why are you ordering the webcam from Amazon? There's this Logitech on HWVS which looks slightly better for cheaper.

Also, I'm personally not a fan of wireless KBM. There can be a bit of input lag, which isn't great while gaming. If you don't mind that, though, it's all ok.

I think you're all set :).

The case you picked is pretty old and not particularly good, if you're spending €50 the Bitfenix Shinobi is a much better buy. It's on Hardwareversand so it'd also mean you're getting more items from the one place.

Also, why are you ordering the webcam from Amazon? There's this Logitech on HWVS which looks slightly better for cheaper.

Also, I'm personally not a fan of wireless KBM. There can be a bit of input lag, which isn't great while gaming. If you don't mind that, though, it's all ok.

I think you're all set :).

I'll definitely swap the case, because with shipping included that other one added up to over €60. The Shinobi's only €55.82 and looks much better.

And I was going to get the webcam off of Amazon because it looked better quality than the other one. I'll go for the Logitech HD though, that saves me a few euro too! I don't mind the KBM so that'll be no problem!

Assuming all goes well, I'll pop in to mention how it's going. It's a bit daunting! At least I'll have some help though. :) Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'll definitely swap the case, because with shipping included that other one added up to over €60. The Shinobi's only €55.82 and looks much better.

And I was going to get the webcam off of Amazon because it looked better quality than the other one. I'll go for the Logitech HD though, that saves me a few euro too! I don't mind the KBM so that'll be no problem!

Assuming all goes well, I'll pop in to mention how it's going. It's a bit daunting! At least I'll have some help though. :) Thanks again!
    This Shinobi is 3 quid cheaper if you like the red highlights. Personal preference really. There's also a windowed version there for 60.

• Advertisement

I have to admit, this one looks pretty cool, but I think I'll stick with the black one. I don't know what it is, I'm not just into the real flashy ones with lights and windows for some reason. I seem to like the plain old boring ones more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I have to admit, this one looks pretty cool, but I think I'll stick with the black one. I don't know what it is, I'm not just into the real flashy ones with lights and windows for some reason. I seem to like the plain old boring ones more!
    Fair enough, I'd be the same. A black one with a window would be best for me though.

Or possibly white/black like the 500R colour scheme :cool:

You mean like this one? http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Midi/50916/Corsair+Carbide+Series+500R+White%2C+ATX%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article That is pretty nice but it's way out of my price range I'm afraid :(

Also someone on a different forum recommended that I purchase this RAM and that it would be better. Dunno why, he says it'll get the most out of the motherboard if I get 2x2. What do yous think?

You mean like this one? http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Midi/50916/Corsair+Carbide+Series+500R+White%2C+ATX%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article That is pretty nice but it's way out of my price range I'm afraid :(

Also someone on a different forum recommended that I purchase this RAM and that it would be better. Dunno why, he says it'll get the most out of the motherboard if I get 2x2. What do yous think?

You'll be fine with the one I linked, as it's only one stick. It means you can just add in another to have dual channel 8GB, and have 2 slots free. If you were to go with the Corsair RAM, you wouldn't have any free slots if you were to upgrade to 8GB. It's no biggie though.

I think the AMD RAM looks nicer.

Grand. I'll just go with the AMD so. It looks like my search is just about over anyway :D Here are my final parts
    Motherboard
    Case
    Hard Drive
    CPU
    Power Supply
    Memory
    Graphics Card
    Card Reader
    Disc Drive
    Wi-Fi Card
    Webcam/Mic
    Keyboard/Mouse

Last thing is just the monitor. I could add in an extra €30-€40 (by selling some stuff) could get me a 1920x1080 pixel monitor which would be much better. I'll go searching for one myself, but do they all come with the cables (VGA connector I think they're called) that connect them to the main part of the computer?

Grand. I'll just go with the AMD so. It looks like my search is just about over anyway :D Here are my final parts
    Motherboard
    Case
    Hard Drive
    CPU
    Power Supply
    Memory
    Graphics Card
    Card Reader
    Disc Drive
    Wi-Fi Card
    Webcam/Mic
    Keyboard/Mouse

Last thing is just the monitor. I could add in an extra €30-€40 (by selling some stuff) could get me a 1920x1080 pixel monitor which would be much better. I'll go searching for one myself, but do they all come with the cables (VGA connector I think they're called) that connect them to the main part of the computer?

1080p would be hell on your graphics card + CPU, as they're not exactly gaming grade goods. Best I could do considering the budget, and the fact that you need all the peripherals.

If you can stretch, it might be more beneficial to get a G860 and a 6770/7750.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I think that Wifi card is getting a lot of flack from people finding they have to bend it into shape to fit properly.

1080p would be hell on your graphics card + CPU, as they're not exactly gaming grade goods. Best I could do considering the budget, and the fact that you need all the peripherals.

If you can stretch, it might be more beneficial to get a G860 and a 6770/7750.

I'll try stretch, but it'll be over another €100 at the cheapest. Don't think it'll be happening though. Would buying the CPU and Graphics card you mentioned without the monitor improve the computer much anyway?
    I think that Wifi card is getting a lot of flack from people finding they have to bend it into shape to fit properly.
    What other one would you recommend then?

I'll try stretch, but it'll be over another €100 at the cheapest. Don't think it'll be happening though. Would buying the CPU and Graphics card you mentioned without the monitor improve the computer much anyway?

Not really but It'd be pretty hard to play new games at 1080p on them. 1366x768 would be ok though.

I might just leave it out then. Like I said, I won't be playing many powerful games on it and I think 1366x768 would look good enough for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you don't mind buying second hand there are some very cheap monitors on adverts.ie

Advertisement