Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pádraic Nally: After the Headlines - RTE2 9.30pm

• 12-03-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭

Might be interesting. You would think he has been through enough without having to suffer Charlie Bird.
    Charlie Bird revisits the story of a Co Mayo farmer who shot a trespasser dead in 2004, investigating whether the case is still as divisive as it was at the time. Despite being sentenced to six years in prison for the manslaughter of traveller John Ward, Padraic Nally had his conviction quashed 11 months later after maintaining he acted in self-defence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Forgot this was on - just switched over, cheers skid! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Charlie Bird really likes to get himself on camera.

Walking to the Station, getting on the train, sitting on the train ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just tuned in now, very interesting.

Skid wrote: »
    Charlie Bird really likes to get himself on camera.

Walking to the Station, getting on the train, sitting on the train ...

Agreed - I'll suffer him though for the sake of watching this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Ah this will be excellent. For the next hour I'll find myself screaming abuse at the TV. And yes, the second shot was necessary. Can those two lads please stop talking ****e

• Advertisement

Really was a huge story at the time though, wasn't it? You'd forget about it til it all surfaces like this again.

I might of dodged a bill here or there but i never killed a man:D.

They could do with going over the facts here, like how many times he was shot, and how far from the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Charlie is looking very deshevled .

First words he spoke " in MY time as a journalist I have seen many stories come and go"

It's not about you Charlie

'I won't tie my Donkey to that entirely' :pac:

I'll must remember that expression.

• Advertisement

Charlie didn't last too long in Washington himself.

Poor aul divil going about his business :(

I think he looks well.

Have you ever been to America? Charlie you didn't last two weeks there

Off to the mart with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those two travellers fellas were a refreshing change - considered and sympathetic, dare I say - a far cry from the usual defensive fightin' talk from Martin Collins and co.

Dunno what to make of Padraig Nally... seems a sandwich or two short of a picnic, but equally it's very hard to imagine him getting wound up enough to fire a gun at someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good to see that Padraig is doing ok and getting on with his life. He seems a quiet man who just wants to live out his days in peace.

Poor, poor man - I feel so sorry for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

NickDrake wrote: »
    First words he spoke " in MY time as a journalist I have seen many stories come and go"

It's not about you Charlie
    If you had the misfortune of reading his book you'd be forgiven for thinking that it's always about Charlie.
    He mentions covering the tsunami in thailand in 2004 and his difficulties getting back to his hotel which, from reading his book, appeared to be as great a tragedy as the quarter of a million people who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus this is tragic, I have a lump in my throat listening to him, he reminds me of all our old neighbors where I grew up.

• Advertisement

Good to see that Padraig is doing ok and getting on with his life. He seems a quiet man who just wants to live out his days in peace.

... And I hope he gets to do just that, Galwayguy

'If someone broke into your house, would you protect your home?'

A loaded question Charlie (excuse the pun)

What do you expect him to say? 'No, I'd make him a cup of tae and help him load up, Charlie'

DeepBlue wrote: »
    If you had the misfortune of reading his book you'd be forgiven for thinking that it's always about Charlie.
    He mentions covering the tsunami in thailand in 2004 and his difficulties getting back to his hotel which, from reading his book, appeared to be as great a tragedy as the quarter of a million people who died.

How did you read it? Is there a story in there about every journalist sharing their hotel room with loads of families and Charlie didn't let a sinner in his?

Oh gwan Charlie, keep digging there and you (and only you) will get to the REAL story.

Honestly, this programme is good despite, not because of, CB - he really is a piece of work.

Ya enjoying it so far but Charlie keeps twisting everything back to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh gwan Charlie, keep digging there and you (and only you) will get to the REAL story.

Honestly, this programme is good despite, not because of, CB - he really is a piece of work.
    I cringed at that crap about getting at the real man there at the break, totally unnecessary.

I think Pádraic is a bit smarter than he is letting on here.

Charlie would give Joe Duffy a good run for his money in the melodramatic sighing stakes

Slept in the shed to keep an eye out.... God love the man! A state of fear like that must be absolutely terrifying... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Very interesting programme,Charlie isnt probably the best fella RTE could have got to do it,he hasnt a clue about country life,

Advertisement