Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meat handling course done and passed

• 19-02-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

hey tehre fellas i was at my meat handling course there sat the 18 over the moon here that i passed thank god very very intense course i have to say the trained hunter has a lot more responsabiltiy now in relation to looking for disease in the body of the deer and any abnormal behaviour must be reported,
    the course itself was very good very all well explained i have to say, lads came from far and wide to attten the day it was a great success indeed :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Can U sell now straight to the public any deer or game you shot???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

no not that far yet lad but that is coming as far as i know cause in the uk you can walk in to a butcher and buy pheasnt and venison like we buy beef or lamb over here and then once all the health requirements pass all is ok

Gimme a call when or IF that ever happens...Then I might consider it!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

well fella im only going what i was told on the course from head nargc lads

And thanks for replying.Not trying to get at ya either!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

16 years boning beef, pork, venision, horse and donkey in 4 countries and 28 factories and They'll still want me to do this course ....:rolleyes:

well done man ... education and knowledge are always key!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

I wonder where the €375 euro goes for doing the trained hunter course??? I'd be all for it if you couldn't bring deer to game dealer without it, might help stop poaching but it sounds to me like its a bit of a joke.. Good old Irish way of raping the lads who are trying to do things right.

sorry there lad but you are mistaken there, lads can still bring deer to [ghe] game handling establishment but they just bring the head and red offal along as always and still fill out the form as as normal saying not trained hunter, and as far as i know the fee goes for the trainers for the day and the paper work an all that as far as i am aware also the whole idea of this is so in time to come trained hunter will be able to go with venison pheasnt or partrige to the local buthcher as the way its done in the uk [ as far as i was told ]

sorry there lad but you are mistaken there, lads can still bring deer to [ghe] game handling establishment but they just bring the head and red offal along as always and still fill out the form as as normal saying not trained hunter, and as far as i know the fee goes for the trainers for the day and the paper work an all that as far as i am aware also the whole idea of this is so in time to come trained hunter will be able to go with venison pheasnt or partrige to the local buthcher as the way its done in the uk [ as far as i was told ]
    I was told that if you have done this trained hunter course you don't need to bring the head and pluck with you to the game dealer.

so sorry there lad i was meant to say that there lad that trained hunter not bring head and pluck except signs of abnormal behavior but an untrained hunter just bring the head and red offal as normal they game dealer will take both ways of the trained hunter and the untrained hunter

• Advertisement

Thats right,you dont need to lug head and gutpile to the GD if you have done this course.
    However you still can only sell to the GD![sofar and I cant see that changing in the near future either],and not to your local high st butcher or resturant.
    Ergo, at the moment you are no better off,apart from being down 400 quid,as when you sell to the GD the carcass will be inspected anyway by a dept of Ag vet before it is fit for consumption,as well as the game dealer.
    A case of to be sure ,to be sure, to be sure,now!:D
    Whole purpose should be you qualified hunter,sell to public,cutting out middleman.However I reckon the Health&Saftey ,setting up the hygenic facilities,storage etc,etc.No more garage butchering in these cases..You would want to be culling a lot of deer to be making the overheads pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Do you know when they are doing the course again and where? And also i think i heard somewhere that you can get it done through FAS, is that true does anybody know???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats right,you dont need to lug head and gutpile to the GD if you have done this course.

Is it just reds that the head must be kept on when bringing it to the GD?

Head,heart,lungs,liver.Or remnants thereof depending where you shot it.:p

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Head,heart,lungs,liver.Or remnants thereof depending where you shot it.:p

Fallow going to the GD in cahir only need heart/lungs. no head or liver

as far as i heard fas does pay for it there lads ,
    and untrained hunter only brings head heart and lungs nothing else to gd
    and your theory there grizzly 45 is incorrect sorry a trrained hunter checks all lymph nodes on the jaw and liver and lungs then on to the dealer and drop them off no more testing on the carcase is need as the trained hunter as already got ridden of the red and green offal along with the head after checking the whole lot then burrys the whole lot
    thats what i was told to do any way

How long before this "trained hunter" term appears on done deal looking for deer shooting?:pac:

as far as i heard fas does pay for it there lads ,
    and untrained hunter only brings head heart and lungs nothing else to gd
    and your theory there grizzly 45 is incorrect sorry a trrained hunter checks all lymph nodes on the jaw and liver and lungs then on to the dealer and drop them off no more testing on the carcase is need as the trained hunter as already got ridden of the red and green offal along with the head after checking the whole lot then burrys the whole lot
    thats what i was told to do any way

It isnt any theory of mine...And personally I'd rather let a vet who has more experiance than me do the checking Irrespective.
    Wonder whose head will be on the block one day when a diseased animal ends in the food chain???Wont be the vet ,GD ,but you the hunter...

All carcasses will still be examined by a vet... This is what a game dealer told me.. They will save money by not having to pay for disposal of the heart/lungs.

And if possible do away with the vet too..Who is a Govt employee under contract.Ergo get us to do their job for free,and proably take the rap if somthing goes wrong too.:(

• Advertisement

fare play lad you have a very fare point there and as another lad said there it is up to the vet which i think is bang on also the other lad said there it gives the game dealer less disposal charge
    amazing too it took me and grizzly two pages to agree but we got there fair play there fella

Advertisement