Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Hardtail - help to choose

• 21-02-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hello every one.

I want to get the bike with bike4work scheme (meaning it has to be bought in Irish shop).

Any recommendation with up to €650 mark?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

just got a Cube Attention and am well happy with it, was 756 euro after discount in cyclesuperestore.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Tenzor07 wrote: »

that's the one I was originally after but was sold out in my size and they weren't sure if they were getting any more in, think there was a few left in 20 inch frames but give them a call, they are sound to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

any views on this? I could stretch it a bit probably. Better gears as far as I know

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=38252

Stick with the CUBE, looks better and has all shimano gears...

You get €1000 on the BTW so why not go for something with better forks: http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=47497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The Analog is a nice bike, bit on the heavy side and the 11' model's forks are very heavy and they have rebound issues plus the pre-load on mine doesn't seem to work.
    Other than that it rolls great, goes up hills and down them very admirably. There is no flex anywhere when pedalling hard up hills.
    I use my analog mainly for commuting and the occasional Sunday spin on the Ticknock trails. Since I'm a bit heavy myself I had to swap the wheels for something hand built.
    Just a side note, you might want to budget in also some SLX shifters later on. They seem to work far better with the rear mech than the Alivio's. The front is grand as is.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Stick with the CUBE, looks better and has all shimano gears...

You get €1000 on the BTW so why not go for something with better forks: http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=47497

I thought Geode is Shimano as well and a bit better than Alivio?

Thanks for help so far. Can't wait to get it and take it for test run. any nice easy mtb tracks around dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Stick to your budget. Unless you are in the upper tax band the B2W is pointless. The percentage you get off could easily be got by shopping around or shopping online.

Personally if I had a €650 budget I'd go for a Carrera Fury or a Carrera Kraken, huge value for money. You can pick up a secondhand set of forks at a later date. The Suntours will be grand for the moment unless you are riding really hard, then you'll be looking at a 2 grand bike anyway...

docentore wrote: »
    I thought Geode is Shimano as well and a bit better than Alivio?

Thanks for help so far. Can't wait to get it and take it for test run. any nice easy mtb tracks around dublin?

You mean Deore, yes, its Shimano name for the parts...

I would recommend Ballinastoe, the lower trail is easy to find and not as up and down as Ticknock...
    Or Phoenix park, whilst there are no trails as such you can find enough tracks to keep you entertained for an hour or so....

studiorat wrote: »
    Stick to your budget. Unless you are in the upper tax band the B2W is pointless. The percentage you get off could easily be got by shopping around or shopping online.

Personally if I had a €650 budget I'd go for a Carrera Fury or a Carrera Kraken, huge value for money. You can pick up a secondhand set of forks at a later date. The Suntours will be grand for the moment unless you are riding really hard, then you'll be looking at a 2 grand bike anyway...

Thanks,

What about Carrera Vulcan? any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Adverts might be ideal for you, leaves a couple of quid spare for shoes etc too.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Adverts might be ideal for you, leaves a couple of quid spare for shoes etc too.

Thanks, but I want to do it through bike4work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Thanks,

What about Carrera Vulcan? any good?

Decent frame, same average forks.
    The components make it heavy.
    Clarkes hydraulic disc brakes would be grand, I guess.

SRAM X-4 gears could be better, chain-set looks heavy.

I'd probably go one up... I paid €470 for a Krakken I think, some of the Halfords have deals from time to time.
    It's not a particularly sexy bike but it'll do the job for the money you want to spend. Others in the same bracket would be the GT avalanche, Kona Fire Mountain, Cube Analog, Trek 4500 etc. They are all much of a muchness IMO, Alu frame basic components...

I've ridden the Carrera on most of the trails around the country, unless you're looking to "go big" (man), it's ideal for starting out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Have to disagree, got a 1450 euro bike last month with a 30% BTW voucher plus a sales discount for just over 750 euro, pretty much a brand new bike for a second hand price... shop around...

Have to disagree, got a 1450 euro bike last month with a 30% BTW voucher plus a sales discount for just over 750 euro, pretty much a brand new bike for a second hand price... shop around...

yeah, I've got a month to find one. I will have to check few shops etc.

I will have to check few shops etc.

Talk to Richie @ the Cyclesuperstore, he will sort you out with a good deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Stick to your budget. Unless you are in the upper tax band the B2W is pointless.

Don't you save the 23% VAT as well?

Went to Halfords yesterday and ordered Boardman Sport (€460) for myself and Voodoo Bantu (€500) for missus.
    I I don't like my Boardman I can always swap with her :P

What locks are generally recommended? I know cable locks are sh!te, went with krypton u-lock, plus I have already strong chain as second lock. Good choice? I'm not going to leave it outside regularly anyway.

Advertisement