Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the used car market fecked?

• 27-03-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

The reason I ask is because I have had my "07 VW Passat" on sale on the various used car websites for over one full year now. In that time I have a mere one enquiry and that was a fraudulent one.
    Is anyone else struggling to sell their car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it dearer than a lot of other 07 Passats for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

I would say roughly, that 90% are more expensive and 10% are cheaper. There are a huge amount of Passats for sale in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Link to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Over a year without selling it?? Either your not bothered about selling it, your advert or pictures are terrible or you have an unrealistic asking price.

I would always take the hit with a car sale rather than messing about, better to asked a couple of hundred less than other examples and get it sold within a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gonna agree with Senna, maybe the pictures arent the best and thats hampering your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The reason I ask is because I have had my "07 VW Passat" on sale on the various used car websites for over one full year now. In that time I have a mere one enquiry and that was a fraudulent one.
    Is anyone else struggling to sell their car?
    If your car is advertised with decent description (mentioned NCT, tax, last service, etc.), presented with plenty of good, clear photos (interior, exterior, boot, etc.) and is priced accordingly to the market value and its condition, it will sell within a month, no problem.
    If you are asking too much for your car or your ad is not up to scratch, the ad will be sitting there for ages.
    As suggested, please post a link to the ad, so it can be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

For the use car market being fecked i wouldnt say so.

i'd say its better than new car market

gonna agree with others when they say theres something about your advert or it cost too much etc.

I'll take all those comments on board lads. Sounds like the market is alive and kicking and perhaps the issue is with my selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm only seeing one picture. It would help to have more and especially the interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ok, I aint a car person but if i was looking at this i would go straight by it because of the picture. The shine on the car gives the impression there is dents on it. Thats my 2 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

over priced.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok, some suggestions:

1. More photos. Realistically, there's no impression of the car from a single photo. You need shots of all sides, the inside, etc.

2. Give more specific detail about the car's history. Ok, you've a FSH. Was the DMF done, it it driving brilliantly, etc.

3. This is a 5 year old car with 110K miles. In Irish's terms this is considered high. €8,500 *seems* a little high to me and to be honest the mileage is probably putting people off at that price. Adjust accordingly

4. Website. For me CBG is the lowest in my search ranking. I suggest you use donedeal.ie, carzone.ie (ok, ok and adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

CBG's not the place to be selling your car, I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Try the likes of DoneDeal, Adverts, (Gumtree's picking up in popularity these days), or even Carzone as a paid last resort.

You need a lot more photos than just the side. Particularly the interior, no one seems to take interior photos anymore.

Lastly leave out things like 'abs, power steering, electric windows'. You might as well say things like Carpet, Steering Wheel. Every car has them. Instead focus on the condition of the car, how it's been maintained, give a narrative that shows you cared for the car. Saying 'high performance' would say that you drove it like you stole it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Very high milage and no tax paid. No buyer is going to pay a years tax retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

bren2002 wrote: »
    Very high milage and no tax paid. No buyer is going to pay a years tax retrospectively.

They won't have to, they only pay for Tax from the date of purchase.

bren2002 wrote: »

good christ..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Two things:

As said, distinct lack of inside photos, and photos of different sides. Was the other side crashed? Dented? Scratched? Why no pictures?

Secondly, the price. It's not too high, but it is a bit high when you consider there's no garage warranty with it.

Owen wrote: »
    ............. Saying 'high performance' would say that you drove it like you stole it everywhere.

...... and when the car in question is a 1.9 diesel Passat it's a ludicrous claim
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    good christ..........:rolleyes:

Indeed, lol :)

OP, here's the craic......a lot of what has been rightly stated by my peers here who know the craic too........

1. wrong internet site to sell a car..........DONEDEAL is yer man, mass audience, and its cheap, and used correctly, you can drive good traffic to your car.

2. Poor ad ....more pics needed from all angles, inside & outside, the boot, the engine bay, the works

3. Roll some video.......it works wonders for me...my phone hops when i do video ads, takes time but really worth it.

4. sort of your asking price.....anyone car purchase a similar car with similar miles and condition and miles for under 7k private.........

5. be honest, friendly and credible when you get a call........and recommend they come for a test drive.

the good news is good passat tdi's always sell, people like them, they're easy on diesel and sell every day of the week.
    Hope this helps and get to it if you are serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yes I suppose the market is a bit fecked. But then again if you are buying another the prices have also dropped dramatically. Car is 07 and I believe the price should be in the region of 7k. Improve the ad and if you really want to sell it at that price you will. No point in thinking what it should be worth and what it used to be worth , if you want to change then put a really stand out ad and a decent price and best of luck , its a decent car :D

shawnee wrote: »
    Yes I suppose the market is a bit fecked.

I have to disagree, I find the market quite boyant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

RoverJames wrote: »
    ...... and when the car in question is a 1.9 diesel Passat it's a ludicrous claim
    Relative to your average asthmatic Irish car it probably is high performance. Maybe mention the turbo though, unless it's shagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

James. wrote: »
    why did you only post 1 picture ?

did you really think that was the best idea ?
    OP's looking for help, not grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

2. Poor ad ....more pics needed from all angles, inside & outside, the boot, the engine bay, the works

This drives me daft, nobody is going to drive for an hour or two to see a car if there are no good quality pictures of all angles of the car. I would consider these sellers timewasters!

Highlight ANY bad points on the car also, just so the buyer is aware before they view it as this will be scrutinised if found on inspection! This could work in your favour in the end as the buyer will consider you an honest seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I have to disagree, I find the market quite boyant.:D

Really depends what you are buying or selling . There seems to be a major dislike to anything with tax bracket over 1600 cc. Great value to be had in that area but slow to sell , that's my experience :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I was looking to buy a 2nd hand car one of the main requirements would be mileage as low as possible.

I wouldn't touch any car with over 80k on the clock to be honest, hence I'd shut your advert down as soon as I seen that. Maybe others are like me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Doesn't say "TDI" on the ad. Many would use that as a basis for a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

You really need to get more images of the car from all the angles and the interior, if I was looking for a passat and came across your add id be thinking if you cant be bothered to take decent images i cant be bothered looking at the add

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

You really need to get more images of the car from all the angles and the interior, if I was looking for a passat and came across your add id be thinking if you cant be bothered to take decent images i cant be bothered looking at the add

Advertisement