Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Kilcock

• 08-05-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Thinking of renting in Kilcock in the next few months. Married couple in 40s. Whats available, what price, what estates are quitest( fewer children the better) not interested in apartment living.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions good-bad etc.

Already checked out commute to work etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Abbeyfield, Royal Meadows and Bakers Walk are most central and an easy walk to the bus stop or train station. Important as parking can be tricky.
    Brayton Park and Rye Bridge also woth a look but a bit further out of town.

A lot of young families in Kilcock so the kids thing might be your biggest problem......

Best of luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

STForSale wrote: »
    Abbeyfield, Royal Meadows and Bakers Walk are most central and an easy walk to the bus stop or train station. Important as parking can be tricky.
    Brayton Park and Rye Bridge also woth a look but a bit further out of town.

A lot of young families in Kilcock so the kids thing might be your biggest problem......

Best of luck with the move!

Cheers for that...

Didn't mean to sound like I hated kids ha ha, just been there done that etc and looking for a little peace and quite.

not yet wrote: »
    Cheers for that...

Didn't mean to sound like I hated kids ha ha, just been there done that etc and looking for a little peace and quite.
    Ah, peace and quiet, I remember that. As someone who has kids I completley understand! You looking for 2,3 or 4 Bed?

Ah, peace and quiet, I remember that. As someone who has kids I completley understand! You looking for 2,3 or 4 Bed?

Just me and the wife, so two bed would be fine. Leaving a two bed apartment in clonee, just going to rent that and move out just a little. Jesus apartment living is not for anyone over 30.

not yet wrote: »
    Just me and the wife, so two bed would be fine. Leaving a two bed apartment in clonee, just going to rent that and move out just a little. Jesus apartment living is not for anyone over 30.
    Tis hard to hide in an apartment alright ;).
    No 2 beds in abbeyfield or royal meadows but bakers walk, rye bridge and brayton park do. Lots of 2 beds in chambers park also but personally I don't like this development.

• Advertisement

Tis hard to hide in an apartment alright ;).
    No 2 beds in abbeyfield or royal meadows but bakers walk, rye bridge and brayton park do. Lots of 2 beds in chambers park also but personally I don't like this development.
    Yeah looked on daft and they seem to be all on top of each other. If it meant going a little extra I wouldn't mind. In general what the town like i.e pubs, walks, restaurants etc.

Yeah, high density, houses are too small and it’s a long walk to the village

M4 motorway is on your doorstep as is a train station and reasonably good bus service.

The village caters for most things apart from the weekly grocery shop which takes us to Maynooth.

Couple of Centra's, a tesco express and a few local shops.
    GAA, soccer and athletics clubs.
    5 or 6 Pubs although I have only been in 3 of them, and Greg's would be the pick.

For walking the sli na slaine along the canal banks and donadea forest park are close by. I prefer Casletown Park in Celbridge which is a 10 minute drive.
    Restaurant wise, 2 Chinese, both very good, one europen and a few takeways. O'Keefe's also do pub food.
    Maynooth is 5 minutes up the road and is foodie heaven by all accounts.

Hope this helps and a few other locals come along to balance things out!

M4 motorway is on your doorstep as is a train station and reasonably good bus service.

The village caters for most things apart from the weekly grocery shop which takes us to Maynooth.

5 or 6 Pubs although I have only been in 3 of them, and Greg's would be the pick.

For walking the sli na slaine along the canal banks and donadea forest park are close by. I prefer Casletown Park in Celbridge which is a 10 minute drive.
    Restaurant wise, 2 Chinese, both very good, one europen and a few takeways. O'Keefe's also do pub food.

bRILLIANT...

I've checked out loads of community blogs etc etc and most comments seem positive. Reckon it will be 30min to Ballyfermot (work) max, The wife will get the train(seems a good service) other then that we hope to move in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Rented in Rybridge before and now living in Chambers Park where the quality of the build is far superior. Listening to next door going for a wee in Ryebridge isn't missed! They've got Pyrite problems there now too. Chambers Park and Royal Meadows are grand and close to town too. House Sat in Brayton Park and they were really nice houses tbh.
    Gregory Tavern is a decent spot alright, most likely to find live music there.
    The Lion would be a mostly local pub, Murphys bar would be too, the lounge cosy 80's style is grand for a blow in! O'Keeffe's used to be way busier a few years back, the grub in there is very nice.
    2 Chinese that seem to be doing ok, then Bleu restaurant which is newest and the food is decent enough. 2 Cafe's that are very nice too, Rye River does lovely evening food.
    The train is expensive compared with Maynooth. Kilcock has taken a lot of newcomers on board in recent years so there'd be no problem fitting in. Plenty of sports clubs to get involved in, Good festival activity at the end of June.
    No idea of what rentals are I'm afraid, but I could answer most other questions for you!

SQ2 wrote: »
    Rented in Rybridge before and now living in Chambers Park where the quality of the build is far superior. Listening to next door going for a wee in Ryebridge isn't missed! They've got Pyrite problems there now too. Chambers Park and Royal Meadows are grand and close to town too. House Sat in Brayton Park and they were really nice houses tbh.
    Gregory Tavern is a decent spot alright, most likely to find live music there.
    The Lion would be a mostly local pub, Murphys bar would be too, the lounge cosy 80's style is grand for a blow in! O'Keeffe's used to be way busier a few years back, the grub in there is very nice.
    2 Chinese that seem to be doing ok, then Bleu restaurant which is newest and the food is decent enough. 2 Cafe's that are very nice too, Rye River does lovely evening food.
    The train is expensive compared with Maynooth. Kilcock has taken a lot of newcomers on board in recent years so there'd be no problem fitting in. Plenty of sports clubs to get involved in, Good festival activity at the end of June.
    No idea of what rentals are I'm afraid, but I could answer most other questions for you!

Very helpful thanks a million........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ryebridge is tormented with burglaries and car theft.

They've got Pyrite problems there now too.
    Hadn't heard that, nothing on the web either, do you have a source, a neighbour is considering moving up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

They've got Pyrite problems there now too.
    Hadn't heard that, nothing on the web either, do you have a source, a neighbour is considering moving up there.
    Yeah, a mate lives there and his house is affected unfortunately.

Also my brother. Some much worse than others. They are all joining in some class action or similar. Homebond don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Shout out for Courtown Park :D

Very quiet & settled. Not many kids around & the ones there are very nice (I'm not a parent so not biased). Seems to be mainly cul-de-sacs so it would be dead quiet at night.

You might rent a 2-3 bed semi there for 700-800?

I think the houses in that estate are older (30-40 yrs) than a lot of the other estates. So there is a benefit of good soundproofing but insulation not amazing (depending on the house of course - ask for the energy rating).

Just got a call from the brother. Another attempted breakin last night in Ryebridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Living in Oughterany Village myself.

Kilcock is grand, nice and quiet. Slight problem with teenagers loitering around the place (especially the train station - the new shelter is only up a few months and is already destroyed with graffiti, etc - I've written to Irish Rail about this and they do intend to deploy private security to keep an eye on things).

Apart from that, there's a rugby club out of town, a GAA club in the middle of settled estates, and plenty of places to go walking (I take the dog for a walk along the canal to Maynooth the odd time). A few nice restaurants around the town, as already mentioned. Haven't been out that much since moving in, but the live music in the pub across the road from the bus stop in the town square is nice. One or two café's around town as well.

Kilcock is right on the motorway so if you drive, you're sorted. Maynooth a 5 minute drive for College, good nightlife, and Tesco 24 hour supermarket. Public transport leaves a lot to be desired. The train service could be improved upon in terms of frequency, and ticket prices. If you have an annual Taxsaver ticket, you'll make a huge saving on transport costs though. The Bus Eireann service is also OK, but pretty much non-existant on the weekend. Having said that the fare structures are much fairer if you are only going a short distance. E.g. an adult ticket to Maynooth is around €2.30 on the bus, but on the train, it's over €5. Services in Maynooth are infinitely better (cheaper, more frequent, and you have more choices - Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus, or Irish Rail). Taxis to Maynooth can be had for anything from €10 to €15.

Rents seem to be around €650 to €875 per month on Daft.ie, for 2 - 3 beds.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement