Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patterns / Seasons of stutter control

• 19-02-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I've had a stutter since around 4, sometimes it's prominent, sometimes its not.
    Sometimes after a few beers it goes, sometimes it gets worse.

Sometimes it gets terrible talking to strangers and disappears around friends/family, sometimes it disappears around strangers and is terrible around friends.

No real rhyme or reason..
    But I do find in Spring and around christmas time, It gets much much worse for prolonged periods.

I have kinda embraced it as much as is possible to be honest, It doesn't hold me back, I can see the advantages sometimes, it generally gets people on your side/ out of speeding tickets/ an perhaps people will compromise more than with a non stuttering person.

I'm a head chef, and in service, and in fact in any times of stress, it completely disappears, sometimes in completely relaxed surroundings it completely destroys me.

My friends and I are chronic pisstakers, and my stutter is not off limits to the jokes, I have no problem with that, and that makes me more at ease than it being an elephant in the room.

I just know that over the coming weeks, it will get worse, much worse than usual, and it will fade off after a few weeks, and has done so for years, and return with a vengeance mid december for a few weeks. These periods are in no way more stressful for me than the rest of the year.

Im just wondering, if anybody else has noticed a pattern regarding season/ time and not specific situations ?

Gaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

I can't say I've noticed my stammering change with the seasons.. I have however noticed "periods" of increased stammering, lasting maybe a month or two.
    My friends and I are chronic pisstakers, and my stutter is not off limits to the jokes, I have no problem with that, and that makes me more at ease than it being an elephant in the room.

This is great to hear, I might look into something like this with certain groups of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xeneon

I have noticed that my stammer will vary in severity on a day by day basis. Some days I can talk almost perfectly while others I can barely get a word out.

To be honest I have no idea why it fluctuates. I work in a restaurant as a waiter and it doesn't affect me much any more in work; probably due to constantly having to speak with customers and kind of reiterating the same things over and over. Outside of work it does tend to be worse.

I do notice that if I am frustrated or angry it never affects me which comes in handy when I get into yelling competitions with the chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Xeneon wrote: »
    I have noticed that my stammer will vary in severity on a day by day basis. Some days I can talk almost perfectly while others I can barely get a word out.

To be honest I have no idea why it fluctuates.

Same here , I could never figure out why this happens , for me its nothing to do with stressful situations or feeling at ease because I've had good and bad experiences in both situations. Its purely on a day to day basis , not seasonally for me. Wouldnt you love to find out why some days are '' good days '' and make every day the same :p

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP.. Except I have a stammer..get periods when it's worse and periods when I'm ok no real pattern to... I find that if do not get a lot of sleep it generally does be worse..I work as a barman. I've trained myself to get into a frame of mind that somewhat eliminates my stammer for the most part, although it does still appear now and then in work..

Advertisement