Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

Synode wrote: »
    I've had issues with recordings too. Sound sometimes goes haywire and you have to back out then go back in. Very annoying.

I wonder how close to rolling this out they are, considering people are still having so many issues.

Agreed:). If they can get the recording sorted I can live with the other niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Mixed views on Horizion box so far.
    Problems/Issues:
    Font size tiny on programme info - clock needs to be more prominent.
    EPG scrolling slow, hard to control and little preview screen unnecessary (should be optional)
    Box doesn't display programme as on old one - this was very handy please bring it to Horizon.
    Remote control not very intuitive - too many options for programme control - Back, OK, Menu - all have options.

Recording 4 channels simultaneously great but my experience viewing recordings so far not great.

Agree with these, though I do like the video in the Guide, helps me check the point the programme is at so I know if I want to switch or not. Scrolling is a bit slow, particularly if you want to hold the button to scroll: it lags for 1-2 seconds, then scrolls quickly, but when you stop it keeps going for 1-2 seconds so zooms past your selection.

If you don't want to use the guide, you also can use the channel list (hold Up/Down for about 1 second). Even without the video though, it still doesn't scroll any faster.

My main problem is the lack of consistency in exiting the menus: sometimes the LiveTV button works, but not in the Apps section or the Channel Bar. Sometimes when you hit Back from the Channel Bar it brings you to the Main Menu, other times it brings you to the Guide. If you keep pressing Back from the On Demand, you get stuck in a loop! Why not bring back the "UPC" button? Press that, and you exit all menus, regardless of where you are!!!

Overall I like it! It's still a good deal faster than the old HD box, in switching channels, bringing up the Guide and scrolling through it, shows more information in the Info screen, looks better etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Realistically, what speed would you expect to get on WiFi when getting 150Mb wired?

I'm pretty sure on my old set up I was getting > 60Mb (100Mb wired) but the max I can get now is 35Mb on WiFi. To get that I have change the settings to 802.11n only (which means my iPhone 3GS cannot connect). On a mix of 802.11n and 802.11g I can only get a max of 15Mb. I've messed with channels, changed the Beacon interval, Fragment and RTS thresholds but 35Mb is the max I can get and that's 2 foot from the box. When I go upstairs the speed drops to < 10Mb.

A technician came out and changed the box today as UPC agreed I should be getting more. I wasn't here when he did it but when I got home there was no improvement whatsoever. I'm about ready to throw the towel in.

Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Realistically, what speed would you expect to get on WiFi when getting 150Mb wired?

Anyone any suggestions?

You should be getting at least over 120mb on wifi. Is the box near any cordless phones, a nest of wires, microwave....and other such things? What do you get when connecting via ethernet cable?

150Mb connected. The box is near my UPC phones as they are connected to it. Also a load of wires for TV, NAS, XBox. It's all right beside the TV point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Nathanael Nice Pipe

Is it me or is the horizon box noisy? Even when in standby mode, there's a serious humming noise coming from it.

No noise off mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Another bloody lockup, just about fed up with this new box, very near to reverting to the old box

Lockups
    Dropped WiFi
    Missed recordings
    Sluggish remote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Griffinx wrote: »
    Another bloody lockup, just about fed up with this new box, very near to reverting to the old box

Lockups
    Dropped WiFi
    Missed recordings
    Sluggish remote

I'm the same, haven't really experienced the Wifi drops but the signal is a lot weaker than with my linksys router.

UPC have a long way to go before these boxes are ready to roll out to a wider user base, because as it is they'd be losing a lot of customers due to their inability to provide a acceptable quality of service.

I'm giving mine to the end of the month to improve or it's going back.

4.3kwh South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Remote control today lot of times its freezing its it just mine or has anyone else having problems with there remote today
    Yesterday and before only had odd time it happen but today lot of times its freezing
    There was an update today can upc let us know what each software update is so we can notice if working or any problems are been caused by any updates and what update are and if are bug fixes what are they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Mine was the same - Synology assistant could see it, I could log into it through a browser but couldn't get into it through the Horizon box or my XBox. I rebooted the NAS (from the web browser) and it's now working properly again.

I had a UPC technician out again this morning. WiFi is terrible in the house. Was getting 150Mb wired but only between 10-35Mb on WiFi. Upstairs was never more than 15Mb. On my old set up with a Cisco router I was easily getting between 30 and 60 Mb upstairs. UPC seem to think the Horizon box will give better WiFi signal (it's a question in that survey and the technician also said it) but it's definitely worse. He tinkered around for a bit then said they'll replace the box. It's annoying as I had some stuff recorded I'd like to keep for the kids but it has to be done.

They to;d me the same, had the box replaced last week and surprise the wifi is still crap!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hotfix123

I've had enough of this s**t. Horizan is ridiculous. Constant freeze-ups. At least once a day but sometimes twice or three times a day I have to power off the box and then switch it back on.
    Tonight several of the channels I normally watch were showing "No Signal". BBC1 was showing "Blocked" and asking for a password even though I have set the password requirement to off. I entered what I know to be the correct password and each time it said "incorrect password". After the third time trying it said "try again in 15 minutes" and the box promptly locked up.
    The remote is so slow. Scrolling through channels is a pain because it is so slow and if I try to go any faster the box is guaranteed to lock up. Rubbish.
    I have an Xbox 360. It has apps that work. It even has Internet Explorer for surfing the net. Horizan is way, way behind it.
    Xbox streams music, video and photos flawlessly unlike the Horizan box and Twonkey. Xbox lets me choose music by genre, artist, album or song title. It lets me build and store playlists. It just works unlike Horizan which is beyond basic.
    The broadband is unreliable. I keep getting the "unable to connect" message and, of course, everytime I have to reboot the box the broadband is off-line for several minutes.
    I really really wanted Horizan to be all it promised but it is no where near it and no amount of tinkering is going to solve the problems.
    I've had it a month now and that's enough. Tomorrow morning I'm calling UPC and asking to go back to the old system.
    I'm sorry UPC but I think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one. It just ain't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

paulboland wrote: »
    There was an update today can upc let us know what each software update is so we can notice if working or any problems are been caused by any updates and what update are and if are bug fixes what are they

They wont as they dont give a ****e. Otherwise they would make some official contact channel with us and care what we have to say about their product, which in my case is ****ing frozen again

Does anyone know if there's any update due soon?

Does anyone know if there's any update due soon?
    There was a software update yesterday as in Friday at around 22.00
    what update was don't know that's why I would like UPC to lets us know what each software update is

Ah didn't see your post. Thanks for that info. Notice anything different yet?

We're getting pretty fed up with the horizon box issues. We were thinking of getting Sky before we started the trial and I think it's time to revisit this option. Will ring UPC on Monday to see what they say about cancelling the trial.
    There was a software update yesterday as in Friday at around 22.00
    what update was don't know that's why I would like UPC to lets us know what each software update is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/service_status/

Got the box yesterday not consolidated yet but may roll that dice next week.

Simple trouble free self install and later
    locked up and froze twice, had to reboot it to power it off last night.

Called UPC and got a twonky licence, thanks Niall, ! and was told the update plans are on UPC web site in the FAQ section.

Don't have my login details to hand but this may be a longshot and may have specifics, if it doesn't would be worth asking UPC reps on the talk to forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi all is there any way of resetting the password for logging into the box. On the old router there was a reset button on the back.

I've used the same user name and password on every router I ever owned. I was logging in to this box no prob at the start but over the last two days I can not log in no matter what I try.
    I'm in the middle of factory resetting to see will that revert to admin admin as log in. Something tells me that won't work read the manually but noting in it.

Anybody any ideas

software update on Saturday 8th of June looks as its fixed remote freezing well I hope so as today its been working no problems at all

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi all is there any way of resetting the password for logging into the box. On the old router there was a reset button on the back.

I've used the same user name and password on every router I ever owned. I was logging in to this box no prob at the start but over the last two days I can not log in no matter what I try.
    I'm in the middle of factory resetting to see will that revert to admin admin as log in. Something tells me that won't work read the manually but noting in it.

Anybody any ideas
    Did you already change the login password if you did you will have to remember it as you cant change settings if you forget you will need to contact UPC for them to rest the router to factory reset if user and password still admin admin then do below note only password change be changed user will always be admin
    http://192.168.192.1/
    USER admin
    Password admin
    Click System
    you can change the password to one you want to use
    There is also option to reset the router to Factory Reset and also save Details if you want to and restore from saved back up

• Advertisement

Getting a whopping 7MB (150MB wired) on wireless less than 5 feet away from the box. Does anyone know how I can go back to my old router as the source of broadband but use Horizon for phone and TV?

Getting a whopping 7MB (150MB wired) on wireless less than 5 feet away from the box. Does anyone know how I can go back to my old router as the source of broadband but use Horizon for phone and TV?

Don't think so. I was using the old router, but when they consolidated the Horizon box, it stopped working. Maybe the old router could join the horizon box network though?

@wush06 I'm sure if you ring UPC, they could remotely reset the modem. It's strange there's no reset button on the box.

KenH wrote: »
    You should be getting at least over 120mb on wifi. Is the box near any cordless phones, a nest of wires, microwave....and other such things? What do you get when connecting via ethernet cable?

120Mbps would be pretty exceptional, even on N Wifi. You're doing very well if you're getting that - most devices/setups would max out at around half that.

While I think it's a great box, I really hope it's not going 'live' any time soon, or they'll be murdered by the reaction.

Still lots of new issues popping up: guide appears but is empty, box freezing, picture playing but remote control unresponsive, crash in apps so I can still see the video but the rest of the screen is black (and can't exit out). Still have to reset the box every single morning to get a picture & sound, LOTS of sound blips, some picture breaking up. Audio cuts out on recording (assuming it's a problem with the recording and not original programme as there was no on-screen message apologising for the lack of sound). Reminders never work.

On the plus side, the radio channels are now working! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Has anybody else's box just refused to record shows lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Achilles wrote: »

It seems that when UPC updated the software, it deleted the recording settings so you need to go back in and re-do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

Achilles wrote: »

Things have settled down on my setup. Recording and playback working ok.

I'm getting use to the setup - was verging on going back to old one but will stick it out for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Did you already change the login password if you did you will have to remember it as you cant change settings if you forget you will need to contact UPC for them to rest the router to factory reset if user and password still admin admin then do below note only password change be changed user will always be admin
    http://192.168.192.1/
    USER admin
    Password admin
    Click System
    you can change the password to one you want to use
    There is also option to reset the router to Factory Reset and also save Details if you want to and restore from saved back up

Thanks Paul boland once you said the user name stays the same I got it first go.
    I swear you could change the user name as well sorted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

when i get the twonky key where do i input it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement