Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Stash

• 01-03-2012 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there has been a thread on this before, Mods feel free to delete if so...

But what realistically would you all have stored in your house / apartment right now if Z-Day was just around the corner... in particular what you could keep without arousing suspicions from whoever you live with or neighbours!

I'm talking about what you would have if you needed to hole up for a while... things like:

Tinned Food
    Tinned Fruit
    Bottles of Water
    A little gas cooker
    Matches
    Flashlamp
    etc

What else?! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

shame on me, i dont have a bugout bag.

If it were to all kickoff right now, i have 2 empty 2ltr coke bottles
    a variety of decent kitchen knives
    some year old fireworks
    a semi decent fishing rod and reel, tackle etc..
    and half a tray of budwieser

It's not looking good for me :/ lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

shame on me, i dont have a bugout bag.

If it were to all kickoff right now, i have 2 empty 2ltr coke bottles
    a variety of decent kitchen knives
    some year old fireworks
    a semi decent fishing rod and reel, tackle etc..
    and half a tray of budwieser

It's not looking good for me :/ lol

Lol, maybe we should give ourselves a week to sort it! What would you have then? What do you think you could store that would keep you ticking over while the world goes to hell in a handbasket outside?! :D

Ahh if i had a week and was 100% certain that a zombie outbreak would overwhelm ireland, i've already chosen to stay put and tough it out.

Buy as much tinned food as possible
    stock water, fill bath, sinks, pots and pans
    set up a dew sheet in the garden, and clean the gutters and rig a barrel(s) for water collection
    board up the doors and windows
    soundproof as much of the house as possible with eggcartons
    buy candles
    hit the library for some decent, and probably practical reading for when the power inevitably goes.
    get myself a wind-up radio
    Battery powered torches, batteries
    first aid kit
    warn friends and family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Ahh if i had a week and was 100% certain that a zombie outbreak would overwhelm ireland, i've already chosen to stay put and tough it out.

Buy as much tinned food as possible
    stock water, fill bath, sinks, pots and pans
    set up a dew sheet in the garden, and clean the gutters and rig a barrel(s) for water collection
    board up the doors and windows
    buy candles
    hit the library for some decent, and probably practical reading for when the power inevitably goes.
    get myself a wind-up radio
    Battery powered torches, batteries
    first aid kit
    warn friends and family :)

Yes! Batteries, FAK, Candles! Nice one! Also the soundproofing idea is a great one! I sometimes wonder though once things have settled down after an outbreak would a house that's boarded up become a target for looters and people roaming around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

batm!ke wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder though once things have settled down after an outbreak would a house that's boarded up become a target for looters and people roaming around?

I'd imagine if its any way a pain in the bum to get in they'd just find somewhere easier to steal from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Peetrik wrote: »
    I'd imagine if its any way a pain in the bum to get in they'd just find somewhere easier to steal from.

On the other hand if somebody went to that much trouble, there's differently supplies being stored in there. It's a choice between more effort and more chance of reward versus less effort and less chance of reward.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    On the other hand if somebody went to that much trouble, there's differently supplies being stored in there. It's a choice between more effort and more chance of reward versus less effort and less chance of reward.

I suppose it depends on the location and the mythology you follow. If it's a virus then it would take time to spread from whatever airport/ship port to the boarded up location. During that time its conceivable that there would be enough time for some low-level home fortifications such as boards on windows etc... having boards handy wouldn't automatically mean they also have caches of food/medical or weapons stashed in the house.

You could also argue that if the owner had time to board up the windows they probably also had time to remove anything that was transportable and worth taking from a survival aspect. They just didn't want the property to be easily accessible during their absence.

I'd probably still smash my way in and have a look around though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

If you were sure Z-day was around the corner, why would you care about arousing suspicion? wouldn't you be warning everyone? also during that time you'd have a chance to form alliances; you know, as they say, two heads are better than one. surely two stashes are better than one as well.

unless this is some scenario where no one would believe you if you told them?

I'd probably invest in a good hardy mountain bike, and whatever gear I could tow with it, then head for the hills or somewhere I believed safer (like the countryside, or getting on the ferry to mainland Europe, or something) than staying in little ol' Ireland which would probably become a quarantine zone if it were the epicenter of the infection.

If I were staying put, collecting foods I can safely eat would be high priority, considering I'm celiac and have two other food allergies (soya, dairy)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have some tinned food but for the most part I'm relying on the fact I live in farming country to get me through. There's natural springs all over the place, I can see a cow out my window right now. That's everything I need, water and steak.

Do you know how to butcher a cow, skin it, and retrieve the nutritous meats from the carcass without destroying them? Do you also have a place to store the rest of the carcass so it doesn't go to waste?

Getting meat with no butcher is not a very likely scenario.

• Advertisement

Getting meat with no butcher is not a very likely scenario.

I know your talking about larger animals here but I'd imagine duck, chicken, rabbit etc would be handy enough to kill and prepare. Of course there would be wastage during the learning phase but I'd imagine once you got the hang of it it would just be a matter of progression up to goat, swan, pig etc.

Never hunted myself so I'm just guessing but I'm sure Fenton the dog would be sure to tell you, the hard part will be catching it. In fact harder again would be catching it without all the noise and the smell of blood attracting Z's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Don't think that actually works. I've a few pics of my camping/bops (bug out pouches) in the S&SS forum, astonishing what you can fit into a couple of molle belt bags. I could keep going for two weeks on the go or four weeks sitting down with just whats in there, and probably a lot longer.

I know your talking about larger animals here but I'd imagine duck, chicken, rabbit etc would be handy enough to kill and prepare. Of course there would be wastage during the learning phase but I'd imagine once you got the hang of it it would just be a matter of progression up to goat, swan, pig etc.

Never hunted myself so I'm just guessing but I'm sure Fenton the dog would be sure to tell you, the hard part will be catching it. In fact harder again would be catching it without all the noise and the smell of blood attracting Z's.

I know how to gut fish, but that's the extent of it for me. If you don't have the technique or proper kind of knife, you end up with very little fish, or fish contaminated with guts and scales 'cause you didn't get them all off right.

Had the worst trouble trying to get the skin off a cow tongue once when trying to cook it. Can't imagine trying to get teh skin off a whole cow. For large things like deer and cattle, you need the proper tools, like. And of course technique. Unless you're planning on just hacking a steak-sized piece from the side of the cow and roastin' it over a fire?

trust me, ain't as easy as it seems.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Don't think that actually works. I've a few pics of my camping/bops (bug out pouches) in the S&SS forum, astonishing what you can fit into a couple of molle belt bags. I could keep going for two weeks on the go or four weeks sitting down with just whats in there, and probably a lot longer.

Could ye link us the topic? wouldnt mind seeing it and well yeah.. i'm a lazy git :)

For large things like deer and cattle, you need the proper tools, like. And of course technique. Unless you're planning on just hacking a steak-sized piece from the side of the cow and roastin' it over a fire?

trust me, ain't as easy as it seems.
    I'm sure it's not, we in the west tend to live in ignorance of basic survival skills. You don't need specific tools, people have been eating large animals long before they had the specific tools so you can make do.

I know the basics of gutting things. Take the guts out, but it may take some trial and error. Although I know enough butchers and people that have worked in abattoirs to let them do that work.

Could ye link us the topic? wouldnt mind seeing it and well yeah.. i'm a lazy git :)
    Sure, here's the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056435301

the post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75369364&postcount=21

and the pics:

p1010002gv.jpg

p1010003qiu.jpg

p1010005tt.jpg

So, these two molle pouches, high grade commercial, go on your belt. Contained within them is the following:
    Food bag:
    • Medical supplies
    • rubber gloves
    • water filter (good for around 6 weeks with charcoal, you need that for non bios)
    • bogroll
    • chocolate rations with salt, sugar, pepper and various other condiments
    • platypus water bag as part of the purification system (dirty water->platypus->filter->kelly kettle)
    • water purification tabs (wouldn't use these normally, but they came free with something)
    • 9 days emergency lifeboat rations if you're on the move, two weeks otherwise. They taste a bit like lemon meringue, and I cannot tell you how tired it is possible to get of lemon meringue, so I recommend mixing or crumbling them into coffee or something else after a while. Anything else. Seriously, you start looking speculatively at the moss growing on rocks.
    Utility bag:
    • Multitool
    • Cotton pads for firestarting
    • waterproof NATO matches in a sealed container
    • firesteel heavy
    • waterproof container for normal matches, with lighting strip
    • sapwood wrapped in tinfoil for kindling
    • a couple of bic lighters
    • a few commercial firestarter kindlings
    • tampons for firestarting purposes
    • a pencil stub
    • those three round things are towels packed really tightly
    • anti insect spray
    • superglue
    • three applejack sweets, my favourite
    • two plastic clips for sealing things
    • SAS survival guide, mostly good but some of it is nonsense, be advised
    • duct tape
    • a secondary water filter good for six weeks, with spare filters
    • dual purpose knife sharpener
    • roll of 550 paracord
    • roll of brass wire
    • fishing kit
    • wind up torch
    • storm whistle
    • dedicated signalling mirror with folded tinfoil packed beside it
    • sewing kit
    • compass
    • a dozen safety pins stapled inside the bag
    • all weather emergency blanket
    • greased wiresaw wrapped in greaseproof paper wrapped in tissue
    Not pictured, Brunton stormproof lighter which I use in my everyday routine. I'm thinking about adding some jerky as well. Oops forgot 36 hour Dunne stores candle, and spork. Also I'd normally pack vitamin pills at the top of the food bag, but they have a low shelf life so I just use them as I go. I've since added a folding saw and a couple of petrol lighters (NOT zippo).

that is brilliant! Nice one

Curious though, did you get everything locally or from across the pond?

that is brilliant! Nice one

Curious though, did you get everything locally or from across the pond?
    All sorts of places, the two main ones would be red flare kits and dealextreme though. Also the Great Outdoors supplied me with a few bits and bobs, ah loads of sources built up over time.

There's a good bit more kit than is shown there as well, I picked up a nifty axe/hammer multitool in Lidl, tent, groundmat, ultra compact 4-season sleeping bag, kelly kettle of course, and heaps of those lifeboat rations plus a lot more.

One of these fine days I'll get round to photographing it all and uploading it!

I actually use all this stuff for camping and hiking as it turns out, so its not just prepper madness. :D Plus its always a great idea to crash test all of your kit repeatedly, I've already modified the contents of the bops based on failures or successes of the various pieces of equipment. The Brunton Storm has been ditched for example, that is one fifty euro piece of shite.

The best equipment is right between your ears though. You can bet your life on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Divert an gutter down pipe into bathroom window and Into bath. A near constant supply of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Divert an gutter down pipe into bathroom window and Into bath. A near constant supply of water.

Good idea but you'd need to keep the gutter spotless, which could cause problems depending on the local Z population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Weapons would be a must for me, knives of all sizes, baseball bats and me fathers rifle. Batteries, candles, blackout curtains, books, food lots of food and water and wine bottles and bottles of it. Matches sleeping bags, drums of petrol and a car at the ready. Fuel, binoculars, board games, a cb, a boat to get to clare island and vegetable seeds to be self sufficent long term.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Good idea but you'd need to keep the gutter spotless, which could cause problems depending on the local Z population.
    You'll need to filter and boil all the water you drink anyway, so I can't imagine gutter water would be much different.

You'll need to filter and boil all the water you drink anyway, so I can't imagine gutter water would be much different.

Actually, just on this, I got talking to a woman who works as a chemist in the Environmental protection agency testing public waterways/rivers etc. She was saying that while she wouldn't drink it herself, Ireland actually have some of the cleanest, least polluted rivers in Europe.
    I had always just assumed that with slurry run off, pesitcide spraying, dodgy septic tanks etc our rivers would be lethal but apparently not.

Winning :)

Actually, just on this, I got talking to a woman who works as a chemist in the Environmental protection agency testing public waterways/rivers etc. She was saying that while she wouldn't drink it herself, Ireland actually have some of the cleanest, least polluted rivers in Europe.
    I had always just assumed that with slurry run off, pesitcide spraying, dodgy septic tanks etc our rivers would be lethal but apparently not.

Winning :)
    Most people probably wouldn't be too far from a river source either. If you get near to any hill/mountain you'll probably find a stream somewhere that's a clean as water can get.

Maybe we need a map of clean water locations up here somewhere.

Depends on how the Z infection is spread. If a Zed climbs onto your roof and drools or bleeds in your gutter, well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe we need a map of clean water locations up here somewhere.
    Go find your own ya lazy feck!

Go find your own ya lazy feck!
    I have a 10m by 10m metal tank being continuously feed with fresh spring water. I'm just fine and dandy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Walkie Talkies
    Rechargeable batteries
    Wind up battery charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Just thinking about what we have in the house right now - i think we could survive for quite a while:

Fresh water supply, we have our own well and means to get to the water sans power - and there is a mountain spring a stones throw from the back door. Yay for living up a mountain.

Fair amount of food, tinned and dehydrated, and a monster load in the freezer. So, we'd eat like kings to avoid that going to waste. Then of course there is all the beasties nearby - cows, sheep, chicken, duck, rabbit, pheasant. Fair point about knowing how to butcher a cow, but something that could be learned - the basics stay the same no matter the size of the animal. Loads of nearby farms and a growing vegetable garden. Plus, I have a fair knowledge of what's edible out there in the countryside. A couple of gas bottles, and a camping stove for cooking and/or the actual stove inside the house.

Weapons/home defense: two machetes (used for gardening, we're not psychos) and a whole host of gardening tools, smithing hammers, plus plenty of kitchen knives, and two rather large dogs. Of course, feeding them could be difficult long term, but having them around would probably outweigh the difficulties.

Well stocked first aid, with good supply of painkillers and some generic antibiotics. Basic to adequate first aid training - I could set a bone, clean and stitch a wound, treat for shock etc. without too much trouble. Of course, anything more serious would cause problems.

Transport: this is where we would be in danger. I have two mountain bikes and the means to repair them, but we live on a mountain. Traveling by bike is tough going, and I'm not sure I could outpace a running zombie going up a hill! This coupled with the fact that because we are so remote, any supplies we would need would be a fair distance away (30/40 minutes by car) traveling to and from them would put us in the most amount of danger.

If I had a small bit of notice, I like to think I could stock up on the necessities, swot up on the skills, and be pretty prepared when the proverbial hit the fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement