Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to host to Formula One event! - Next June

• 21-08-2011 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0821/breaking4.html
    CONOR POPE in Rotterdam

Formula One cars will be racing on the streets of Dublin next year in an event which is expected to bring more than a quarter of a million people into the city.

City racing featuring the F1 cars already takes place in Moscow and Rotterdam and yesterday, Barvaria Beer, the event organisers and main sponsors, announced they were adding Dublin to the roster.

The day-long demo will take place on June 3rd next year and the organisers expressed confidence that it would prove to be a significant boost to the local economy and would showcase some of the city's key landmarks to a global audience.

The demonstration race track will start at the Central Bank before passing Trinity College and going down Burgh Quay and crossing the Samuel Beckett bridge. The track ends on Custom House Quay.

City racing, featuring the high powered Formula 1 cars, first took place in 2006 and today close to half a million people turned out in Rotterdam for the event.

'It has been 16 years since Ireland witnessed the excitement of a current F1 car but Bavaria City Racing is about to change that,' said the managing director of the event Gavin Collins.

He praised Dublin City Council and the gardai for the manner in which they embraced the concept and said the track had been specially designed to showcase some of the city's oldest and most modern sites, including Trinity, the Bank of Ireland on College Green, the Custom House and the Convention Centre.

While tickets will be on sale for some sections of the course from tomorrow, 96 per cent of it will be free to spectators, Mr Collins said. Cars from all the main F1 teams will take part and while there will be no competitive edge to the racing he said it would give an Irish audience a real feel for the high octane experience.

Formula One Event 41 votes

Paid to go - Worth it
    0% 0 votes
    Paid to go - Not worth it
    19% 8 votes
    Went for free - Worth it
    26% 11 votes
    Went for free - Not worth it
    53% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

cool nice find thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just read it on the Irish Times website. Can't wait, looks great.

They must be erecting a couple of Grandstands.
    While tickets will be on sale for some sections of the course from tomorrow, 96 per cent of it will be free to spectators
    Wonder if it'd be worthwhile getting a ticket if it guaranteed getting a good view. Suppose it'd depend on price.

Anybody know where they'll be on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just read it on the Irish Times website. Can't wait, looks great.

They must be erecting a couple of Grandstands.

Wonder if it'd be worthwhile getting a ticket if it guaranteed getting a good view. Suppose it'd depend on price.

Anybody know where they'll be on sale?

€70 according to ticketmaster

Think i might be hinting at an early xmas present :D

Really looking forward to this its going to be great seeing an f1 car on the streets of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bit on the high side but I suppose it'd depend on how good the views are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Time for me to make friends with people in college. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

More details here http://www.bavariacityracing.ie/ and a map
    F1_route_phase_2_3_99.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That is great news, delighted that they#re coming to Ireland. I wonder what F1 car/s wil be here though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Got my balcony at the Clarion booked this morning to watch it from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

My office is on the quays so my seating will be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

From the article;
    "'It has been 16 years since Ireland witnessed the excitement of a current F1 car but Bavaria City Racing is about to change that,' said the managing director of the event Gavin Collins."

When did we have the the Ferrari over in the Phoenix Park. Can't have been 16 years ago, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

It depends what he means by current , the Ferrari was a year old if I remember correctly. I think the Renault's were over a few years before. If they mean modern era F1 cars then Dan Daly's car scuppers that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Wasn't there a Williams in the Phoenix Park back in the mid 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

dcr22B wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Williams in the Phoenix Park back in the mid 90s?
    I remember seeing Damon Hill's Williams in 1996. I think that's what they're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

David Kennedy demonstrated a Jordan in Mondello in 1999. I say demonstrate, i think free wheel was probably a better description!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

aphex™ wrote: »
    I remember seeing Damon Hill's Williams in 1996. I think that's what they're referring to.

Think that Was 95 m8

I sat in it the FW16 and met Damon that weekend

Great time although he drove the Spyder and the F1 car was only for show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 StudyMuch

Anyone know when the tickets go on sale? It says on the ticket master website that they were on sale from Sunday 21st Aug...
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Think that Was 95 m8

I sat in it the FW16 and met Damon that weekend

Great time although he drove the Spyder and the F1 car was only for show

jean christophe boullion drove a williams around the pheonix park in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

jean christophe boullion drove a williams around the pheonix park in 1995.

Heinz Harold Frentzen did the same in 94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ConorGM

http://www.bavariacityracing.ie/index.php/ticketed-zones-2

Looks like tickets for O'Connell St. Bridge are sold out. Tickets for Custom House Quay and The Convention Centre don't seem to have gone on sale at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

David Kennedy demonstrated a Jordan in Mondello in 1999. I say demonstrate, i think free wheel was probably a better description!

Couple of (then) recent Tyrrell's demoed at the opening of the international loop too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,617 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I can't make up my mind whether to go to this event or not tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I would be definitely be going except I am heading to Canada for the grand prix a few days later. Dont think my GF would like me to use up my bank holiday before I went looking at more F1 cars !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I wonder how much a paddock pass will cost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

PJTierney wrote: »
    I wonder how much a paddock pass will cost. :)
    As an artist PJ you should be able to get one sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

They were setting up for the official launch of this today in CHQ. Had a rep of Lewis Hamiltons Mclaren on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Does anybody have any idea how long the McLaren will be on display in CHQ or is it gone already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Q: (Naoise Holohan - Manipe F1) Jenson, you’re visiting Ireland next summer for the Dublin F1 street demo on June 3. Are you looking forward to the trip and have you any sightseeing planned? A few pints of Guinness perhaps?

JB: Wow, I normally don’t plan that far ahead. I’m glad. I actually did know I was going. Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. It’s a fun city, I’ve been there a few times before and always had a good time. Yeah, looking forward to the experience, and hopefully [I’ll] have a lot of support there. Looking at all the Tweets that I’ve had about it, there’s a lot of interest so I’m looking forward to it.

LH: Are you going to keep your moustache for that?

JB: I’m not sure actually. My missus likes it so I might just carry it. I’ve got to shave it off tomorrow or else I might stick it to something so I can put it back on. It takes me a while to grow it.
    Been a while since Ireland was mentioned in F1 press conferences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I was there for that. Didn't think it was that long ago??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chris_c

**** me 165 euro for a ticket in the paddock i got a weekend pass for the spanich GP for 10 euro less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

i cant wait to see this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement