Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 splnaiven

Raedwald wrote: »
    Folks as the says you can rant, bitch and moan all you like.

It ain't gonna change the fact that it ain't gonna ever change. People having been reserving/holding/hogging seats in the libraries around college since they opened.

Me, I'm perfectly happy with system, the rules arn't enforced but by and large it works. I for one leave my stuff lying there all day and come as go as i please.

You come, get set up and study to your natural rhythm for some people that is hours on end for others it in short burst.

Complaining about people leaving their stuff at a desk all day? Get over yourself and get in early and then it wont be a problem.

This man speaketh truth. You're all idiots. Either get there early and claim a desk or join the rest of us non-early birds in the Berkeley. Either way STFU.

Of course you could just swan in there at midday like you own the place and move everyone else's stuff, but make sure you take a video of yourselves being punched in the face and post it on YouTube for our amusement

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

splnaiven wrote: »
    This man speaketh truth. You're all idiots. Either get there early and claim a desk or join the rest of us non-early birds in the Berkeley. Either way STFU.

Of course you could just swan in there at midday like you own the place and move everyone else's stuff, but make sure you take a video of yourselves being punched in the face and post it on YouTube for our amusement

Punching someone in the face in the library would be rather silly, lots of witnesses, CCTV. It's really a civil/criminal assault case waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

All you've established is that there are people who are less considerate than you. That doesn't negate the fact that even if you're only gone for half an hour three times a day, that's an hour and a half your desk went unused.

Ah now, I think there's a difference between a couple of short breaks and leaving your stuff on a table and fecking off for three or four hours. I've seen people leave books/umbrellas/coats in the library in the morning and not show up again til mid-afternoon. Other people who come in after you might only want the desk for an hour or two and be gone before you come back - but they can't.

I know "it happens everywhere" and "people have been doing it for years" - but that doesn't make it right either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

2 things:

Twice this week I've come into Ussher after noon and found a free desk in no time.

I am currently on level 4 of the Ussher and there are more empty seats than filled ones. One entire row of desks is covered in books with not one person sitting at it. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

splnaiven wrote: »

1) A person who arrives at an arbitrary time and clears off a desk that's not being used by anybody and avails of a library that is open to all Trinity students.

2) A person who reserves a table and takes hour-long breaks, expecting other library users to stand by and accomodate them while they're gone.

Which of these two swans around as if they own the place and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

People taking up two spaces in the library is even more annoying.

Ah now, I think there's a difference between a couple of short breaks and leaving your stuff on a table and fecking off for three or four hours. I've seen people leave books/umbrellas/coats in the library in the morning and not show up again til mid-afternoon. Other people who come in after you might only want the desk for an hour or two and be gone before you come back - but they can't.

I'm well aware that some people throw their coat on a chair in the morning and then leave for hours on end, but I don't see how that makes it ok to leave for three half-hour breaks. Either way you're reserving a seat that you don't own.

What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

It's 9 30, second floor ussher has as many empty spaces with book on them as I've seen this week. Ridicolous..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Books that are there to say 'this desk is mine', or just lying there/closed with no notes, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm well aware that some people throw their coat on a chair in the morning and then leave for hours on end, but I don't see how that makes it ok to leave for three half-hour breaks. Either way you're reserving a seat that you don't own.

What's the difference?
    The time for which the desk is not in use, clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What's with the water pressure in the fountains the last few week? It takes ages just to fill a small bottle.

Books that are there to say 'this desk is mine', or just lying there/closed with no notes, etc?
    Books that say this desk is mine. In my row right now there's three emoty desks, the row in front of me has three out of 6 empty, one of them I haven't seen yet today, another left an hour ago. Can't say me being on boards is much better, but at least I'm using the space.
    The time for which the desk is not in use, clearly.
    Not necessarily. Is it better to leave your desk reserved for an hour and a half in the morning, or an hour and a half throughout the day? It's a wasted desk for an hour and a half during the day either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Groinshot wrote: »

Not necessarily. Is it better to leave your desk reserved for an hour and a half in the morning, or an hour and a half throughout the day? It's a wasted desk for an hour and a half during the day either way.
    I was responding to a scenario where the desk was either unoccupied for "hours on end" or a total of 1.5 hours in the day, where the difference is the length of time for which the desk is unoccupied. Hence my answer. I don't see how this is disputable.

Anyway, for what it's worth I was actually in the library (Hamilton, in case it's not already obvious I'm some description of scientist) yesterday, and while there were numerous desks unoccupied for at least an hour in my vicinity (I wasn't really counting but it seemed about that long), I also didn't see very many people coming in looking for desks. Perhaps they don't even try because they already know it's futile, but the library wasn't actually at maximum capacity.

On another note, it's always funny how the rant thread turns into "giving out about the library" at exam time. Not surprising of course, but so predictable.

Lawliet wrote: »
    What's with the water pressure in the fountains the last few week? It takes ages just to fill a small bottle.

Yeah, +1 one on that.

Was in the BLU for the first time since 2007 yesterday doing some study, am I losing it or did there used to be a water fountain somewhere? Used one in the Arts Block instead.

There's a guy, has been in here every day this week before me, leaves at ten am, comes back around 11:15, leaves at 11:30 and comes back when I;m on lunch, and leaves again around 2, and picks up his stuff at like half 5...
    What a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

'Sniffers' in the library. Blow your nose god damn it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kez1

what really písses me off... People spending their whole time on facebook. Now I know it's a stressful time and all, but taking up a space and spending four hours (as the guy next to me did today) facebook chatting... WTF??

It's unfair on those coming in looking for a place to STUDY as the 24hr room is meant to be used. Also it's extremely distracting for others. I had to turn away from him cos it was distracting. I don't mind a few mins but seriously, four hours? Just go home and sit the repeats.

I was responding to a scenario where the desk was either unoccupied for "hours on end" or a total of 1.5 hours in the day, where the difference is the length of time for which the desk is unoccupied. Hence my answer. I don't see how this is disputable.

I get that the length of time is the difference, but what I was looking for was an explanation of how an hour and a half is acceptable to some people here as an amount of time to leave your desk, whereas many hours is completely inconsiderate. I'm genuinely interested as to what the reasoning is (other than the shorter time is the amount of time they like to take).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

I get that the length of time is the difference, but what I was looking for was an explanation of how an hour and a half is acceptable to some people here as an amount of time to leave your desk, whereas many hours is completely inconsiderate. I'm genuinely interested as to what the reasoning is (other than the shorter time is the amount of time they like to take).

I'd like to suggest that the matter is not so much the total amount of time spent on breaks in a single day, but more whether that time is reasonable. I have no problem with someone taking short breaks every few hours because there's nothing wrong with taking a little bit of time to recover and refuel before going back to work. The issue with someone who takes one hour-long break over the course of an entire day is that it's no longer taking a quick breather, but is now a major gap in the desk's usage, at which point it's no longer reasonable to expect someone else not to use it. In that sense, the two partitions (the first a number of short breaks and the second one long break) are not equivalent.

Mind you, a break for half an hour is in taking the piss territory. Anything beyond twenty minutes is really pushing it.

That zero instead of the O in the Library's "ATTENTI0N" sign really annoys me every time I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Non-library-related rant... I hate people who go through the 10-items-or-less self-service tills with a weeks's worth of shopping. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Non-library-related rant... I hate people who go through the 10-items-or-less self-service tills with a weeks's worth of shopping. :mad:

...or get surprised when asked to pay for said goods at at cashier till, fumble for change, then choose to pay with a card (whose PIN they forget)....(as queue of muderous people mount slowly but surely behind them).

G'day Mates,

The names Johnno, and I hate every single one of youse. All of youse are dipstick, bogan, bludgers who spend every second of their day looking at stupid arse pictures. You are everything **** in the world. True Blue, have any of you ever had a root? I mean, I reckon it's fun taking the piss out of people because of your own bull****, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even more ****ed than **** to pictures on facebook.

Don't be a ****in' swagman. Just hit me full on deadset. I'm pretty much Fair dinkum. I was captain of the footy team, and I'm built like a brick ****house. What sports do you play, other than "Crack a fat to naked drawn Chinkys"? I also can skull a whole longneck in 10 seconds, and have a beaut sheila (We just had a root; **** was SO cash). You are all dole bludgers who should just go the outback with no water. Thanks for lending an ear.

Pic Related: It's me and me sheila

Xn9tm.jpg

G'day Mates,

The names Johnno, and I hate every single one of youse. All of youse are dipstick, bogan, bludgers who spend every second of their day looking at stupid arse pictures. You are everything **** in the world. True Blue, have any of you ever had a root? I mean, I reckon it's fun taking the piss out of people because of your own bull****, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even more ****ed than **** to pictures on facebook.

Don't be a ****in' swagman. Just hit me full on deadset. I'm pretty much Fair dinkum. I was captain of the footy team, and I'm built like a brick ****house. What sports do you play, other than "Crack a fat to naked drawn Chinkys"? I also can skull a whole longneck in 10 seconds, and have a beaut sheila (We just had a root; **** was SO cash). You are all dole bludgers who should just go the outback with no water. Thanks for lending an ear.

Pic Related: It's me and me sheila

Xn9tm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

So good it was posted twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I must admit I was reading that in a stereotypical aussie voice in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Very good post for a kangaroo. Who's the Sheila in the baseball cap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Why do people think it's okay to come into a room where the door is closed and then leave it open? Not only is there noise in the corridors, but it's freezing in here, the extra draft is not necessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back to the no motivation routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just one exam left :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement