Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

• 01-05-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Hey folks
    Me and a good friend are going to develop an android app for an Irish audience (he's the guy who developed dublinbikes2go and dublinbus2go and the Dublin bus Layar, and a boardsie though I can't remember his username). I thought I would put it to this forum: What android apps would be welcome in Ireland?

Someone mentioned GAA scores before but there's no up to date source of these apparently. Public transport is mostly covered. I think it might be useful to highlight needed apps in a general sense in case anyone comes across this.

I haven't explored the App Store so I don't really know what iTunes has to offer to Ireland.

A general idea is the sort of thing you can get on the web but is fiddly to use on a phone - to access information or share, and especially the sort of information that's useful "on the go".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I don't think Public Transport really is covered. Just the Dublin areas one. I'd love to see a Bus Eireann & Irish Rail app.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭alanc2003

Id love to have a radio app with all the irish radio stations no radio on my x10 which is slightly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I second the Bus Eireann and Irish Rail requests also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Maybe a medical one listing hospitals and doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

squire23 wrote: »
    I don't think Public Transport really is covered. Just the Dublin areas one. I'd love to see a Bus Eireann & Irish Rail app.
    Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I second the Bus Eireann and Irish Rail requests also

Best idea id say, especially since your friend already has experience with this general idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

AA roadwatch or traffic alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Vodafone/o2/meteor/3 app to check remaining minutes/texts/data etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Vodafone/o2/meteor/3 app to check remaining minutes/texts/data etc

That would be great in a 1x1 or 2x1 widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Suggested it in another thread but an app for the RTE Player would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Would also like an app for mins/texts used every month and an rte player one would be cool too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

An app that lets me use links such as megavideo so that I wan watch my favourite programes when im bored

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

An app that makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

How about an entertainment app? Like gigs and events, exhibitions etc. (I assume there isn't one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

mooneyd wrote: »
    An app that lets me use links such as megavideo so that I wan watch my favourite programes when im bored

Skyfire

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Bus eireann and rail sounds like a very good idea actually. The websites are a little hard to scrape but I will start looking into it.

We are already looking into rte player but it looks like the streams are encrypted. However I am sure they are using the same player as another foreign network that somebody has used so tracking that down is the key. Having the player on the go to would be amazing, assuming it would be legal to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

A cinema app with movie times and directions to the nearest cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

If rte offer it to tiewers i can't
    see a issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

neacy69 wrote: »

Already exists, its called IRL Cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

How about an entertainment app? Like gigs and events, exhibitions etc. (I assume there isn't one.)

I run goldenplec.com which is gig news and competitions and festival news etc and occasional reviews.

I want to do an android app, i just havnt got a a chance to try sit down and even try a hello world app with android

willing to work with anyone who wants to create such an app for gig news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A carzone app would be ideal as their mobile site is sh1te

EPM wrote: »
    A carzone app would be ideal as their mobile site is sh1te

Good idea and a daft property one also.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I suppose a job app would be really useful. Updating with new jobs from jobs.ie/fas/irishjobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Already exists, its called IRL Cinema

I cant find this. Is it a paid app?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

neacy69 wrote: »

The Flixter Movies app has the nearby cinemas and directions in it I think

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Irish TV Listings would be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thomasoreilly

I know there is a app for lotto numbers, but would it be poossible to do something like the barcode scanner apps, it would scan the ticket and automagically let you know if win/lose, as opposed to manually matching up numbers. Just like the ones in the shops, but on your phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

How about an app for Irish Times/Independent website content that can be set to auto sync over night and pull down all the news content allowing offline browsing. Perfect for commuting etc.

There is one for the Guardian UK (called Guardian Anywhere i believe) that does all that, but would obviously prefer an Irish based one. Not sure though what the story is with copyright etc for something like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I know there is a app for lotto numbers, but would it be poossible to do something like the barcode scanner apps, it would scan the ticket and automagically let you know if win/lose, as opposed to manually matching up numbers. Just like the ones in the shops, but on your phone...

Even better if it worked before the draw :)

Just tried reading the barcode on a quickpick. It worked (as in, I could read in the numbers), but I remember from operating a lotto terminal that it had to upload the numbers to the lottery people by ISDN. The barcode isn't a hash of the numbers, it's a unique serial for the ticket. A hacked lottery terminal would be a useful backend but I doubt that would be all that legal.

So it would be necessary to recognise the numbers via OCR on the ticket and check them against http://www.lotto.ie/en/Home/Accessible-Results/

Looking for a free OCR Library now!
    daft property one also.
    Daft actually do a Layar and they have an iPhone app (a friend of mine does the voiceover for the ad!). I'd say they have their own Android app in the works if the phones get popular enough
    If rte offer it to tiewers i can't
    see a issue

True, but companies do tend to get upset about this. Dublin Bikes got upset about the iPhone app even though it was benefitting the consumers.
    How about an app for Irish Times/Independent website content that can be set to auto sync over night and pull down all the news content allowing offline browsing. Perfect for commuting etc.

There is one for the Guardian UK (called Guardian Anywhere i believe) that does all that, but would obviously prefer an Irish based one. Not sure though what the story is with copyright etc for something like that though.

This should be doable via RSS using other apps but for non-geeks it would be handy to have one with only the Irish papers. There's no issue with copyright if the phone itself is downloading the pages (it's acting as an RSS reader for a feed they themselves make public)

Daft actually do a Layar and they have an iPhone app (a friend of mine does the voiceover for the ad!). I'd say they have their own Android app in the works if the phones get popular enough

Layer is good but an app the exact same as the iphone one would be good. Hopefully they look at one for Android too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just tried reading the barcode on a quickpick. It worked (as in, I could read in the numbers), but I remember from operating a lotto terminal that it had to upload the numbers to the lottery people by ISDN. The barcode isn't a hash of the numbers, it's a unique serial for the ticket. A hacked lottery terminal would be a useful backend but I doubt that would be all that legal.

So it would be necessary to recognise the numbers via OCR on the ticket and check them against http://www.lotto.ie/en/Home/Accessible-Results/

Looking for a free OCR Library now!

I've already looked into this and contacted the Lotto's IT department about it.

It's impossible to do without access to the Lotto's secure database, the barcode on the ticket only contains a pointer to a position in the database where the info is held.

And the general public dont have access as it would be pretty easy to "win" the lotto then ;)

An official app from the Lotto is on the way including scanning for iPhone and Android anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

koolkid wrote: »
    Irish TV Listings would be a good one.

I know it is limited, but TellyZap (Lite and Pro) are in the market.
    Lite is free and will show todays programmes. Pro will show you 1 week programming.

Hint: both Lite and Pro will see an update in the next 10 days :)

Advertisement