Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand made decorations/gifts etc; list your ideas here!

• 13-08-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I have decided that this is the year I am going to make some of my own Christmas decorations. I am fairly ‘artistically challenged’ so normally crafts are out of my comfort zone, but I was thinking of starting off with something fairly simple like this:

http://inmyownstyle.com/2011/12/tabletop-knitting-needle-ornament-tree.html

I might try and make my own festive log ornament as well, and if I’m feeling brave, maybe a candle holder/decoration.

Maybe someone can suggest easy instructions to follow, or anyone else planning to home make anything this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks so cool!! So festive and the colours of the baubles are lovely - the purple and silver :-) you should def make something like that! Fair play to you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Wow OP that looks brilliant.
    It's such a clever idea.
    I have a lot of these things - search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=yarn%20cones&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#p=0

they're used for holding yarn and they are perfect for making Christmas trees. I just need to find the time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Oh God, this is earlier than usual for me. I'm getting the urge... the urge to start creating Christmassy things! I cant even discuss it with anyone because they'll all think I'm mad! :p I plan on starting early this year as I've found there's no time for this sort of thing in December.

I made a Bauble wreath last year, a bit similar to that tree! A wire hanger, bent into a circle (leaving enough room to 'hook' at the ends) and just pile a load of coloured baubles on.

0ABE47D74BD34E3E8493BCEF8788FE16-0000317259-0002636186-00500L-21057A5FA5C743AAB30F39E2D134BFA3.jpg

The year before that I made baubles for the tree, which you can kinda see in this photo. They're the big ones! Made with polystyrene balls, felt, some ribbon and some pearl headed pins.

03280858C96249AAA0110BA64AEBB083-0000317259-0002976806-00800L-13E00A1BDBA341FA8259ABC1D3F36C7A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

These are great ideas.

I made a wreath last year but it didn't look half as good. I found a green plastic circle thing ( it was a card holder from one of the Euroshops) - it was about 12" diameter and had a hole thru the centre. I wrapped some tinsel around it and then pinned some baubles to it.
    But I think I will use ur idea this year, Alicat.

I have loads of tutorials for Christmas stuff so once I get onto a proper computer I will link them here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Alicat wrote: »
    Oh God, this is earlier than usual for me. I'm getting the urge... the urge to start creating Christmassy things! I cant even discuss it with anyone because they'll all think I'm mad! :p I plan on starting early this year as I've found there's no time for this sort of thing in December.

I made a Bauble wreath last year, a bit similar to that tree! A wire hanger, bent into a circle (leaving enough room to 'hook' at the ends) and just pile a load of coloured baubles on.

0ABE47D74BD34E3E8493BCEF8788FE16-0000317259-0002636186-00500L-21057A5FA5C743AAB30F39E2D134BFA3.jpg

The year before that I made baubles for the tree, which you can kinda see in this photo. They're the big ones! Made with polystyrene balls, felt, some ribbon and some pearl headed pins.

03280858C96249AAA0110BA64AEBB083-0000317259-0002976806-00800L-13E00A1BDBA341FA8259ABC1D3F36C7A.jpg
    Don't worry Alicat, you're among friends here, I don't think it's one bit mad to start thinking about Christmas in August :P.

That wreath is fantastic! That honestly looks as good as anything you'd buy. I need to start picking up some nice baubles for these kind of projects.

• Advertisement

Alicat those tree decorations are amazing!! They are like something you'd buy in Brown Thomas!

These are great ideas.

I made a wreath last year but it didn't look half as good. I found a green plastic circle thing ( it was a card holder from one of the Euroshops) - it was about 12" diameter and had a hole thru the centre. I wrapped some tinsel around it and then pinned some baubles to it.
    But I think I will use ur idea this year, Alicat.

I have loads of tutorials for Christmas stuff so once I get onto a proper computer I will link them here

I had a quick glance on youtube last night so I think there's plenty of inspiration online!

Just one thing to note about the wreath; With so many baubles packed onto the wire, some of the pins can pop out, causing the baubles to fall off. It's recommended to take a bit of extra time beforehand to glue the pins to the bauble to make sure they stay put! Bought my glue gun last year and I love it :D
    ncmc wrote: »
    Don't worry Alicat, you're among friends here, I don't think it's one bit mad to start thinking about Christmas in August :P.

That wreath is fantastic! That honestly looks as good as anything you'd buy. I need to start picking up some nice baubles for these kind of projects.

Thanks! :o I gave that one to my gran last year so I'm going to give it another go this year!

Yeah the boyfriend thinks I'm nuts already... I better make sure I leave all my crafts for when he's out of the house!
    leahyl wrote: »
    Alicat those tree decorations are amazing!! They are like something you'd buy in Brown Thomas!

Haha, maybe not if you saw them up close! :p But sure who's looking! :D Some of them didn't turn out as well as others, but you learn as you go along. I got the general idea from the Better Homes website and then just tweaked it depending on what supplies I could get.

Just had another idea actually! I was going to attempt Découpage this year, and I think I'll try it on some wooden letters I saw in Hickeys last year. Make 'Christmas' or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

here's a quick idea for those who don't have time to make centerpieces.

If you are hosting dinner and have no centerpiece, simply get a large wineglass, fill with red/green flowers and a little sparkle. Turn the glass upside down on the table so the flowers and sparkle are trapped under the glass. Place a candle onto of the upturned wine glass with a little thread of beads. Light. Voila - a lovely simple inexpensive centerpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

That's one gorgeous tree, Alicat :eek:

If you could find some vintage themed wrapping paper it would make lovely Découpage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Just had another idea actually! I was going to attempt Découpage this year, and I think I'll try it on some wooden letters I saw in Hickeys last year. Make 'Christmas' or something.

I love DECOUPAGE. I had a go at it last year. I got the special paper in Hickeys and covered a Celebrations box from Christmas in some cute flowery paper.
    The decoupage paper is much easier to use than normal paper. So I would get some of it. Although I havent tried wrapping paper - that might work out too.
    The thinner the paper the better.

Do you ever look at Kirstie Allsop? She did a crafty TV programme and she had this girl on who made animals out of rolled up bits of newspaper. She decoupaged over them and they looked fantastic.

How to make Christmas icicles:
    http://www.halloween-christmas-crafts-etc.com/Christmas-Icicles.html

How to make 3D snowflakes
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-3D-Paper-Snowflake

I looooove Kirsty Allsopp's craft shows, especially the Christmas ones! :D They're filming a series at the moment!

I was thinking some cheapy baubles would look lovely with Christmas sheet music découpaged on to them. Just have to find ones thin enough!

It's nearly time for the Better Homes & Gardens '100 Days of Holidays' email subscription! Every day they send you an email with craft and food ideas! Some are very American and a bit silly but it's a bit of fun

First attempt at decoupage underway. I'm practising on a plain old bauble with some wrapping paper just to see how it turns out. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

First attempt at decoupage underway. I'm practising on a plain old bauble with some wrapping paper just to see how it turns out. Fingers crossed!

For a second I thought you said "decoupage underwear". :o Anyway let us know how it goes, I'd love to try it too!

suomi wrote: »

For a second I thought you said "decoupage underwear". :o Anyway let us know how it goes, I'd love to try it too!

Ha, well I think they would be rather uncomfortable! :D I've to finish it tonight so I'll post a pic when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think I'm going to include some food gifts this year, a little parcel of yummy things. Problem is, I can't really cook :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Whispered wrote: »
    I think I'm going to include some food gifts this year, a little parcel of yummy things.

That's a really good idea!! Homemade treats, like cookies, brownies or muffins, or things that aren't so sweet :P

Whispered wrote: »
    I think I'm going to include some food gifts this year, a little parcel of yummy things. Problem is, I can't really cook :rolleyes:
    I hear you Whispered! I am a total domestic terrorist when it comes to cooking and baking, but like you, I aspire to homemade foodie yummyness! I am going to try these over the weekend, so will let you know how I get on. They look pretty straightforward
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_marshmallow_14263

I can vouch for these cookies, they are yummy and so simple, even I can make them! The best thing about them is that the longer you chill the dough, the better they are, and you can even freeze the dough, so they can be made weeks in advance and baked the day before. Maybe wrapped up in some celophane and tied with a bow? You can experiment with the chocolate chips, I use Galaxy hazelnut nyom nyom nyom. I would def cut the sugar a bit in them,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337536

Kirsty Allsop made some lovely looking pickles in her Handmade Christmas programme a couple of years ago, again, they look simple enough and can be made in advance to intend to try some of those this year.
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/how-to/how-to-make-chutney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi all, just came across this thread, my name is clappyhappy and I am a christmas nut.. ;)
    My friends and I have stopped buying each other gifts about 3 years ago and we decided to make our gifts instead. We all have different talents, baking, cooking, decorating etc. My bible is Nigella Lawsons christmas book. I usually make up a batch of her sweet chilli jam, it looks so festive, specs of green and red chillis in a flaming red jam just looks so good in little kilner jars. I buy a yard or two of festive cloth and use that to "cap" the jars.
    Another easy gift idea is seasoned salt, just need rock salt, dried chilli pieces, some pink peppercorns and crushed black peppercorns. Mix all together and put into jars. look great and cheap to make. Another is spiced sugar, scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod, mix with sugar, so you can see the black seeds but not too many. I usually add in a star anais, put it in front of jar, so you can see it from the outside, and a couple of cloves. Again looks great, and can be used to make custard, or to sprinkle over pudding or tarts during the festive season.
    I also make shortbread, white chocolate cookies, just can't think now. Put in a basket with a bottle of home made sloe gin, merry christmas to be had by all ;)
    But most stuff can be made in advance, making my chilli jam tomorrow, yum yum.

• Advertisement

ncmc, love the christmas bauble, might give that a shot this year, not very artistic but it looks easy enough.
    The wreath looks great too, might surprise my friends this year with something like this. thanks guys, great thread.

Hi all, just came across this thread, my name is clappyhappy and I am a christmas nut.. ;)
    My friends and I have stopped buying each other gifts about 3 years ago and we decided to make our gifts instead. We all have different talents, baking, cooking, decorating etc. My bible is Nigella Lawsons christmas book. I usually make up a batch of her sweet chilli jam, it looks so festive, specs of green and red chillis in a flaming red jam just looks so good in little kilner jars. I buy a yard or two of festive cloth and use that to "cap" the jars.
    Another easy gift idea is seasoned salt, just need rock salt, dried chilli pieces, some pink peppercorns and crushed black peppercorns. Mix all together and put into jars. look great and cheap to make. Another is spiced sugar, scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod, mix with sugar, so you can see the black seeds but not too many. I usually add in a star anais, put it in front of jar, so you can see it from the outside, and a couple of cloves. Again looks great, and can be used to make custard, or to sprinkle over pudding or tarts during the festive season.
    I also make shortbread, white chocolate cookies, just can't think now. Put in a basket with a bottle of home made sloe gin, merry christmas to be had by all ;)
    But most stuff can be made in advance, making my chilli jam tomorrow, yum yum.

I have that book too clappyhappy! I just love looking through it as it's so colourful and festive but I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by some of the recipes! Must try more this year! The white chocolate and cranberry cookies are lovely - made them a few years back:o

leahyl wrote: »
    I have that book too clappyhappy! I just love looking through it as it's so colourful and festive but I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by some of the recipes! Must try more this year! The white chocolate and cranberry cookies are lovely - made them a few years back:o

Some of my family members, (who aren't best known as kitchen goddess's) have tried and mastered nearly all her recipies. There really is nothing to be intimidated about from it. Just follow step by step and you will be fine ;)

My sister made the mulled cider last christmas morning and it was fabulous, needed a bit of dilution though, you would be on your ear for the day if you drank it as it was :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hi clappyhappy. *waves* :)

Posy wrote: »
    Hi clappyhappy. *waves* :)

Hi posy, have become all excited and christmassy since seeing this thread. So happy there are more "christmas crackers" out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FoxyChickaTee

I love this idea!! This will be my first christmas in my own place so I have to start from scratch with the decorations!! Its very exciting... definatley making that bauble wreath..any more tips?? :)

I love this idea!! This will be my first christmas in my own place so I have to start from scratch with the decorations!! Its very exciting... definatley making that bauble wreath..any more tips?? :)

Gosh, I've only had two Christmases at this handmade stuff myself so I'm still very green! Craft websites and YouTube are your friends though! :)

I attempted the découpage on a cheap bauble, with some of last years wrapping paper and it looked alright, if a little rough around the edges (note to self, use smaller pieces of paper so they sit smoothly on the curved surface). Then I got too big for my boots! :P After watching a few tutorials on YouTube, they suggested putting a light covering of glitter on the bauble, just to give it a sparkle. It ruined it! It stuck in big clumps on the glue and no amount of 'gentle sanding' afterwards could rescue it! Afterwards, I practised on some pieces of paper and I think my first mistake was buying cheap Euro shop glitter. You need a nice fine glitter from the craft shop, and sprinkle it ever so lightly across the wet glue.

I decided to go back to basics then, and découpaged clear plastic plates (€1.99 for 6 in HomeStore & More), and small glass candle plates (€1.99 each in HomeStore) to get some practice. They turned out O.K. and it's cute to have some personalised things on the table. I can see how it can be a beautiful craft when done properly. Definitely worth a try for everyone, and it's not super expensive. The Mod Podge glue was about €6 in the Art N Hobby store, and the brush about €2. You can use wrapping paper, or Christmas paper napkins that you have in the house, or buy proper decoupage paper. For me, I think I need a bit more practice! I'm going to go back to the polysterene balls next week I think, my comfort zone :D

Plastic Plate
    4DC5D911AD0C42989C6F11686869EBE5-0000317259-0003038723-00500L-CCF01F1307724C4EA9DF163F1FAB532B.jpg

Candle Dish
    A64A58AEF5524D7D9B871C15893C6033-0000317259-0003038721-00500L-DE92DB365955455280035EF1E68E92DE.jpg

Gosh, I've only had two Christmases at this handmade stuff myself so I'm still very green! Craft websites and YouTube are your friends though! :)

I attempted the découpage on a cheap bauble, with some of last years wrapping paper and it looked alright, if a little rough around the edges (note to self, use smaller pieces of paper so they sit smoothly on the curved surface). Then I got too big for my boots! :P After watching a few tutorials on YouTube, they suggested putting a light covering of glitter on the bauble, just to give it a sparkle. It ruined it! It stuck in big clumps on the glue and no amount of 'gentle sanding' afterwards could rescue it! Afterwards, I practised on some pieces of paper and I think my first mistake was buying cheap Euro shop glitter. You need a nice fine glitter from the craft shop, and sprinkle it ever so lightly across the wet glue.

I decided to go back to basics then, and découpaged clear plastic plates (€1.99 for 6 in HomeStore & More), and small glass candle plates (€1.99 each in HomeStore) to get some practice. They turned out O.K. and it's cute to have some personalised things on the table. I can see how it can be a beautiful craft when done properly. Definitely worth a try for everyone, and it's not super expensive. The Mod Podge glue was about €6 in the Art N Hobby store, and the brush about €2. You can use wrapping paper, or Christmas paper napkins that you have in the house, or buy proper decoupage paper. For me, I think I need a bit more practice! I'm going to go back to the polysterene balls next week I think, my comfort zone :D

Plastic Plate
    4DC5D911AD0C42989C6F11686869EBE5-0000317259-0003038723-00500L-CCF01F1307724C4EA9DF163F1FAB532B.jpg

Candle Dish
    A64A58AEF5524D7D9B871C15893C6033-0000317259-0003038721-00500L-DE92DB365955455280035EF1E68E92DE.jpg
    They look amazing Alicat! You have a real knack for this stuff. Unfortunately I am a bit more challenged when it comes to crafts, so that looks a bit too advanced for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FoxyChickaTee

I love those and there is very little cost in making them which like :) i will make an attempt at the wreath and the plate next week when i get supplies and take a picture of my effort to show you! Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Here's an idea for people who say they can't cook :)

Chocolate biscuit cake

Get a baking tin - I use an 8 inch one
    Break up some digestive biscuits into small pieces - enough to fill the tin about halfway up, but don't pack them too tightly to make sure the chocolate can get between them to form the cake
    Melt a 200g bar of Bourneville with about an ounce of butter (put some water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil, and put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over it until it all melts and stir it together)
    Take the chocolate off the heat and stir in about half a tin of Carnation condensed milk
    Pour the chocolate mixture over the biscuits
    Pop in the fridge until it's hard
    Cut into pieces

I tried it with ginger nuts instead of digestives once - it tasted divine but the pieces were very gooey so if you're trying that, I'd suggest putting in less than half a tin of carnation milk (I put in a full tin and had to serve them in bun cases so people didn't end up with sticky fingers), so if you're trying that, do a practice batch!

Advertisement